Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the best Camera setup to buy?

Hi Guys
    I am looking at investing in a camera / locator, what is the most all round system to go with.
    It will be mostly used on residential houses, mostly 4" sewers/drainage
    Is the color picture better than black and white, and the self leverlling head worth paying for?
    I have very little experience with cameras, but would like a unit to handle most jobs, I see they make a 200 feet reel and then it jumps up to over 300, once i advertise that I have a camera, I dont want to tell customers I cant do that job because I cheaped out and bought 200 feet...dvd video blue ray....my heads hurting.. any advice would be greatly appriciated!!!

Re: Whats the best Camera setup to buy?

the color ridgid mini seesnake will be the best unit for you.

it comes up to 200' and that's more than you can push anyways. the excess is for re-termination if you snap or wear off the front end of the cable.

with the hundreds of thousands of feet i've pushed, very rarely will i ever push out beyond 200' in a single run. hard to do that in pipe with bends and grit.

brand new slick plastic is easy, but hard with lots of common bends.

a scout or navitract locater is all you need and self leveling is not an option on the mini.

go full size if you plan on 2''- 6'' pipe.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I like the fullsize even though I used the mini today on a roof, the reason I like the fullsize is I think the pushrod will last longer because it is stronger and least likely to bend and need a repair plus faster to push out. But I do 3-4" cast iron and clay for the most part. Self level doesn't seem needed for the price.
      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

One more thing, If one could wait a little I think a new model seesnake will be coming out that has USB ports and maybe some other changes then the current models will go down in price. This is only my opinion as I don't work at Ridgid and really know for sure I base this on reading Ridgid peoples posts and hints and the fact that the competion is now giving these features
        Seattle Drain Service

Comment

i have the Color Compact. i have not yet needed more than 100' of pushrod.

i added an outboard DVD recorder for when i need to record the video

probably will get a standard reel next year, just in case i need it.

the Color Compact has fit into places the Standard would be a chore or impossible. it also will do 1 1/2" pipe as the Standard will only do 2"+

just my $.02 before taxes

steve
          In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Thanks for the info, Im going to get some prices on model #23878 and #23868, both are dvd, one self leveling and one standard both full size reels, is dvd the way to go?
            Regards Mark

Comment

Many units have rca connections for video out.I like the idea of a memory based recorder (sd card..) to plug into whatever to burn video.

Comment

I have the compact too, and work in residential houses mainly
                Great camera, very handy and compact

The only disadvantage sometimes after 20m (I thing 66 ft.) if you have very rough or dirty pipes it is getting very hard to push and the cable tends to buckle. Particularly if you have bends after 20 m.

But really great in 50 and 70 mm pipes.

One day I found a golf ball in a 40 mm kitchen sink pipe and my locator showed it was jammed underneath the brand new bathroom in the concrete slab.
                Attached Files

Comment

Here some more pics taken with my seesnake compact, and recorded with my $ 300 DVD/LCD equipment.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I really like the Ridgid color mini.

I also have a Vivax, have used both their full size and mini reels, think Vivax's pushrod inferior to Ridgid, also like Ridgid's camera heads a little better.

Color is a nice feature, makes some things easier to identify, takes away little capability and costs little.

Self leveling is pointless in my opinion, and makes the camera bigger.
                    Last edited by Ace Sewer; 12-10-2008, 09:33 PM.
                    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by dabbi View Post
                      Here some more pics taken with my seesnake compact, and recorded with my $ 300 DVD/LCD equipment.
                      nice photos you captured and posted.

please share your method of recording and capturing these photos that you displayed.

thanks,

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Unless you nedd more that 200' you should not buy longer. Typically 200' is lots. A bigger concern is that if you don't have a good access point fairly straight most of the camera heads and push cables have a real hard time going through the old deep 4" cast traps... if at all and hard on the units. Self leveling is nice you don't have to stand on your head. dvd recording can be moved to your laptop for more sales.

Comment

Working...
                        X