X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which LOCATOR!!!!!!!!

Hi all. Just after advice on which locator you think would suit me best?
    I do little work in service areas ie. mainly small sewer repairs so the sonde is a must.(scout)?
    Do you guys think the extra bells and whistles for the service locating is worth it?
    I am a believer in having the right tools for the job even if I only use it rarely ( the utility locator option )
    Do you think I stick with the cheaper option and use a shovel and probe when needed or go all out and get the top of the line navitrack?
    help me please!!
    Also the aussie dollar has dropped a bit but would like to know what they are worth over your neck of the woods? If its worth me getting one from the states or just stick with a dealer here and have somewhere to take it back when it dies on me
    Thankyou and hope to hear from you soon. PS ridgid have great products however I am open to other suggestions also thanks again ozplumb.

Re: Which LOCATOR!!!!!!!!

oz, i currently use the scout and am very happy with it

the majority 95% of my locates are for sewers. 5% are for utilities/ water,gas,electric.

with sewers it always 100% right on

with utilities it usually is 100%, but remember you're not tracing a sonde. you're trying to decipher all the signals underground and make sence out of it. lots of cross connections.

i also have a seektech, but haven't taken the time to learn it.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I also have the Scout and it has been dead on perfect for me. As long as it has good batteries it works perfect. Sewer locates I don't do utilities
      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

"i also have a seektech, but haven't taken the time to learn it. "

Rick, You have the SR-20 but don't use it? Why have you not taken the time to learn it? I am thinking about getting the SR-20, as buried electric lines would be a big part of its use for me. I'd be interested in hearing why you have not put it to use, do you feel the learning curve is steep even with experience from using other locator's?
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I will agree with everyone, we run both a Scout and Seektech, The Scout is easy to use and always right on. If you are locating a sonde the scout is what you want. If you are doing utility lines we use the Seektech SR20. The additional antennas make it more accurate. You can also do a sonde but the unit is more complicated to use.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
            "i also have a seektech, but haven't taken the time to learn it. "

Rick, You have the SR-20 but don't use it? Why have you not taken the time to learn it? I am thinking about getting the SR-20, as buried electric lines would be a big part of its use for me. I'd be interested in hearing why you have not put it to use, do you feel the learning curve is steep even with experience from using other locator's?
            the majority i do is sewer locates with the camera. the scout does it great. it also does electical 50/60 hz.

i also have the navatrac transmitter box and it works finre with the scout.

the sr-20 was something i thought i was going to use, and so far no need to upgrade.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

dont buy the scout---i have the sr20 and its the best locater i ever used---even the rep will tell u that their both close in price and the sr20 has way more options and is more accurate----spend ur $$$ wisely and buy the sr20----it is pretty darn impresssive---makes me lots of money and saves the laborers lots of digging---

just out of curiosity, i wanted to see how accurate mine is---i located a broken sewer line with my sr20 and seesnake---i marked the spot that it stopped at and my depth was 5 ft 3"---after digging, i took a tape from grade to bottom of pipe( where seesnake was laying ) and to my amazement it measured 5 ft 3" and it was directly under my mark---it is very impressive

buy the sr-20----you will be happy----they are sooo close in price, why not---its a valuable tool

Comment

Originally posted by plumberjr View Post
                dont buy the scout---i have the sr20 and its the best locater i ever used---even the rep will tell u that their both close in price and the sr20 has way more options and is more accurate----spend ur $$$ wisely and buy the sr20----it is pretty darn impresssive---makes me lots of money and saves the laborers lots of digging---

just out of curiosity, i wanted to see how accurate mine is---i located a broken sewer line with my sr20 and seesnake---i marked the spot that it stopped at and my depth was 5 ft 3"---after digging, i took a tape from grade to bottom of pipe( where seesnake was laying ) and to my amazement it measured 5 ft 3" and it was directly under my mark---it is very impressive

buy the sr-20----you will be happy----they are sooo close in price, why not---its a valuable tool
                no need to argue about the price, so i'll just post a link with usa$ pricing. http://www.toolup.com/ridgid/navi-tr...tech/locators/

remember that the australian $ is not as strong as ours and their price will always be higher than ours.

as far as accuracy, they are both extremely accurate. in fact i can still use a 12 year old locater that i would need to triangulate and mark 4 points and still get great accuracy. might not get the speed of the locate, but a good signal is a good signal.

if locating your sewer camera is what you need, the scout is plenty. i also locate electrical and trace pipes with mine.

the mapping feature and continuous depth is an added feature with the sr20- along with additional frequencies.

tracing utilities i can see the advantage, tracing your camera, save your money mate

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

i trace utilities and why not have the ability---for the same price, why not have more options incase of future expansion-----

isnt there a way he could transfer $$$ to someone here and they buy and ship to him rather than him get a huge price gouging???? or is the exchange that bad?????

Comment

Originally posted by plumberjr View Post
                    i trace utilities and why not have the ability---for the same price, why not have more options incase of future expansion-----

isnt there a way he could transfer $$$ to someone here and they buy and ship to him rather than him get a huge price gouging???? or is the exchange that bad?????
                    I thought there was a $1,000 difference between the Scout and the SR-20. The big advantage to the SR stuff is the ability to map multiple lines. I believe all of the NaviTrack and SR stuff are equally as accurate when looking for Sondes. However, I have been told if I ever buy a new locator to go with the SR stuff.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

when i was researching the locaters, the rep told me dont waste $ on the scout--buy the sr and have the extra features---its the same price!!! why not?? would you buy last years cadillac for 20k or this years souped up version for 20 k??? no brainer--thats why i own a sr-20

Comment

you keep saying it's the same price. it's not. it's almost 50% more.

NaviTrack II Line Locator

Price: $2275.51
                        Savings: $227.55
                        Price: $2047.96

Price: $2866.30
                        Savings: $286.63
                        Price: $2579.67

Price: $2275.51
                        Savings: $227.55
                        Price: $2047.96

Price: $1319.39
                        Savings: $131.94
                        Price: $1187.45

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

I use the SR-60 on a daily basis. I'm a SUE technician and locate every utility out there, and as far as acurracy, its 100% on each line I locate. I would highly recommend this machine.

Comment

wow! I didnt expect that type of detailed help from you guys. Im sorry for the long delay in reply but I havent had a day off in a little over two weeks so sleep is on top of my list

Thanks alot for your responses and I have decided yesterday when the rep came out that the sr20 was the buy. The aus against the us is buying around 67 us cents so its not worth it now.

I ended up paying $4000 for the locator, power pack and the clip. It works out pretty well I think??.

Thanks JR and Rick I take on board what you say with the scout and the sr20 and it only worked out $500 more for the sr20. Although I wont use the extra stuff hardly ever at least if I ever need it I will have it there.

Thanks Bob D, Blazius, Rick, ToUtahNow, Jr and Highland S&D

Comment

Working...
                            X