Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seasnake and Drain cables in same pipe

Hi all
    I am looking to the Hall of knowledge here if this is a silly thing to do or if you guy's regularly do this.
    I have a Ridgid 1500 drain cleaner and in the past if I am using a camera (naturally seasnake) I have pulled out the cables because I am a bit scared of the spring head getting caught in the sectional cables or something even worse.
    The only problem pulling out the cables it is time consuming in you are down six cables, so my question is do any of you push in the camera on top of the cables.
    Also being Australian and with the expense of camera equipment I am smart enough not to turn on the drain machine with the camera inside.

Simon

Re: Seasnake and Drain cables in same pipe

It would make me darn nervous trying it out. Wouldn't advise doing it. Plus if it ever did get tangled up apart from the cost there is also some current running down through there to power those LEDs.

Has anyone else done this in the past. I am curious.

BTW. welcome to the forum. Good to add to the number of Ausies.

Comment

I wouldn't turn the cable while the seesnake is in the line. Think of what you risk by taking a shortcut.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I have done it a couple of times . It makes me nervous as he11. I REALLY don't think it's a good idea.

Yet I have, and probably will do it again.

How much does a new push cable cost again?
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

with jetting i pull the camera back a good foot before i turn on the water.

with snaking i also pull back the camera once i have the blades at the point of interest.

usually i will remove the camera, but there are times when i will leave it as it's a long push.

as long as the drain cable is not bent, the is very little danger of damaging the seesnake cable. especially with water in the pipe to help lube it.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

I do this commonly with either the snake or jetter in the line. Don't rotate the snake (much... you can turn it over by hand a few times and be ok). The cables will wind up around each other and you have to pull them out together and unwrap them. Agree with Rick use caution with the jetter don't blast the camera head.
            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Some Day Plumbing View Post
              Hi all
              I am looking to the Hall of knowledge here if this is a silly thing to do or if you guy's regularly do this.
              I have a Ridgid 1500 drain cleaner and in the past if I am using a camera (naturally seasnake) I have pulled out the cables because I am a bit scared of the spring head getting caught in the sectional cables or something even worse.
              The only problem pulling out the cables it is time consuming in you are down six cables, so my question is do any of you push in the camera on top of the cables.
              Also being Australian and with the expense of camera equipment I am smart enough not to turn on the drain machine with the camera inside.

Simon
              Your a braver man than I am Gung a Dim.

Tony

Comment

i've run the camera down the line with the cable still in but NOT turning. always retrieve the camera before cutting

steve
                In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

I have done this when I am called to retrieve lost or broken cable as long as it is not too far.
                  I will push the new cable in and once I have gotten to the other cable I will watch and spin cable by hand until I have secured the other cable and then I will pull out the camera.
                  I use different things to retrieve cables.

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                    I have done it a couple of times . It makes me nervous as he11. I REALLY don't think it's a good idea.

Yet I have, and probably will do it again.

How much does a new push cable cost again?
                    Same here
                    http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

I know it takes a lot longer but I snake I pull it out I run the camera in, I pull it out and I snake again then run the camera again!
                      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Working...
                      X