X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Navitrack Scout Questions Irrigation lines

I have just completed using a Schonstedt MAC-51bx. It worked fairly well for what I was doing. I used a fish tape and fed it through the poly irrigation pipe energized the fish tape, and located the pipe runs.
    I am inquiring on how well the navitrack scout would perform at this. I am debating on buying a locator, and just finding out what one would be my best bet.

Re: Navitrack Scout Questions Irrigation lines

Originally posted by josterbauer View Post
    I have just completed using a Schonstedt MAC-51bx. It worked fairly well for what I was doing. I used a fish tape and fed it through the poly irrigation pipe energized the fish tape, and located the pipe runs.
    I am inquiring on how well the navitrack scout would perform at this. I am debating on buying a locator, and just finding out what one would be my best bet.
    if any body has 1st hand experince I'd like to know . It would be great to locate my cable with my scout and not have to send my camera down just for a locate when my cable is already in the drain.

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
      if any body has 1st hand experince I'd like to know . It would be great to locate my cable with my scout and not have to send my camera down just for a locate when my cable is already in the drain.
      Years ago, my boss had a unit that would energize the cable(or any other metal object) for tracing with the same locator that located the sonde(which is also the same locator that General uses in their cameras(I think). If I recall correctly, the disadvantage of locating the "energized line" vs the sonde was not getting reliable depth readings, and if the energized pipe is touching other metal items, you can easily locate the wrong pipeline.

Technology may have improved since then, but I'm pretty sure they are still using the same locator(wand) with their GenEye system

Greg

Comment

For me, all my pipe is plastic, so it would not energize any other pipes. I was wondering if you could energize the fish tape, or wire, and locate it well with the scout?

Comment

The Scout excels at sonde locating and is also capable of locating a charged line, tracer wire, or a charged fish tape in your case. However, if you are primarily going to use the locator for line locating, (as opposed to sonde locating) I would recommend a Navitrack-2 or SR-20 locator as these units are designed primarily for line locating. These units can also locate sondes if necessary.

You might consider an SR-60 locator if you will be locating cast iron water lines or other less conductive materials. This is because the SR-60 is capable of tracing higher frequencies (up to 490 kHz).

Comment

Originally posted by RDT View Post
            The Scout excels at sonde locating and is also capable of locating a charged line, tracer wire, or a charged fish tape in your case. However, if you are primarily going to use the locator for line locating, (as opposed to sonde locating) I would recommend a Navitrack-2 or SR-20 locator as these units are designed primarily for line locating. These units can also locate sondes if necessary.

You might consider an SR-60 locator if you will be locating cast iron water lines or other less conductive materials. This is because the SR-60 is capable of tracing higher frequencies (up to 490 kHz).

Yes your right the scout is excellent in tracing the sonde on the end of a sewer cable and the tracing charged lines.

Tony

Comment

Working...
            X