Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: First shot at "real" equipment

Originally posted by plumberjr View Post
    --i know some locals with mytanas and geneyes--both guys have spent alot of $$$$ sending them in for repairs
    Oh boy I hate to hear that. I use Mytana so far so good. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Dunbar I don't think you will go wrong with Ridgid video stuff. It's what most people use and lasts a long time. Talk to me in a couple years about Mytana

Comment

I have an equipment charge of $250 per day per project (plus my hourly rate) and another $250 if I use the locator. The equipment charge is the same whether I do one line or a dozen lines. It's not really about how long it takes to pay back the equipment cost it is the extra work you get because of the equipment.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

This brings an interesting question to mind. I attended a plumbing show with multiple cameras and companies. The interesting thing is that ALL of the other companies pushrod, head, and some (3 or more) had what appeared to be the same monitor/case combination. Just different colors. The GenEye guy basically told me this was so.

Makes me wonder....Who makes the equipment for them to resale?

P.S. I didn't get to put my hands on the Ridgid model but it did not look like the same as the others which looked almost identical to each other.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
          I see your point but I sure do like the $250 an hour as opposed to $150 for the job. The trouble with my price is if something breaks. I know it's like that with any tool but $150.00 just seems cheep.

I knew my compititions price going into it, so I have only me to blame.
          point taken. whatever the market will bear. california prices are going to be WAY HIGHER than what i can charge here and stay in business.

but at $250/hr with a 2 hour minimum most folks pass.

but i'm doing a job and use the camera to check out the line afterwards i just continue with my regular hourly. the client is happy, gets to watch, sees the roots or whatever, sees the clean pipe and i'm still making money. BTW did i mention the client is happy?

steve
          In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            Makes me wonder....Who makes the equipment for them to resale?
            I asked the same thing many moons ago and was suprised by the lack of response. Many plumbing tools are the same with just a different name.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Well, when I saw this thread I cringed because about 20 minutes ago I found just that in my storm drain between the shop and house.

It's 24' out and I don't know how to catch it from an intersecting wye, given the sweep follows the direction of the drain.

I can't even get water to jet these back towards the opening of the concrete drain.

I'm thinking shop vac hooked to a section of 2" to "hopefully" bring them back. I'm out of options because I poured that concrete with fiber-mesh, no way I'm jacking that stuff out to get those out of the pipe.

As for 3 more camera inspections today, only 1, mine was done. Didn't even pull the equipment off the truck for the first one because I had no pipe to run the camera through.

2nd job declined because I think she's strapped for cash.

The monitor for this gen-eye is extremely heavy, 200' spool of camera isn't a light assembly either.

It did everything I wanted the equipment to do, made money, going to make my outside plumber money.

Next pumper show I'll be sure to study ridgid's equipment. I've heard nothing but good as well before I even joined this site, so that's a plus.
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                I have an equipment charge of $250 per day per project (plus my hourly rate) and another $250 if I use the locator. The equipment charge is the same whether I do one line or a dozen lines. It's not really about how long it takes to pay back the equipment cost it is the extra work you get because of the equipment.

Mark
                I like the way you put it Mark, "its not about how long it takes to pay back the equipment cost, its the extra work you get because of the equipment"
                I`ve been charging my camera out at $220.00 per job plus labour plus locating but if it has to be dug up I refer it to a mate who specializes in dig ups and I get an extra spotters fee of $200.00 as I am not interested in replacments.

Tony

Comment

my point was at a certain $$ how long it takes to pay the machine off.

i charge $150/hr for the camera if it's a specific look & locate. my pricing, while lower than my competition, is more affordable in my market. and so i get more business, including those can't afford to use him.

steve
                  In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X