Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scout locator, batteries always empty

Hi Folks,

I have the ridgid Scout locator, which I use on average every 3-4 days for some 15 min each time. However the batteries are empty after 1 month only. I always check it is turned off before I put it in the carry case. Is that normal. I am using high quality brand new Duracell batteries, not chinese crap, any suggestions out there. All profit is being invested in new batteries.

Regards, Dabbi

Re: Scout locator, batteries always empty

Part of overhead, charge accordingly.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Sort of, but a nuissance always to carry 4 spare batteries.

Comment

I had this problem with a Navitrak and there was leakage through a transistor.
        I took it to the Ridgid repair man and he fixed it

Simon

Comment

dabbi, the numbers you sated are not bad.

every 3 to 4 days = 8 to 10 times a month.

15 minutes a pop is 2 to 2.5 hours.

and if you're in a dark environment, then the back lighting comes on.

i have one and it seems normal to me

the case holds 4 batteries nicely along with the 4 in the scout.

or you could go to the glow worm caves and borrow some worms for the dark

what part of new zealand are you located in?

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

If you are using it 10 times before replacing the batteries hopefully that's not eating up all your profits. Should only be about $.40/job. Have you looked into rechargable NiCd/NiHM batteries? You can get a car charger and a 4 pack of C batteries for pretty reasonable prices online.
            Jay
            Ohio Power Tool - Ridgid
            Coptool - Power Tool Blog

Comment

The typical battery life for the Scout is 12-24 hours when using alkaline batteries. However, the amount time will vary depending on factors such as volume, backlight, and temperature.

Rechargeable batteries might be a way to save some on battery costs. We’ve found that Powerex batteries from Maha work well.

Comment

I have the same issue with my NaviTrack. For me it really is not the fact that the batteries don't last long, it has more to do with the fact you are on the job and you find out you need new batteries. Quite often I forgot to replace the spares from the last time this happened which means I have to load everything back on the truck and go shopping for batteries. In today's world of technology I believe anything which costs as much as a locator does should come with Lithium Ion batteries.

Mark
                Last edited by ToUtahNow; 12-05-2008, 04:47 PM.
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Buy a cheap inverter ($40 at Checker Auto, etc.) and keep it in your service truck. Run chargers off of it.

I run ALL my stuff off of Ni-Cds instead of AA batts. I keep two battery packs for each device I have to run so one is in the device, the other is either charging or charged up ready to swap out. Keeps my cordless drill pack up too. And you won't have the problem of taking batteries in the house at the end of the day to charge them then forgetting them the next morning. Good source of battery holders & bulk batteries is www.mouser.com.

Problem with digital locators (same thing happens with my Radiodetection 432's) it that they NEVER really turn off - they always draw a small amount of current to run the logic that actually turns the device ON after you press the POWER membrane switch. The switch itself doesn't do it. It just signals the actual power-on ckt. to kick in.

Comment

Removing the batteries between uses would help with the drainage problem, but its a work around.

Still, if you tried it and noticed that you then had a measurable increase in run time then you might have a case for a faulty component as someone else said they had and get it looked at under warranty. But that is not likely. Rechargeable batteries with a charger that can run from AC or 12 VDC in the vehicle sounds good way to cover your butt. At least if you leave home w/o a fully charged backup set you can charge them while you are on the road.

Too bad they don't use the same batteries as the cordless power tools.

If batteries were more universal it would be so much easier to be green.

If a company like RIDGID could confine their products to only two or three batteries that the consumer could move from tool to tool it might work out to be a plus that could increase sales. There's no reason that an 18V battery could not be used for a locater is there? It would just be sipping at a huge battery like that and it would last forever.

What is the difference in weight between 4 C Ni-Cad cells and a 18V Li-Ion battery? Anyone care to take a guess, I don't know. I doubt its enough to discourage someone from buying it when they weigh the fact that they don't have to buy batteries all the time.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Hi guys,

thanks for all your answers. I took the batteries out occasionally but sometimes I just forgot it. And as ToUtah says, it`s more about being on a job only to realise the sophisticated expensive device ain`t work anymore and being here in NZ in a rural area sometimes easily means you would have to drive 30 min to a grocery shop, if during business hours, each way.

But I have an inverter for my self built DVD recorder/LCD screen anyway in the van so I´ll get a charger and two sets of rech. batteries. Easy as

Have a nice day.

Comment

dabbi, i do plan on getting back to n.z. in the near future.

i'll bring you a pack of 20- c batteries. you supply the lamb chops

where in n.z. are you?

south island, queenstown

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Tauranga, North Island Bay of Plenty mate.

US dollar very strong at the moment, so very cheap for you.

Look forward to seeing you, today lovely warm 26°C.

Cheers, dabbi

Comment

would that be around auckland and the bay of islands?

spent a week sailing there and loved it

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Almost,

Tauranga is 200 km south east of AKL, or 20 min by plane.

Comment

Working...
                              X