Distance in 6" clay

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distance in 6" clay

Have been requested to bid a job. 2500' of 6" clay being replaced with 10" pvc. In 10 sections from manhole to manhole, longest 475', most 150' or so. Digger I've worked with before, required to camera and video before and after, and has asked me to bid.

I probably can do this with current equipment, but am worried about getting longer runs... for these I wash a string through, then have a 500' flexible cable I can hook the camera head to and pull through with a skid, but the skid won't fit in 6", and it is always a pain to use this... 2 people min and 3 is better, etc.

I am thinking of using this as an excuse to buy the full size reel with the 400' of larger pushrod ( have 200' mini's now).

What are your experiences in pushing 400' in 6" clay with the 12mil rod? Will this be possible? or will I be using a string to pull it through anyway?
    Last edited by Ace Sewer; 05-06-2008, 04:35 PM.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Re: Distance in 6" clay

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
    Have been requested to bid a job. 2500' of 6" clay being replaced with 10" pvc. In 10 sections from manhole to manhole, longest 475', most 150' or so. Digger I've worked with before, required to camera and video before and after, and has asked me to bid.

I probably can do this with current equipment, but am worried about getting longer runs... for these I wash a string through, then have a 500' fleible cable I can hook the camera head to and pull through with a skid, but the skid won't fit in 6", and it is always a pain to use this... 2 people min and 3 is better, etc.

I am thinking of using this as an excuse to buy the full size reel with the 400' of larger pushrod ( have 200' mini's now).

What are your experiences in pushing 400' in 6" clay with the 12mil rod? Will this be possible? or will I be using a string to pull it through anyway?
    Be careful before you bid the job. The code requires a manhole every 300' so he will have to add some manholes when he replaces the sewer. As far as how far you can push a camera my 325' self-leveling camera is tough to push 300' and often requires going both directions from the manhole to inspect 100%. I also would question the available light in a 10" line to do a thorough inspection.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Thanks for the comments Mark...

I'm not doing the replacement, just the camera before and after...If they add manholes, it just helps me on the after.

As to light in the 10" I'm thinking the pvc being white will be ok... this will be new line so just checking nothing got a rock dropped through it during backfill and grade is not grossly wrong and the services got tied back in.

You think light will be an issue in new 10" pvc? In the old 6" clay before?

The old is in service and functioning so can't be too badly blocked. They are replacing to increase size to handle new devolpment... mostly I am documenting locations of services so they get tied back in; they are not too concerned with identifying each possible crack as it needs to be replaced for size reasons anyway.

I will have a water truck avail so can wash a string through to pull the distance if I have to...

Also, will full size reel/camera work with mini monitors, or will I need a new monitor too?
      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
        Thanks for the comments Mark...

I'm not doing the replacement, just the camera before and after...If they add manholes, it just helps me on the after.

As to light in the 10" I'm thinking the pvc being white will be ok... this will be new line so just checking nothing got a rock dropped through it during backfill and grade is not grossly wrong and the services got tied back in.

You think light will be an issue in new 10" pvc? In the old 6" clay before?

The old is in service and functioning so can't be too badly blocked. They are replacing to increase size to handle new devolpment... mostly I am documenting locations of services so they get tied back in; they are not too concerned with identifying each possible crack as it needs to be replaced for size reasons anyway.

I will have a water truck avail so can wash a string through to pull the distance if I have to...

Also, will full size reel/camera work with mini monitors, or will I need a new monitor too?
        The reason I suggest you watch your bid is you will probably have to go both directions on the longer runs.

I don't think you will have any problems with the 6" line as the pre inspection is often just to see if any other laterals tie in. In the 10" you will not have a problem looking for debris or bellies but you may if a joint is in question.

The monitors will work with full size and minis.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

truthfully, i've tried long runs of 8'' and cable gets too flexible. also the lighting is weak, but it's easy to add a led flashlight. the white will reflect much better.

the whole process would be a snap with a crawler camera. now that's big money.

it really depends on what the owner is requesting and if you feel it will be of a benefit to them.

it might not too good of an image as you can't pan, tilt and zoom. 10'' is big pipe and even if you pull it in, there will be some quality issues.

get a 20' piece of 10'' pipe and attach the skids. write inside the pipe with a sharpie and give it a 1-12 clock face. see if you really think you can properly inspect before you bid.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

I have viewed a lot of large lines recently and have found it to be very frustrating. I've only been able to go a max of 130 ft. in perfect conditions. Whether plastic or clay it was still tough.

Pipe sizes varied between 6 - 10 inch. I rented a system a couple of weeks ago to complete a large inspection job in 6 and 8 inch pipe. Pan and tilt were not required so i used a bullet type crawler. It cost over a thousand a day but it was built into the bid.

If you try to use the push camera in anything above 8 inch it will become difficult to see. I use the Rabco skid below with the 3 high intensity LED's. It works great for about 130 ft. and after that it can't be pushed . It works in 6-8".

I wouldn't bite off more than you can chew. A push camera is not made for what you are looking to do. Let me know if you want a number of somewhere to rent a crawler system.

www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

Thanks jrsalts,
              I was at one point thinking about getting one of those as I can only push to 160'. At the show they looked like they would work but a demo pipe and the real world.....
              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Again, thanks for the comments...

From what I am hearing, the full size push camera will not be much better than the mini with some extra lighting in this application; probably can't push it etc... agree? no?

The crawler is what is really called for, any info on where I might rent one if I fail with current setup would be appreciated as a backup.

Also, failed to mention this line will be flowing for the before, will probably be flowing for the after. How does this affect the crawler?

I've already bitten, will just have to see if I can chew... I'm the king of making small eqipment work in situations it wasn't designed for, so maybe I'll pull the rabbit out the hat again this time.

I've been a little cavalier in taking this on with my undersized equipment...wanted to stetch a little and see what I can do, and also know they are not looking for too much detail; they just want to know roughly where the services are on the before camera. I know I can do that. The after is a little more important, but if I have problems with the before I can possibly rent the crawler for the after, and will have some time to set it up. I have some 12" pvc around so will test in that...I'll let y'all know if I get it and how it goes.

Comment

Working...
                X