Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My SeeSnake Micro Review model #31118

Ridgid,

I didn't think you could make it better but you did!

Picked up the new model this morning (31118) 17mm camera. This has the hard carry case and RCA jack for capturing photos and video.

Cost: $225+ tax from Ferguson Enterprises

Cons: STILL won't get past a toilet trap (see video link below) Mirror attachment has poor visibility. RCA cord only 3 feet long.

Pros: No significant price increase over previous Micro. Same basic design as original but with these added features: RCA jack, ergonomic lighting controls, thumb latch cover for batteries, aluminium camera head, hard blow molded carry case. LCD screen seems more clear.

Was seriously debating ordering the big brother Micro Explorer ($700) but I just can't justify the cost versus features. The new Micro is just right for me.

I already carry a laptop with me everywhere so with a USB interface connecting the Micro is no big deal. I took several videos today and numerous pictures with it. Most likey it will lead to a boiler replacement therefor paying for itself on the first day out of the box. You can watch the video of the boiler inspection below. I forgot to add commentary while I was making the vid. I feel like a dork narrating a video all alone in a boiler room.

Some coworkers think it's just a gimmick or that I'm trying to show off to the customer but I convert more than twice as many sales as they do because of these "gimmicks"

My laptop doesn't have a RCA connector so I use a Hauppauge USB interface device that has 2 input jacks. (About $50 at Microcenter) BestBuy didn't sell them. One side is RCA the other is S video. The S video I connect to my SeeSnake Plus when running the camera down sewers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOMk9zUyI-Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6GO81xWMtw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0TpFcXW5mA

Re: My SeeSnake Micro Review model #31118

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
    Cons: STILL won't get past a toilet trap (see video link below) Mirror attachment has poor visibility. RCA cord only 3 feet long.

I forgot to add commentary while I was making the vid. I feel like a dork narrating a video all alone in a boiler room.
    point 1. need one to pass through a toilet. can always buy a longer RCA cable. don't know about the mirror as one that will "snake" down a toilet wouold preclude a mirror(?)

point 2. you'll get over that feeling soon enough. besides, IF you are all alone, who else is there to hear? or you can add it in post.

steve
    In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

oh, i forgot about the videos. cool fun stuff, if a bit "indulgent". think Woody Allen. not a bad thing

who is the guitar player in video #1? interesting stuff.

great choice of music for #3. just risque enough for a PG audience with fantastic humor that the young 'uns won't get

BTW,

steve
      In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

vid 1: Audio Morphology- Arabic Maqammat (scales & phrases) played on an Arch-top acoustic guitar

vid 2: Amy Lee of Evanescence, Bring Me to Life

vid 3 Jody Sticker- Five Minutes

Comment

Hello, How did you do this?

"The S video I connect to my SeeSnake Plus when running the camera down sewers."

You mentioned this in your post, and it blew me away. I have been trying to figure this out for some time. Just to make sure, are you talking about using an "S" video cable from your Seesnake reel to a laptop?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by marinerman View Post
            Hello, How did you do this?

"The S video I connect to my SeeSnake Plus when running the camera down sewers."

You mentioned this in your post, and it blew me away. I have been trying to figure this out for some time. Just to make sure, are you talking about using an "S" video cable from your Seesnake reel to a laptop?

Thanks in advance.
            I don't want to get too far off topic but you can read up on this here:

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20730

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19287

Hopes this helps

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

crack, please tell me you were not barefoot next to that toilet in the first video

i can understand no shoes, but no socks

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, my feet sweat so bad that I have to remove boots and socks when I'm in the customers house.

The ones that know me see it as a sign of respect

Comment

ALL MICRO'S ARE WORTHLESS UNLESS THEY GO AROUND A TOILET TRAP!!

Just kidding I use mine daily. The only impovement ever needed to be made was going around a toilet trap. Everything else is bells and whistles.

Comment

Any reason you didn't go with the 9.5mm (31123) other than the extra $25? Seems to be the more popular model from what I've seem.
                      Jay
                      Ohio Power Tool - Ridgid
                      Coptool - Power Tool Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Jay6 View Post
                        Any reason you didn't go with the 9.5mm (31123) other than the extra $25? Seems to be the more popular model from what I've seem.

The head on my other Micro broke so I needed one in a hurry. Went 2 whole days without it and felt naked. Seemed like every job I could have used it.

Ferguson Express only stocks the 17mm so I grabbed that. I will probably pick up a 9mm head as an extra. About a hundred bucks, right? I would love to see the 17mm and the 9mm in a side by side comparison.

Most of my holes are pretty dark so I thought the 2 LEDs would be better than just the one on the 9mm.

Maybe someone from Ridgid an confirm that camera lens is the same on both, just the lighting is different I heard somewhere that the FOV is smaller on the 9mm but I cant find specs for that anywhere.

Comment

Working...
                        X