X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SR-20/ST-33Q issues

I've recently received a Rigid SR-30 w/ST-33Q transmitter back from some warranty work (never worked properly right out of the box). I have no issues when try locating a line using the clamp and direct mode.

My issues comes inductively...1st, I'm not too sure what modes to use when doing 2 man, 3 way sweeps (manual doesn't mention anything regarding this).

2nd, once I had the thing working fine when I had the transmitter on top of a line, followed it great, but have not been able to replecate this. I know that both have to be on the same frequency. What settings do you guys use.

Basically I need this unit to clamp onto gas lines, find some power/telephone, and sweep for unknown

Re: SR-20/ST-33Q issues

Low frequencies and high frequencies do not induce well, so most of your success will come from 33kHz or 8kHz.

When I'm drop-boxing a line (setting the transmitter on the ground with 'inductive mode' selected), I'll begin by using 33kHz because this signal can push through tough materials that insulate pipes or cables, and also the signal travels further....if this doesn't do well I'll try 8kHz (for a shorter distance line).

You won't have much success drop-boxing with a high signal because a super-high frequency most always bleeds onto other utilities in the ground, and it doesn't travel very far on the cable or pipe.

Direct connection is always best! But there are times when there is no alternative than to induce your target line, e.g. water/irrigation pipes.

Comment

There are some training documents and videos on the RIDGID website. I would suggest reviewing the information on induction. There is a review of a 2 man sweeps as well as other tips on using induction mode.

Here is the link

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Utility-Locating-Training/index.htm

One common mistake when using induction mode is having the transmitter facing the wrong direction. When using the ST-33Q, the transmitter should be aligned with the pipe you are trying to locate while the ST-510 transmitter should be placed perpendicular to the pipe. You should be able to use 8kHz or 33kHz for an effective 2 man sweep and be sure to turn the transmitter in the right direction during the sweep.

Comment

I have the transmitter lined up properly and usually try to have it set at 33...same with the locator...is there another mode on the locator that I should be on...as I said before I had it working perfecting inductively one day, then next day I couldn't seem to get it straight, perhaps more bugs in this thing as I've already had some trouble with it.

Comment

Another common problem is air-coupling. This happens if you are standing too close to the transmitter while in induction mode and the receiver gets the signal through the air from the box instead from the pipe. You should be at least 20 ft – 40ft from the box to avoid air-coupling.

To check for air coupling, point the receiver at the box and then point it towards the pipe in the ground you are locating. You should get a higher signal strength number when you point it towards the pipe. If the signal is higher when you point towards the box you are too close and air-coupling is occurring.

It this doesn’t help, I recommend calling RIDGID Tech Support at 800-519-3456. They can help solve the problem or trouble shoot your equipment.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X