X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too many locators!

Ok, I need a locator for my new job, need to be able to trace out existing storm lines, sewer lines, electrical for surveying as well as aiding in as-built prints. We had an old Goldak unit that I coundnt get to turn on let alone locate anything with. My budget is about 5k for the locator and transmitter and that leaves me a lot of options, both Ridgid and others, no real rush on this if anyone has any recommendations or anything to stay away from Id really like to know. My options are:

Ridgid Seektech sr-20 w/ 10 watt transmitter
    Ridgid NaviTrackII w/ transmitter
    Metrotech 98890 XT w/ transmitter
    Metro Tech 810 DX w/ transmitter
    Fisher TW-8800 Locator and transmitter
    McLaughlin G2 digital locator

Re: Too many locators!

For what you listed out I would say the SR-20 over the Navitrack. I will let other chime in though. I would be a bit partial to our products in my response ;-) At least I helped you decide between the 2 Ridgid.

Josh

Comment

well they ARE at the top of my list Josh!

Comment

go with sr 20-----i have one and its awesome----i have 5 watt trans and have followed water main about 600 ft with no real drop in signal---it has saved me a lot of time and money----its accuracy is something u have to see to believe---i was going to buy 10 watt but was advised it is only necessary if locating over 1 mile of pipe--------my local ridgid rep told me of a cool story--------he was trying to explain power of sr-20 to contracter that does water main work---to show him how powerful it is with 10 watt, they hooked up and dove over 2 miles, getting out at intersections to show how powerful and accurate it is---not surprising, he bought that day----it is awesome and the passive trace is cool too------mine is a major asset

Comment

dont buy navitrack----seektech is much better

Comment

Originally posted by plumberjr View Post
            go with sr 20-----i have one and its awesome----i have 5 watt trans and have followed water main about 600 ft with no real drop in signal---it has saved me a lot of time and money----its accuracy is something u have to see to believe---i was going to buy 10 watt but was advised it is only necessary if locating over 1 mile of pipe--------my local ridgid rep told me of a cool story--------he was trying to explain power of sr-20 to contracter that does water main work---to show him how powerful it is with 10 watt, they hooked up and dove over 2 miles, getting out at intersections to show how powerful and accurate it is---not surprising, he bought that day----it is awesome and the passive trace is cool too------mine is a major asset
            That is exactly why I wanted the 10 watt. As-built on 16 miles of watermain. I do have hydrants every 500 feet but if i can do a mile or two in one pop that will make my life much easier.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberjr View Post
              dont buy navitrack----seektech is much better
              As much as I like my Navitack I have heard the same thing.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

do any of them give an accurate depth without running a sonde?

Comment

the seektech is the most accurate locater i have ever seen---i use the transmitter to locate sewer lines--i run the snake and hook trans to it, then locate--depth is always right on---always----i do use the sonde, but using trans to power up cable gives just as accurate depth

the rep told me the price is close on stech and navi, but seektech is way better and many more options, stronger and way more accurate--if u are locating miles, u may be better off with sr60 and 10 watt------i know the 60 has more options and more frequencies, which is better for heavy utility areas

Comment

go Seektech! I have the SR-60 which has a few more bells and whistles and it is one of my biggest money makers.

I love the thing and it has allowed me to open doors with several local contractors for other services.

You wont regret buying a 20 or 60.
                    www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

call ur local rep---he will bring one out to demo--i think my rep runs out to ur neck of the woods, i think, i may be wrong----hes a large territory rep---

good luck---you will thank us if u buy sr-20 or sr-60----trust me

Comment

Since you guys are on the subjected. I have the scout. Is it worth getting a line transmitter for it or is only good for 512hz sondes.

The reason I ask is to do more locating. I would like to locate my cable. especially if someone only wants a pipe locate only and it has a few to many bends for a camera.

What do you guys know about this

Thanks Mike

Comment

Working...
                        X