X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Micro Vs. Explorer?

Both good products. Which one would you choose for yourself and why?

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: Micro Vs. Explorer?

as a professional plumber who does inspections for pay

you need the explorer.

it's basically a scaled down seesnake with recording capabilities

both still, and video. plus a memory card.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks Rick. Have you bought your 2 MicroExplorers' yet?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
        Thanks Rick. Have you bought your 2 MicroExplorers' yet?

J.C.
        Not yet. I told him he should because Santa isn't bringing him one, but he doesn't believe me
        I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
          Not yet. I told him he should because Santa isn't bringing him one, but he doesn't believe me
          Such a sad Christmas morning. Go ahead Mrs. J and get it. Then you could create a kind of Norman Rockwell scene with Rick sitting in the middle of a trainset in his Tyvek coveralls playing with his MicroExplorer.

Put a little train drivers hat in the box for him to wear too. Pics Please.

J.C.

Comment

Does the new Micro have recording outs?

J.C.

Comment

I have something better in mind He will be just as happy if not happier.

Besides he throws away more money on less useful things. He can go pick up his own explorer
              I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                I have something better in mind He will be just as happy if not happier.

Besides he throws away more money on less useful things. He can go pick up his own explorer
                While maybe innocent-the first sentence sounds a little "freaky".

J.C.

Comment

Does the new Micro have recording outs?

J.C.
                  Crack says it has RCA out. http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21511
                  I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

While maybe innocent-the first sentence sounds a little "freaky".

J.C.
                    Whatever!
                    I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Thanks for the link. I need one or the other next week and need to decides what's best.

I like extra features but catch myself using more time for the same results with them sometimes. And time is $$$$.

J.C.
                      Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 12-06-2008, 12:41 PM.

Comment

If you are actually going to go out and spend money I think it should be the explorer. I really do think you will get more use out of it. Play with it at home and get it figured out a little before you take it on a job, so you don't have to waste the time on the job.
                        I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

As the Explorer has not been out long enough for most to be familiar with it I will offer my opinions. I started with a proto-type of the Explorer in April of this year. I cannot imagine not having one on the truck today after using the proto-type on several hundred inspections. Here is a quick comparison between the two.

micro – I would not even consider the first generation micro as Ridgid has really improved the product with the second generation micro. In addition to the RCA out the second generation comes in a nice molded case instead of a cloth case. There is also a new aluminum head on the second generation which is superior to the plastic head which was on the first generation micro.

Explorer – The Explorer has much better resolution and capture quality than the micro. It is also much better in a low light condition. Not only does it have a low light setting but it also has 4-lights as opposed to the 2-lights found on the micro. Both units will record video. With the micro you need to get software and a capture device to use on your laptop or you could use your SeeSnake monitor to record. With the Explorer you don’t need anything other than the Explorer to take pictures or capture video. For power the micro uses 4-AA batteries while the Explorer uses a Lithium Ion battery. Other features included on the Explorer which are not available on the micro are pan, tilt, zoom and auto-up.

Everyone will have to decide for themselves which is better for them. I now have a production model Explorer and I have to say, although it cost almost three times what a micro costs it is well worth the money. I recommend everyone get one on the truck ASAP. We are quickly coming to a point where technology will separate the skilled plumber from the guy who knows how to put in plastic. You guys need to decide which plumber you want to be.

Mark

For pricing comparison:

1st generation micro - http://www.toolup.com/ridgid/25643.html

2nd generation micro - http://www.toolup.com/ridgid/31118.html

Explorer - http://www.toolup.com/ridgid/30063.html
                          Last edited by ToUtahNow; 12-06-2008, 01:52 PM.
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Thanks Mark. Helps alot on deciding.

J.C.

P.S. I looked at a the Milwaukee version recently at HD. They have a little display where you can stick the camera in a few holes and look around. So I decided to give it a try.

Powered it on & the display kept saying, "Need to connect cable". The cable was connected and the head was already in one of the holes when I got there. So I pulled the end out of the hole and found that the head was broken off with it hanging by the wires.

Plastic head.

Comment

JC, why you wouldn't already have a Micro is beyond me

I definately would have gone for the Explorer if I didn't carry a laptop with me. The self leveling feature is pretty sweet too. And that it's expandable for future legacy.

I sure somewhere there is editing software that can level your video as it was being converted. Anyone know if this exists and where I can find it?

On the Explorer you still need a computer to transfer the video and pictures to the customer. You can't just hand them over your expensive SD cards. Then you would lose your copy.

I just copy from the Micro to a $5 jump drive and pass that onto the customer

Comment

Working...
                              X