SeeSnake Compact Repair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SeeSnake Compact Repair

Has anyone had any experience changing out the push cable (Cat #18758) on a SeeSnake Compact unit. Mine has been kinked and no longer works. Is this an order the parts and do-it-yourself job, or is it complicated enough that I should send it out for repair? The parts list looks like it could either way.

Re: SeeSnake Compact Repair

The SeeSnake cables are able to be re-terminated (NOT SPLICED) if you have a kink that is causing intermittent video/power. The process is something that SHOULD be completed by an authorized repair center. The pricing for the re-term is something that is dependant upon what all is necessary to complete the task parts wise. On average you could "estimate" parts for the re-term are in the range of $100-$150. Labor for this type of repair at the RIDGID Factory Service center is in the ballpark of $100-$150 (labor only) depending on your model. If you add that up you are generally between $200-$300 for a re-termination. Remember, these numbers are very rough estimates but should give you a decent idea of what it would cost you for a re-termination without any major components needing replaced (IE. Camera, Flexmitter, or new cable).

If you are only installing a newly purchased replacement cable for your compact, instead of re-terminating your existing cable at a shorter length you would generally spend about $50 for labor in addition to the cable price plus any additional for parts/connectors that are unable to be re-used for the dry end termination in the drum.

To comment on doing this type of repair on your own I would like to express caution. Not that it physically cannot be done, but I want you to understand the individuals that are "authorized" to repair these tools have all been involved in a 3 day training class on how to accomplish this task correctly. Also they have invested in specialized tooling to be able to complete the job properly. With this being said, your "average" repair guy who attempts to repair these on their own is taking a large risk on repairing a very expensive tool and very possibly without the necessary tooling. Ultimately your costs are lower by having a trained professional complete the job, not to mention the guarantee and piece of mind you will have knowing it has been done right.
    Last edited by Tech.Man; 04-15-2008, 03:30 PM. Reason: Adding comments specific for a Compact SS

Comment

Well put tech man.

Just make sure your push cable is orange for a repair. I only mention that because believe it or not I just saw a black one just the other day.

Comment

If yours are like mine, replacing the pushrod is pretty straightforward, just takes a little care.

If the pushrod is basically sound, and the kink is close enough to one end that you will have enough left to be usable, then send it out and have it reterminated.

Silverbullet? All my color mini pushrods are black. I've had some of them reterminated. What's the deal with orange vs. black?
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Black is the color of the early units orange is the newer color if I remember right.
          Bryce
          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Big Ben, check you PMs please

steve
            In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
              If yours are like mine, replacing the pushrod is pretty straightforward, just takes a little care.

If the pushrod is basically sound, and the kink is close enough to one end that you will have enough left to be usable, then send it out and have it reterminated.

Silverbullet? All my color mini pushrods are black. I've had some of them reterminated. What's the deal with orange vs. black?
              Cuda was right on. Black were the earlier ones, not the ealiest as those were blue, All the newer one, past few years are orange. The Compact units(not to be confused with mini) with black cables had an oil filled bladder behing the camera that is very difficult to repair and is actually easier to replace. You wont have any issue with the rest whether black or orange.

Comment

thanks for the clarification; mine are mini, not compact... thought 'compact' other nomenclature for mini hence the confusion.
                This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Working...
                X