X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard-to-find transmitter

I'm going to be doing a number of sewer locations in Detroit. The problem is that the older Detroit homes are combined sewers. Both the storm and sanitary systems are trapped in the basements before the tie-in together.

Because the systems are trapped, cameras don't turn the traps well and you can snap the push-rods pretty easily. It doesn't matter if you enter through a cleanout, a toilet or a vent - you always end up in the main trap. Mini See snakes will get through occasionally but it's risky. Energizing sewer cables doesn't allow a good pinpoint location. Flushable transmitters are useless on these jobs. At these depths, being very accurate is important because a lot of these sewers exit the rear of the homes and go to abandoned alleys. These are narrow backyards with very deep sewers - usually collapsed, eliminating any trenchless remedies. You have to dig, and digging in the wrong area creates huge, unnecessary spoil piles and makes the whole job more dangerous. You can lose a detached garage if you're not careful.

I'm looking for the shortest possible transmitter (512hz) that can be taped-on or attached to the end of a cable and be able to get through an old, 4" Cast Iron trap. I've lost a number of transmitters on these sewers. The shortest transmitter I can find to handle these depths is 3 1/4" long by Prototek. With plenty of persuasion, even these transmitters barely get through and hang-up frequently.
    Any ideas?
    Last edited by Pete M; 04-11-2008, 01:31 AM.
    Pete
    Drain Biz
    Articles, Videos, Industry News

Re: Hard-to-find transmitter

Originally posted by Pete M View Post
    I'm going to be doing a number of sewer locations in Detroit. The problem is that the older Detroit homes are combined sewers. Both the storm and sanitary systems are trapped in the basements before the tie-in together.

Because the systems are trapped, cameras don't turn the traps well and you can snap the push-rods pretty easily. It doesn't matter if you enter through a cleanout, a toilet or a vent - you always end up in the main trap. Mini See snakes will get through occasionally but it's risky. Energizing sewer cables doesn't allow a good pinpoint location. Flushable transmitters are useless on these jobs. At these depths, being very accurate is important because a lot of these sewers exit the rear of the homes and go to abandoned alleys. These are narrow backyards with very deep sewers - usually collapsed, eliminating any trenchless remedies. You have to dig, and digging in the wrong area creates huge, unnecessary spoil piles and makes the whole job more dangerous. You can lose a detached garage if you're not careful.

I'm looking for the shortest possible transmitter (512hz) that can be taped-on or attached to the end of a cable and be able to get through an old, 4" Cast Iron trap. I've lost a number of transmitters on these sewers. The shortest transmitter I can find to handle these depths is 3 1/4" long by Prototek. With plenty of persuasion, even these transmitters barely get through and hang-up frequently.
    Any ideas?
    You may want to check Ridgids remote transmitter #16728. They have stainless steel adapters so they attach like a cutter head on Ridgid cables. I would say both the 5/8" and 7/8" sectionals with the transmitter should clear a 4" trap.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

attach the transmitter to the end of the cable inside of a spring carrier.

prototek also made a 2 piece transmitter that had the aaa battery in the rear and the transmitter in the front. linked by a surgical tube. these were pretty flexable and can be taped or inserted inside the cable or carrier.

depending on the depth, they also made disposal transmitters that were very small and could be taped onto a cable.

also look into the goldack transmitters as they have good power penetration.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks for the responses
        Pete
        Drain Biz
        Articles, Videos, Industry News

Comment

Keep us updated Pete.Inquiring minds want to know.Hope everything went well. Kenneth
          Kenneth Collier
          Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
          Jackson, MS 39206
          (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
          drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

Pete,

Take a look at the site I have posted below. I have used their stuff in the past and it worked great. Really small to go through traps.

http://www.prototek.net/FMSeries.html
            www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

Working...
            X