X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for remote monitor solution for Seesnake

I have a customer who asks me if there are any good remote monitors in the marked that can be attached to the Seesnake RCA monitor output connector with a 200 meter RCA cable.

We have a company that is doing pipe rehabilitation with specialized tools from both ends of the pipe. But they dont want to extract the push rod to tread it into the other end when they have to move to work form the other side.

Maybe there is another solution to this? They primarily asked for a 200 meter Seesnake video extension cable between the drum and the monitor, but I dont think this will work because the signal drop over such length will be too much.
    Regards,
    Severin A Eskeland, Eskeland Electronics AS, N-1400 Ski, NORWAY
    www.Detektor.no > Metal Detectors, Line Locators, Leak Detectors, Inspection Cameras, Data Loggers and Fault Locators

Re: Looking for remote monitor solution for Seesnake

i would assume the signal will need to be boosted for that run. you could do it with a cheapo video amp. know anyone in a cable company?? hint hint wink

that is a good question. josh, what is the signal strength comming from the video out? volts peak to peak?

expiring minds want to know

steve
    In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

I have used 500' between camera head and monitor... it works with that much...200 m is what, about 700'? plus the pushrod... probably double what ive done total, or a bit more.
      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

good question... I'll see if Thomas can stop on here and answer this one.

Josh

Comment

Doing some tests now - Please stay tuned.

TCY

Comment

Some comments:

To extend a monitor out to 200 meters, it is best to leave the Camera Control Unit close to the Reel. Then use the front panel auxiliary video output jack to connect to a remote monitor. This will prevent an excessive voltage drop between the Camera Control Unit and the Camera. You will also get a higher a higher quality video signal if a coaxial cable is used between the Camera Control Unit and the remote monitor. The coaxial cable should be a good low loss type such as RG-11, but RG-6 or RG-59 could be used. All three of these cable types can be purchased at Radio Shack and are available from Allied etc. If possible, buy a cable with connectors already on the ends because making a durable connection to coaxial cable is something of an art. Typically, pre-terminated cable will have ‘BNC’ type connectors on it but adapters are readily available at Radio Shack etc. to mate to the ‘RCA’ type connector on the Camera Control Unit front panel. Depending on what connector you have on your remote monitor, you may need an adapter for that as well. If your remote monitor has an input termination switch, set it to the 75 Ohm position. Try not to let your coaxial cable get walked on or driven over, distorting the cable will degrade the video quality.

Just set this up as per the above instructions using 1000' of RG59. Worked beautifully.

TCY

From the Radioshack website:

Cables Commonly used in Consumer Audio/Video
            RG-# Acronym Ohms General Info
            RG-6/U (/Universal) 75 Used for video connections.
            RG-6QS Quad-Shielded 75 Provides higher protection against radio interference and loss.
            RG-11/U (/Universal) 75 Used to minimize signal loss, such as due to low signal or a long cable run.
            RG-58/U (/Universal) 50 Used for CB, Ham, shortwave and scanner antenna hookups.
            RG-59/U (/Universal) 75 Used in place of RG-6 for some applications.
            RG-8/U (/Universal) 50 Used for CB, Ham, shortwave and scanner antenna hookups.
            RG-8M Mini 50 Has a smaller diameter than RG-8, but a larger diameter than RG-8/X. Used for CB, Ham, shortwave and scanner antenna hookups.
            RG-8X eXtra-mini 50 Has a very small diameter. Used for CB, Ham, shortwave and scanner antenna hookups.
            RG-9/U (/Universal) 51 Used with communications equipment.

Comment

personally i'd stay away from Radio Shack cable as it is low end consumer quality at best. Amphenol RG-11 would be my suggestion.

santander, if you know someone in a tech position at a cable company or TV station have them make up your cable(s) as needed. i'd also consider the possibility of a variable video amp (again like they use in cable installations) to control the signal to the remote monitor.

steve
              In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

hello, i already suspected we had to go for the coax cable solution. the cable is not the problem. finding a reliable and affordable color monitor that is well suited for field use is the problem.
                Regards,
                Severin A Eskeland, Eskeland Electronics AS, N-1400 Ski, NORWAY
                www.Detektor.no > Metal Detectors, Line Locators, Leak Detectors, Inspection Cameras, Data Loggers and Fault Locators

Comment

Sony Broadcast or Panasonic Broadcast. there are other less explensive field units but this is what we used when i was in field broadcasting/maintenance

also look for pro A/V companies

steve

Comment

Working...
                  X