Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Easy Cam-fix it yourself camera

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
    years ago the pre ridgid seesnake, even the early see snakes had an optional power pack. this was nothing more than a power box with lighting controls and rca jacks.

i still have 2 of them.

this would allow you to buy your own tv/ vcr like i did in the real early days.

rick.
    If it was done in the past, we should be able to do it today. It looks like the details have been worked out, just not sold anymore.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
      If it was done in the past, we should be able to do it today. It looks like the details have been worked out, just not sold anymore.
      That would put me in the running for one. And it would make Ridgid more money possibly. There reel/camera sales could double more than offsetting profit from monitors.

J.C.

Comment

I hear what you're saying but a lot of people want to buy seesnake but can't afford one. If they could buy just the reel and supply their own monitor, the seesnake would look more affordable. The monitor cost 1500 to 4k for what is essentially a souped up tv. Do I love my seesnake, HELL YES!! Would I buy anything else? HELL NO, but I got lucky with my camera and bought it from a friend. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to afford one. I could see buying just the reel at 6k and using it with a standard tv. It sounds like from what Rick and Steve(all clear) is that this technology used to exist, why not bring it back?
        This is the crux of the matter Ridgid sells great equipment but the seesnake is beyound the cost of the general plumber at 14K for a 200' sneesnake with an LCD monitor + DVD recorder you would think the more they sell then the cost would come down but dosen`t, why ?????????

Tony

Comment

Imagine this scenario; you have to inspect a sewer line when your monitor conks out. You only have one and now you lost the job because it has to get sent to the repair center. Now what if you could use anything as a monitor? You could leave the job, go to walmart and buy a cheap tv to get you back up and running. Might be a good selling point.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

i still have 2 power packs $$$.

my first monitor tv/vcr was a 9'' ac/dc. cost was $120-150. i still have 4 of them. 2 have bad vcr's.

i guess they decided to stop selling them

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, which did you prefer? powerpack or seesnake monitor?
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Rick, which did you prefer? powerpack or seesnake monitor?
                funny as the one i prefer is the color toolcase.

they stopped making that too

what next, no more k-60's

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

north state still has them available.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

north state still has them available.
                    i called and they're out of stock, but expecting it after the 16th.

don't know where they are getting it from as it's been discontinued over a year ago

they did get an inquiry yesterday. was that you

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

toolup has em too.

Comment

Here's an interesting tid bit for you all:

The easy cam was created by a former Mr. Rooter guy. He is still very involved with them from what i am told. It is the camera system that they push on all the new franchisees. Most of the new owners don't know any better and buy one because it is endorsed by Mr. Rooter.

I have used one of these and it is lousy. I personally do not want to have to buy a separate TV unless it is in a heavy duty case such as what the SeeSnake monitor has. Finding tube TVs is soon to be a thing of the past.

I see a bunch of crap being dragged around with a system like this which is a catalyst for disaster.

Give me a reel and a well built monitor with all the components built in and i will be on my way. I love my SeeSnake and I know I have gotten what i paid for. Thank God I didnt buy the Insight system.

This is not a part of our job we should slack on. Inspection and location is a HUGE part of what we do and i am willing to pay a premium for it.

As far as it failing on the job, this is a risk we take. Having a backup would be best but i certainly not afford this option but Alan J Coleman where i bought my SeeSnake will send me out any component the same day I call them free of charge until mine is repaired. I have to pay shipping but at least I can typically get back to the job the next day in most cases.

Again, I feel this is a "You get what you pay for" type of thing. Ridgid chooses to make the best and I think they should continue to move forward with technology in this area rather than reverting back to old ideas.
                        www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

I have a cheap system ($3000.00) dollars with a plane moniter. It's just a cheep TV. When it worked it was good, but I broke the head 3 times. only once under the 1 year warrenty. I also had to tape a sond on it. Finally had to spend some bigger money for one that seems to hold up better.

Besides do we want video equipment to get so inexpensive even home owners can afford them .

Comment

If they cut the price of a SeeSnake in half a homeowner will not buy one. But alot more plumbers might.

J.C.

Comment

Being able to rely on a critcal tool is worth almost any price. The shape, weight, feel, convenience, of a tool you use every day matter way more than it's initial cost. That is why Snap-on can sell auto tools at ~10 times the cost of craftsman... when you need it, it's there and you can count on it to work, and work nicely.

I really want digital recording. But I know myself well enough to know that having to lug around and break out an extra box will drive me crazy. Having to tape on a sonde, futz with batteries for it, etc would just plain suck. Having everything integrated and working nicely and reliably is worth the cost. I'm using another camera setup. The main thing that drove me there was a frustrating reliability problem that now appears to be solved. Digital recording was another consideration. Price was the third, but I'm finding that to get the same capabilities I have with the Ridgid equipment I am in the same ballpark on price. I think it just must cost that much to build a decent system and bring it to market and back it up appropriately if the 3 mfrs I've looked at all cost about the same.

If you buy a cheap system, I think you will eventually go away from it anyway as it will not do what you need it to, will break often enough, and will be enough of a pain to use you will give up on it. I see it as a stop gap measure at best... add some capability until you can buy the good equipment. Better I think to just find a way to get what you need off the bat as even a 'cheap' system is not cheap, and that investment will be lost when you inevitably give up on it.
                              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                                Ben, I took a look at the easycam site. They are over promising on what you can plug the thing into. You cant use an ipod as a display... or at least I have no idea how you would make that work. As far as plugging into a laptop you would also need a capture card built in or installed on the laptop to be able to transfer the display to the screen. And yes you could plug a vcr or dvd recorder directly into the easycam but ya still need to be able to see whats down the pipe. Need some type of monitor.

All our monitors provide the same capability... easycam just takes the monitor out of the equation and allows you to "roll your own".

Josh

I purchased my Easy Cam over a year ago, and use the system recommended by them on my laptop. The camera does come with a monitor, but I need the recording capability. I called Easy Cam and inquired about the system. They refered me to go to Best Buy or any other computer store and purchase a Dazzle video unit. This unit cost me around $50.00 and allows me to connect the video through my USB port. The unit comes with software to record on, however the reps at Easy Cam talked me through a free internet download that allows me to record in nearly any video format, and also allows me to view in full screen. I found the whole experience rather simple and wouldn't give up my current system for anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X