X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem locating a lateral with General

I have a Gen_eye 2. I have never had a problem locating clay lines.
    Today I inspect a lateral and I just could not get a read on the DAMN thing while it was in their lateral. Once I was in the main I had no problem, but as soon as I pulled back into the lateral the signal just went CRAZY.
    99%, 44%, 86% ,32%, 20% ETC...The signal just went crazy, even when I stayed still. 2 months ago I had trouble locating a lateral 500' down the road on the other side of the street but with some work I was able to hone in on it.
    Could it be something in the soil?
    Fiber Optic line? (Hospital just down the road).
    Overhead wires?
    No underground wires that I'm aware of.
    I even went to buy brand new batteries and after it seamed to cut down on back ground signals but I still could not hone in on it.
    Anyone have any Ideas on what could cause this before I go .
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Re: Problem locating a lateral with General

Are you locating a transmitter in a General Camera head? Did you possibly transition into cast or Ductile Iron? Could the line be tilted at 45 or more degrees?

What kind of locator are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by TCY View Post
      Are you locating a transmitter in a General Camera head? Did you possibly transition into cast or Ductile Iron? Could the line be tilted at 45 or more degrees?

What kind of locator are you using?

there's a reason why you're in san diego and a moderator

take good care of josh, we know how to find you

my first guess was ductile iron or similar solid pipe.

you are using a 512hz. transmitter.

batteries were a good call, but it worked once in the clay line.

i have issues while inside next to computer monitors.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Yes to the General camera head, whilst using a general locater. 512Hz.

100% sure I was in clay pipe but it was acting like an exaggerated version of locating in deep Cast Iron.

Ground level at basement approx 6' deep. got a reading of 7 1/2' at main. Consistent with terrain/area.

Unless depth reading is wrong at main no chance lateral is running at 45 or more.

Why do you ask if more then 45 degrees? I have never heard this brought up before. Are you implying that this could throw the signal off?
        Last edited by Gene Bickford; 08-21-2008, 07:47 PM.
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          there's a reason why you're in san diego and a moderator

take good care of josh, we know how to find you

my first guess was ductile iron or similar solid pipe.

you are using a 512hz. transmitter.

batteries were a good call, but it worked once in the clay line.

i have issues while inside next to computer monitors.

rick.

It never worked in THEIR clay line, only in the town main. I located it twice in the town main with no problem what so ever, but as soon as I pulled back into their lateral every time all I got was 99%, 64%, 13%, 89%. All over the board ya know? That's the part thats throwing me off????

Comment

The town main is clay also.

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
              Why do you ask if more then 45 degrees? I have never heard this brought up before. Are you implying that this could throw the signal off?
              if the sonde is laying roughly flat in the pipe you will get the peak signal (center of sonde) and the 2 nodes (either end of the sonde). if the pipe is canted and the sonde is not parallel to horizontal you can only pick up one of the nodes and maybe not the peak at all.

steve
              In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

sometimes electrical signals can cause spurious emissions and can play havoc with the signal. also, a real problem for me, the salt content of the soil can throw the locate off.

steve
                In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Working...
                X