X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Micro explorer inspection camera

Hey guys. Would you recomend buying a Micro exlorer camera? Needed on twice this week.

Re: Micro explorer inspection camera

Yeah.. do any of you guys have one yet? They should be getting out there now.

Josh

Comment

i've never been in a situation where i absolutely needed one
      Mike
      Clark County Plumbing And Drain
      www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

Originally posted by haycad View Post
        i've never been in a situation where i absolutely needed one
        Maybe in My WILD single days ,A few times
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I have had a Micro Explorer on my truck for the last 9-months as a field tester. After using it on well over 200-inspections, I have to say it would be hard to live without it today. Mine was a very early proto-type so it had a few hiccups but it was still an invaluable tool and I understand the production model addressed all of those issues.

I used the Explorer on a variety of projects and cannot remember a single instance where it failed me. It gave me the ability to document concealed locations which I could not possible see had I not had the Explorer. The fact that it has the ability to take still photos and/or video during the inspection made it that much sweeter.

An example of how I used it, was on a project where I was looking for a specific material installed in the plumbing system. The project had just under 100-homes in it. Using the Explorer I was able to cut a 3/4" hole in the garage, identify the material, take several photographs of it and then have the guy from the GC tape the hole and move on to the next home in less than 1/2 hour. That includes the time to inspect 20 additional items in each home which were visual and did not need the Explorer. There was no additional cost for the guy from the GC as he was already there to draw floor plans for our Cost of Repair estimate.

In contrast I had a similar project with a similar need to identify the materials but I was there as an observer while the Plaintiff identified the material. The Plaintiff hired a DT crew which came into the home and masked off large areas of the home and cut about 2 sq ft of drywall only to find out they sometimes missed the material and needed to cut a second hole. Once the material was identified we would move onto the next home. While it took approximately 2-hours per home to identify the materials, part of the DT crew stayed behind to patch the wall then had to return for 2-additional trips to texture and color match the paint. The same information was gained on each project but with the help of the Explorer I looked at 4-times the number of homes with no additional cost for access. The Plaintiff took 4-times longer and had a DT crew of 6-men working several days in each home.

Mark
          Last edited by ToUtahNow; 11-15-2008, 11:52 AM.
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

So what you're saying is the Micro put 6 guys out of work.

Just kidding of course, but I guess some might look at it that way. That's how the UAW works to some peoples way of thinking and why Detroit is on the skids now.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Putting together my list for Santa this year and I wanted to put the MicroExplorer at the top because of the video recording. The self leveling feature would be nice but would come at a heavy price.

Then I noticed that the second generation SeeSnake Micro #31118 has a RCA output connection. I can't find much info on this new model on this website.

Am I to assume that the new Micro can record video and stills to a separate device?

Looks like it has some new buttons.... zoom? pan?

Comment

i want a micro i can stick down a toilet and see what's going on from the throne's point of view. it would have savesd me a ton of time, twice, this week. just a head and cable that will make the turns in a toilet trap and enter the bend. that is all

just my $.02 before taxes

steve
                In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                  Putting together my list for Santa this year and I wanted to put the MicroExplorer at the top because of the video recording. The self leveling feature would be nice but would come at a heavy price.

Then I noticed that the second generation SeeSnake Micro #31118 has a RCA output connection. I can't find much info on this new model on this website.

Am I to assume that the new Micro can record video and stills to a separate device?

Looks like it has some new buttons.... zoom? pan?
                  That is really interesting, I am hoping that Santa will get me a micro. If there is a new one coming out, maybe I should wait. Does anyone know if there is a new version that comes with a 9.5mm head?

Comment

[QUOTE=ToUtahNow;187578]I have had a Micro Explorer on my truck for the last 9-months as a field tester. After using it on well over 200-inspections, I have to say it would be hard to live without it today. Mine was a very early proto-type so it had a few hiccups but it was still an invaluable tool . Mark,without Names and locations how about this. You do a bi line on
                    some of the failures You've seen over the Years. Bad materials,and practices. This has worked out well for one publication ,I use to get. Name will come to Me later.
                    This would be some great education on how to stay out of trouble, for all !
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Hey Josh, can members get a discount on one of these?

Comment

[quote=toolaholic;187657]
                        Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                        I have had a Micro Explorer on my truck for the last 9-months as a field tester. After using it on well over 200-inspections, I have to say it would be hard to live without it today. Mine was a very early proto-type so it had a few hiccups but it was still an invaluable tool . Mark,without Names and locations how about this. You do a bi line on
                        some of the failures You've seen over the Years. Bad materials,and practices. This has worked out well for one publication ,I use to get. Name will come to Me later.
                        This would be some great education on how to stay out of trouble, for all !
                        tool,

I have to be real careful and I try to share info when I can but one of the guys I am against on a project mentioned he found info I posted on this site by using Google and a few key terms. He did not know my user name at the time but everyone knows it now.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by plumbertim1975 View Post
                          Hey Josh, can members get a discount on one of these?
                          Toolup.com has a 10% discount on them right now.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                            That is really interesting, I am hoping that Santa will get me a micro. If there is a new one coming out, maybe I should wait. Does anyone know if there is a new version that comes with a 9.5mm head?
                            Here is a link to the new micro with the 9.5 mm aluminum head:

http://www.toolup.com/RIDGID/31123.html?amuc=5,77

Keep in mind because it is a smaller head it only has one led instead of two so your light is limited. This appears to be the new version of the Micro which Bill was talking about because it includes a 3' RCA cable. This looks like a nice unit which is much improved over the first generation Micro but it is no where near the new Micro Explorer.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                              Here is a link to the new micro with the 9.5 mm aluminum head:

http://www.toolup.com/RIDGID/31123.html?amuc=5,77

Keep in mind because it is a smaller head it only has one led instead of two so your light is limited. This appears to be the new version of the Micro which Bill was talking about because it includes a 3' RCA cable. This looks like a nice unit which is much improved over the first generation Micro but it is no where near the new Micro Explorer.

Mark
                              Mark,

If you had to pick one size head which would it be?

I'll believe it is nowhere near the explorer, but it is also nowhere near the explorer's price.

Charles

Comment

Working...
                              X