X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me buy a sewer camera.

If money was no object I would buy a brand new seesnake mini color with 200' of cable. Since I don't have $9,000 laying around, I may need to go with other options.

*should I buy used?

*should I just get the compact with 100' of push-rod, instead of the mini?

*should I get another brand camera that might cost less?

I will be mainly using it for 4" residential sewer laterals. I will VERY rarely have to go out beyond 100', so I am leaning towards the compact seesnake.

I have a lot of experience using the seesnakes at my old company. I have used the large seesnake and the mini and the compact. I like the mini the best, but the compact is more affordable.

Any advice is appreciated. If anyone wants to sell a used seesnake, PM me.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Re: Help me buy a sewer camera.

Carl,

You've already picked out the right setup now figure out how to buy/save for it. Right now $7351.21 will get you a brand new 200' Mini w/a ToolCase Monitor at Toolup.com.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Mark, I can get a compact for only $4000. Do you think its worth the extra money for the mini? I know the mini has double the range and is easier to push, but its also a lot more money.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
        Mark, I can get a compact for only $4000. Do you think its worth the extra money for the mini? I know the mini has double the range and is easier to push, but its also a lot more money.
        YES

Rick, Ben and I all use a mini with a ToolCase monitor as our primary system. Rick has several other units and I have a full size self-leveling plus a second ToolCase monitor.

Mark

Comment

You are right. Why go half-way? I'll get the mini. Now I just have to save some dough. I am getting more and more sewer jobs each week with my new ad campaign. With all the extra work, I should be able to save up and buy one in no time.

Comment

I really like the toolcase monitor. It has a wide stable base that doesn't tip on roofs. The smaller monitor isn't a problem at all. I would stick with the mini color. Sometimes you can find good deals on ebay. A friend of mine could've gotten a brand new dvd monitor, full size 200' see snake and a navitrack locator for 5k if he would've listened to me. The seller ended up pulling the sale and selling each component seperatly.

Last year for the cleaner special, they were selling a seesnake, dvd monitor and scout locator for 10k. I would stick with ridgid simply because of Josh. No other company has as good customer service with a product. He listens to us and really tries to make sure we get what we paid for. Did you see the thread on plumbing zone about the guy who spent 10k on a gen eye and the camera doesn't even work? I'll stick with ridgid.
            Last edited by gear junkie; 09-14-2008, 08:25 PM.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
              I really like the toolcase monitor.
              me too

It has a wide stable base that doesn't tip on roofs. The smaller monitor isn't a problem at all. I would stick with the mini color. Sometimes you can find good deals on ebay. A friend of mine could've gotten a brand new dvd monitor, full size 200' see snake and a navitrack locator for 5k if he would've listened to me. The seller ended up pulling the sale and selling each component seperatly.

Last year for the cleaner special, they were selling a seesnake, dvd monitor and scout locator for 10k.

I would stick with ridgid simply because of Josh.

i don't think there is any other company out there that has a person so connected as we have with josh

No other company has as good customer service with a product. He listens to us and really tries to make sure we get what we paid for. Did you see the thread on plumbing zone about the guy who spent 10k on a gen eye and the camera doesn't even work? I'll stick with ridgid.

i can tell you this. with all the cameras i have, the ridgid ones are the ones that i use. the rest, i'll make you a deal on

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

I have said this before but it just happened again this last week, I go to a job that I have been working on for a while, I know I only have to go 67' to a pair of seperations with roots 2' apart. The line is clay 4". I root it over and over (with the k-60) and go to see my results I brought my mini instead of my fullsize to save space and ease of transportation, I get thru several bends and get 4' from where I need to be and bam it won't go. I soap up the line, run water, wd 40 on the first bend, I try different guides I try no guide I use a figure 8 coil to manage it and finally I get it there. My fullsize has already done this one several times in seconds!
                The time I wasted making the mini do the job far offset me bringing the bigger unit. I like the mini in 2" lines but in 3 and 4 inch with cast or clay it is like using a toy. And I think I will actually damage the line someday with all the coaxing and tricks. In ABS or PVC it works much better but hardly anyone needs my camera in those new of pipes.
                Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Thanks Cuda. So you think I should spring for the fullsize instead of the mini!

I was going to get the compact with 100'.

Mark said to get the mini with 200'.

And Now you are saying get the SesnakePlus fullsize with 325' feet!
                  I 'll have to save money for longer, but I guess I will if the push-rod is that much better.
                  Last edited by Service Guy; 09-15-2008, 12:55 AM.

Comment

Not the 325' I have that one also just the fullsize 200' model. Get a nice one on ebay used to get you started and buy your choice of power source, ie the suitcase,a vcr model anything to get started! If you find a deal on a smaller viewer you can hook it to a cheap laptop and you are in business. I have bought 2 of my 4 seesnakes on ebay from tool sellers. I used to use the compact alot but that was just to get a look into things not for a recording plus mine is B/W. 90% of my work is done with the fullsize but I am talking 3-4 inch clay and cast iron. Usually when they want me to look it ain't pretty inside!
                    Last edited by Cuda; 09-15-2008, 01:05 AM.
                    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

the fullsize is the best size for 90% of my work. the mini will get into 1.5'' lines, but the majority of my work is 3-6'' pipe.

if the mini had the stiffer push rod, it would be fine.

think of the full size as k-60 7/8'' cable and the mini as k-50 5/8'' cable. what is your go to machine?

i have a plenty of both. the full size is the one that gets used the most.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

here's my thought [process and what i did.

i needed a camera. after a ton of research the RIDGID line was the only choice. couldn't justify the expense of a full sized See Snake. the mini scared me wiht stories of pushrods getting bent/tweaked, etc. the compact made the most sense to me. AND when i can afford a a full sized camera/cable (2ooft) i'll just buy that and use my compact monitor/ccu to drive it.

so far i do not regret the decision. i still have money in the bank (the full size would have cleaned the coffers) nad only once was i not abble to get past 80feet. this pipe (old cast 4") had a lip and belly together. just couldn'take the jump. but since they were going to tie into the city before the 80 foot mark it was no big thing.

anyway that's my rationale.

steve
                        In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                          If money was no object I would buy a brand new seesnake mini color with 200' of cable. Since I don't have $9,000 laying around, I may need to go with other options.

*should I buy used?

*should I just get the compact with 100' of push-rod, instead of the mini?

*should I get another brand camera that might cost less?

I will be mainly using it for 4" residential sewer laterals. I will VERY rarely have to go out beyond 100', so I am leaning towards the compact seesnake.

I have a lot of experience using the seesnakes at my old company. I have used the large seesnake and the mini and the compact. I like the mini the best, but the compact is more affordable.

Any advice is appreciated. If anyone wants to sell a used seesnake, PM me.
                          I was in the same dilemma at the beginning of this year trying to justify buying the cheaper compact or mini but in the end after listening Rick and others on this forum I bought the 200' seesnake plus and haven`t looked back.
                          You see when you get to the job you don`t know what is involved and just how many bends that sewerage pipe you are going to inspect has and with the stiffer push cable the plus has you can go further with ease.

Tony

Comment

Carl,

This just shows you we are all a little different and so are our needs. I carry the mini and the full size on the truck and the mini gets 99% of the work. I find I can generally push the mini 100' without a problem but at 100' I've negotiated enough fittings I can't push any further.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                              Carl,

This just shows you we are all a little different and so are our needs. I carry the mini and the full size on the truck and the mini gets 99% of the work. I find I can generally push the mini 100' without a problem but at 100' I've negotiated enough fittings I can't push any further.

Mark
                              Thanks Mark. I would much rather purchase the Mini because A) its smaller and B) Its cheaper. I have pushed out 75+ feet with the compact no problem and the mini is much easier to push than the compact, so I am sure pushing it will be a breeze for me.

The Mini is right up my alley.

Comment

Working...
                              X