Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leak detection equipment question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Leak detection equipment question

    Does anyone have or use leak detection equipment? I am looking to get into this and I was considering the Gen-Ear system.

    Any thoughts or info would be great.
    www.firstresponsedrain.com

  • #2
    Re: Leak detection equipment question

    I found a really good system, I will be purchasing this

    http://www.goldak.com/inner/waterlea...4360(sm).shtml

    this will do it all and for an excellent cost.

    goldak makes excellent equipment and has been time tested.
    sigpic

    Robert

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Leak detection equipment question

      Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
      I found a really good system, I will be purchasing this

      http://www.goldak.com/inner/waterlea...4360(sm).shtml

      this will do it all and for an excellent cost.

      goldak makes excellent equipment and has been time tested.
      I go way back with Goldak as my first equipment was bought in the early 70s. The equipment in the link you posted is the equipment I was using in the 80s. It is not bad equipment but it is old school and there is a bit of a learning curve before you can locate without reservation. Before you go to Goldak to buy equipment come borrow my MetroTech and my NaviTrack stuff for a test drive.

      Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

      I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Leak detection equipment question

        mark, that was the same garbage they sold me back in the early 80's.

        even goldak will tell you it sucked. i still give them a hard time when i see them. they do admit it was a poor microphone.

        i still have their old locator. i guess it was ok at the time as there wasn't a locator for cast back then. that was the days that you needed to know how to locate. needed to use triangulation. no bells and whistles.

        rick.
        phoebe it is

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Leak detection equipment question

          I'm not sure I would say it sucked but to today standards it is way behind. When I bought my first locator (LC-6) I went down to pick it up and they told me it wasn't a very good unit. At the time it was what I could afford and I got it to work pretty good. Then in about 1980 I went back and bought a PB-44 pipe locator (replaced by the 5600) and a 777A leak locator. I had research this stuff for a while and thought for sure it was the best you could buy. First thing Goldak told me when I went to pick it up was that the microphone was junk and even they won't use it. However, for an extra fee I could replace the mic with a Shure mic.

          The truth is with a lot of work you can get pretty good with this equipment but you will never be able to be as accurate as you can with more modern equipment. If you do buy this equipment I would advise you ask them about a training session or two. Back in the day they had classes at their shop every Monday morning.

          Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

          I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Leak detection equipment question

            I need some info on this myself. I just purchased the Gen-ear system but have not gotten it out of the case yet. If there is better leak detection equipment I'd like to know cause I can still return the Gen-ear if I decide to go with a different piece of equipment.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Leak detection equipment question

              what is the best system. we are still using air compressor and geo phones.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Leak detection equipment question

                For pipe locating 100% Ridgid. For Leak Locating I prefer MetroTech because Ridgid doesn't make it.

                Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Leak detection equipment question

                  Having worked for American Leak Detection(I ran the entire northern half of Nevada) This is kind of my forte. They use a leak finder that looks just like the goldak but they rip off the stickers and put there name all over it and call it proprietary to try to get people to think no one else can get it. Now that I am starting my own business I own the metro tech HL-4000 and wow what a difference. This thing is AMAZING it filters out everything but the frequency you want. I Looked at the gen ear online just now and it look like some kind of sick joke. Metro tech no longer makes the hl-4000 but the hl 5000 is basicly the same thing(different cables and different shape microphone otherwise the same) the base price for the 5000 is 2,675.00 but as with all listening equipment it knowing how to use it. if your looking to find leaks on acrage(trailer parks, large irrigation systems) you'll need more than listening equipment which is rentable online for more info email me. I don't feel like posting for every joe blow to see. I am also more than happy to help with specific problems.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Leak detection equipment question

                    Originally posted by nomoreleak View Post
                    Having worked for American Leak Detection(I ran the entire northern half of Nevada) This is kind of my forte. They use a leak finder that looks just like the goldak but they rip off the stickers and put there name all over it and call it proprietary to try to get people to think no one else can get it. Now that I am starting my own business I own the metro tech HL-4000 and wow what a difference. This thing is AMAZING it filters out everything but the frequency you want. I Looked at the gen ear online just now and it look like some kind of sick joke. Metro tech no longer makes the hl-4000 but the hl 5000 is basicly the same thing(different cables and different shape microphone otherwise the same) the base price for the 5000 is 2,675.00 but as with all listening equipment it knowing how to use it. if your looking to find leaks on acrage(trailer parks, large irrigation systems) you'll need more than listening equipment which is rentable online for more info email me. I don't feel like posting for every joe blow to see. I am also more than happy to help with specific problems.

                    I started using Goldak in the early 70s and got pretty good with it. I now have the Metrotech HL4000 and I agree with your WOW.

                    Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                    I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Leak detection equipment question

                      I have the Metrotech but I also have a couple of Fisher detectors and I must say that I prefer to use them most of the time. But 98% of the leaks that I look for are under pool aprons so I am not covering a gigantic area but I also like to be fairly precise so that I don't have to start another hole!!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Leak detection equipment question

                        I have used the Gen Ear for a couple of years now. Mostly to locate leaks in irrigation systems and also to locate "lost" sprinkler electric valves.

                        I was having trouble locating a leak on a particular job so I purchased the Gen Ear thinking I would use it more than i do. I have successfully located several leaks with it but have also been unsuccessful with it. Probably due to my inexperience and the fact that I'm too lazy to hook up my air compressor to the mainline to increase the pressure of the water (Though I have used helium with good results).

                        I can't comment on nomoreleaks statement that the Gen Ear "look like a sick joke" as I haven't used the metro device. At $3000+ I hope it looks like a Shakespeare sonnet.
                        "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Leak detection equipment question

                          I`m a little new in this field, purchasing new equipment, so I jumped right in purchased one of these LD-18 detectors. I`m pretty sure it will serve me for a few years.

                          http://www.subsurfaceleak.com/ld18_prod_pg.html

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Leak detection equipment question

                            Originally posted by Root Ranger View Post
                            I`m a little new in this field, purchasing new equipment, so I jumped right in purchased one of these LD-18 detectors. I`m pretty sure it will serve me for a few years.

                            http://www.subsurfaceleak.com/ld18_prod_pg.html
                            There is a limit to the amount of equipment one needs before out souceing so I just call in a croud that specializes in leak dection and thats all they do, they find in within 100mm and I repair the leak, my client is happy and so am I

                            Tony

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I am interested in starting a leak detection company. Where do I get trained? How do I determine the best equipment. I'm all ears!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X