The slowest section on the forum

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The slowest section on the forum

Since the Australians have taken over the thread I will put in my two cents worth.
    I am a bit like ozplumb and often view the threads but do not reply because things over there are slightly different and I wouldn't like may mates over there to think that we do things better here than there.
    I see that over there they soft solder copper pipe but Rick tells me that in HVAC jobs they use silver solder.
    I have gotten a lot of tips of this forum and enjoy checking threads for a few laughs even if some of it goes over my head.
    I bought a seesnake plus 18 months ago and have just purchased a mini reel and would have to agree the plus is a lot easier to use because of the self leveling . I have used the mini a few times in smaller pipes and around traps.

Most of my work was from builders but I am getting out of this and am working more on doing maintance and camera/ drain clearing work.

As regards the eftpos machine I looked into it a year ago and the best deal I could find was with the National Bank

Simon

Comment

Originally posted by Some Day Plumbing View Post
      Since the Australians have taken over the thread I will put in my two cents worth.
      I am a bit like ozplumb and often view the threads but do not reply because things over there are slightly different and I wouldn't like may mates over there to think that we do things better here than there.
      I see that over there they soft solder copper pipe but Rick tells me that in HVAC jobs they use silver solder.
      I have gotten a lot of tips of this forum and enjoy checking threads for a few laughs even if some of it goes over my head.
      I bought a seesnake plus 18 months ago and have just purchased a mini reel and would have to agree the plus is a lot easier to use because of the self leveling . I have used the mini a few times in smaller pipes and around traps.

Most of my work was from builders but I am getting out of this and am working more on doing maintance and camera/ drain clearing work.

As regards the eftpos machine I looked into it a year ago and the best deal I could find was with the National Bank

Simon
      The reason they did away with soft solder in cold water in Aus was because of the lead content, gee you must be rolling in dough being able to buy a mini as well as a plus, but I am a glad I bought my plus at the beginning of this year when our dollar was 95cents to the US dollar and is now 70 cents and falling I estimate I saved around 5 grand, yes the Nab has the best deal on a eptpos machine did you get one?

Tony

Comment

I like to see the see snake videos, you guys could always post more videos

Comment

Originally posted by ozplumb View Post
          thought as much tony. I will go that way full time too but for the moment i think i have to keep doing a bit with this builder to help keep busy and then when my client base is up enough ill get away from builders altogether. Thanks tony
          Remenber don`t put all your eggs in the same basket as the housing industry is in for a fall in Australia over the next couple of years, keep your builder happy but take on other work and gain more and more clients in the maintanance area to help you ride out the financial storm that is coming.

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post
            I like to see the see snake videos, you guys could always post more videos
            I would love to post one but how do you do it.

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
              I would love to post one but how do you do it.

Tony
              Upload them to you tube / your favorite video sharing site and then just post / give us the link

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post
                Upload them to you tube / your favorite video sharing site and then just post / give us the link
                Now I know you are going think that i am an idiot which I am but that is beside the point, so how do I upload a video to you tube and give the forum the link, I think I will have a hot toddy and go to bed now as it is late and I am tied just hope the misses isn`t fresky tonight or I will be in trouble.

Tony

Comment

Simon
                  what i mean is that hvac freon lines are always silver brazed.

hydronic lines are still typically soft soldered.

we use to do a lot of brazing on potable water lines as we t-drilled our mains. this was from 6'' /150mm and down. we could pull a 2'' tee out of a 6'' line and save the then cost of $130. a fitting. plus we didn't need to solder the two 6'' runs of the tee, just the 2'' branch was brazed.

rick.

we were required to use lead free solder in the late 80's and water soluble flux in the early 90's. the flux was and still is the big draw back. might be easier to use on new work, but repair work, it sucks

is propress being used in the land of oz
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    what i mean is that hvac freon lines are always silver brazed.

hydronic lines are still typically soft soldered.

we use to do a lot of brazing on potable water lines as we t-drilled our mains. this was from 6'' /150mm and down. we could pull a 2'' tee out of a 6'' line and save the then cost of $130. a fitting. plus we didn't need to solder the two 6'' runs of the tee, just the 2'' branch was brazed.

rick.

we were required to use lead free solder in the late 80's and water soluble flux in the early 90's. the flux was and still is the big draw back. might be easier to use on new work, but repair work, it sucks

is propress being used in the land of oz
                    Some companies here are pushing propress and i have looked at it but I might need it like once or twice a year. I would be more likely to silver solder any pipework but having said that I could have used it the other day instead of getting the smoke alarms turned of in a building.

Since you know most things and I am not meaning to be smart, what actually seals the propress fitting to the copper tube and stops it leaking or blowing of the tube? Do they use an O Ring seal?

Why Rick do you soft solder copper why not silver solder it.
                    When I was an apprentice I remember talking to my boss about soft soldering, he said it was painstakingly slow by the time you clean up both ends of the copper, apply the flux and heating it up.
                    Here with silver soldering or brazing, depending on where you live, is quick and painless.
                    I have also seen in your threads about how quick propress is.
                    If you were doing a copper job would you be happy with propress behind a wall?

Simon

Comment

The reason they did away with soft solder in cold water in Aus was because of the lead content, gee you must be rolling in dough being able to buy a mini as well as a plus, but I am a glad I bought my plus at the beginning of this year when our dollar was 95cents to the US dollar and is now 70 cents and falling I estimate I saved around 5 grand, yes the Nab has the best deal on a eptpos machine did you get one?

Tony
                      No Tony I am not rolling in dough I have had the need a couple of times for the smaller camera and just re-invested some of my profit back into my buisness.

I have advertised in the yellow pages to do drain camera work and would like not to knock a job back because I did not have the right gear.

I too purchased the mini when the dollar was high, it was like a grand cheaper than last year.

I'll be down your way next weekend. I have a few mates who live in Mornington and am sailing with them to Stanley on the north western side of Tasmania, leaving Friday night and will be home on Sunday.

Simon

Comment

Some companies here are pushing propress and i have looked at it but I might need it like once or twice a year. I would be more likely to silver solder any pipework but having said that I could have used it the other day instead of getting the smoke alarms turned of in a building.

Since you know most things and I am not meaning to be smart, what actually seals the propress fitting to the copper tube and stops it leaking or blowing of the tube? Do they use an O Ring seal?

propress uses an o-ring for the seal and the crimp to keep the pipe and fitting from pulling apart.

Why Rick do you soft solder copper why not silver solder it.
                        When I was an apprentice I remember talking to my boss about soft soldering, he said it was painstakingly slow by the time you clean up both ends of the copper, apply the flux and heating it up.
                        Here with silver soldering or brazing, depending on where you live, is quick and painless.

we did braze all of our mains and piping in the subterranean garages. this is where it was all concrete construction and where 75# of our piping was run. you are correct in that there is little prep and you can pre-fab your work and let it sit for days. with the water safe flux, you need to solder asap. we also did lots of t-drilling and this required brazing.

problem with brazing is it makes the copper soft/ anneals it. piping would move and become soft.

we never brazed our risers, as this would be typically in wood framing. even if it was commercial/ concrete, we still soft soldered the risers.

the wall stub outs for our angle stops/ fixture shut offs had to be soft soldered. brazing would cause the stub out to be so soft, that you could easily twist the stub as it became annealed/soft.

I have also seen in your threads about how quick propress is.
                        If you were doing a copper job would you be happy with propress behind a wall?

Simon
                        propress behind a wall is fine. there are some companies that all they use is propress.

i did an inspection of a large fancy hotel 5 years ago. the entire job was propress up to 4''/ 100mm and the 5'' and 6''/ 150mm was copper victaulic.

the biggest drawback with propress is the initial cost and price of fittings.

this is all made up with the savings on labor and speed of use.

just imagine how fast it is if you could braze all your joints in 4 seconds without any chance of getting burned

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

So Rick after reading your thread yesterday and taking what you said onboard, I had the local rep bring out the Propress tool today and demo it for me.

I have read a few threads recently about the high price of the tool and that had put me off buying the tool. I thought today that I spend about $400 a year in oxy/acetylene and the time and inconvenience spent picking it up. Not to mention if it is a Friday afternoon job that I will run out of gas.

You were not exaggerating at the speed and ease of the joint.
                          In Oz we have these dodgy fittings called brass compression fittings with nylon olives that I have seen blow off.
                          I worked for a company when I was an apprentice that didn't let us use these fittings, we would usually solder them and unfortunately I still have nightmares about them and still prefer to solder than wait for a phone call from a customer telling me that there house is flooded.

Long story short, after using it, I ordered it straight away and will pick it up tomorrow.

Thanks for the tip Rick

Simon

Comment

simon, it sounds like you might be the newest kid on the block with the new toys

you'll be amazed at what you can do with propress. especially with water in the line.

what model did you get? 330, 320, 100, 400?

they also make a swivel jaws set that will get you into any tight angle.

your fittings and pipe is metric. please keep us updated once you get the new toys

where else can we go from talking seesnakes and sell a propress

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              simon, it sounds like you might be the newest kid on the block with the new toys

you'll be amazed at what you can do with propress. especially with water in the line.

what model did you get? 330, 320, 100, 400?

they also make a swivel jaws set that will get you into any tight angle.

your fittings and pipe is metric. please keep us updated once you get the new toys

where else can we go from talking seesnakes and sell a propress

rick.
                              Hi Rick. just a question with the propress? Do you think this system will replace brazing altogether? Is there a slip socket type fitting that allows you to fix a burst copper line in a tight wall without opening up a massive hole in a brick wall just to get the tool in? I know i should ask a rep these questions but i would rather hear feedback from someone who has used it rather than someone who sells it. Also without blowing smoke up your a?';se your knowledge on lots of discussions on this forum has been educating to say the least. Thanks ozplumb

Comment

Now I know you are going think that i am an idiot which I am but that is beside the point, so how do I upload a video to you tube and give the forum the link, I think I will have a hot toddy and go to bed now as it is late and I am tied just hope the misses isn`t fresky tonight or I will be in trouble.

Tony
                                hi tony hope the missus didnt hurt you mate
                                Just letting you know your guide pipe helped me again today and i got a very nice job finished in 4 hrs. The ability to get a look at exactly what and where the prob was. The owner was happy and its great to have all the guess work taken out of the equation when ive got the confidence to camera the bt. There are a lot of guys that dont do the bts but they charge hundreds more because they dig up the point and go in through the IO. Clever though because once the hole is dug if there is a problem they can fix it on the spot and double charge for the job. Keep us posted on any more ideas. Also mate do you just have the 325' self level or do you think a mini would be worth it as well? thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X