X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap camera for lite use

I am a contractor and I do quite a bit of odd plumbing jobs. I have been looking into getting a camera system for pipes,but I cant swing the 6k for a seesnake and I wouldn't use it enough to warrant spending that if I could afford it. I found an extremely cheap one at harbor freight and was considering purchasing it. I know it is far inferior to a see snake, but what would you guys recommend?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93765
    Last edited by futuresweets10; 12-14-2008, 11:35 PM.

Re: Cheap camera for lite use

save your money and buy a used seesnake.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

If you can get a seesnake for 6 buy it now!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

You generally get what you pay for.

For your purposes, this may be ok, but for someone who uses it daily, no way. It'll never last, and the $500 price tag indicates it is on extreme closeout and you will never find parts.

May be ok for you as it may last thru 20 jobs and let you see if a real camera tool is worth having for you.
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I doubt that camera head is even waterproof. Looks like it belongs in a toy box

Comment

Originally posted by MPMGinAL View Post
            If you can get a seesnake for 6 buy it now!!!!!!!!!!
            i bought my color campact from ToolUp, delivered to St. Croix for well under $6,000. had they shipped USPS i would have saved another $200.00+

steve
            In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              save your money and buy a used seesnake.

rick.

After only a few days on this forum I already know that any advice you give me is good advice, so im not doubting you.... What do you think I could find a used one for? I know the one from HF is far from a quality product, but they do have an exteneded warranty where they replace it no questions asked as many times as it needs to be. With out that warranty I would never buy any of their stuff

Comment

check ebay. depending on the condition and model. $1500-3000.

also if you need to locate the camera in the pipe, they have built in sondes. the receiver can be found used for $500 on up. some older models even less.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Welll, unfortunately, shoving a camera into a wet, nasty environment can never be called "lite" use.

What you meant was "occasional" use. Big difference. Even though you might not be using it on a regular basis, you still need the reliability of the SeeSnake.

I like the others' ideas about getting a used SS. That may be the way to go. You also DON'T need color or self-leveling if you need to save money.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                    You generally get what you pay for.

For your purposes, this may be ok, but for someone who uses it daily, no way. It'll never last, and the $500 price tag indicates it is on extreme closeout and you will never find parts.

May be ok for you as it may last thru 20 jobs and let you see if a real camera tool is worth having for you.

You can find parts for that model. mainly parts from broken, returned cameras. I saw someone on Ebay selling them. That is what convinced me to avoid buying that model.

Comment

It is basicly the same as the "under water camera" they sell but a diffrent housing around the camera, and a push rod,
                      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                      attributed to Samuel Johnson
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by futuresweets10 View Post
                        I am a contractor and I do quite a bit of odd plumbing jobs. I have been looking into getting a camera system for pipes,but I cant swing the 6k for a seesnake and I wouldn't use it enough to warrant spending that if I could afford it. I found an extremely cheap one at harbor freight and was considering purchasing it. I know it is far inferior to a see snake, but what would you guys recommend?

Sweets
                        G/C buddy of mine bought one out of absolute emergency needs.It did not even finish the job he bought it for,a rock in a three inch line.I think he said it was 750 bucks.Took it back same afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                          Sweets
                          G/C buddy of mine bought one out of absolute emergency needs.It did not even finish the job he bought it for,a rock in a three inch line.I think he said it was 750 bucks.Took it back same afternoon.
                          Wow, that def. looks like something I should stay away from......

Comment

I know which one you are talking about, I bought one for a small job and it died the first time througha 4" cast trap. Harbour freight replaced the unit since it was one day old. The second one heats up and looses video after 5 minutes. Unit it only good for straight clean 4" pvc. I bought the seesnake self leveling, lcd, 200' color, d.v.d. -----my troubles are over.

Comment

Originally posted by futuresweets10 View Post

I found a cheap camera which may work for you and it already has a simple USB interface for the computer.

Mark
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by ToUtahNow; 01-21-2009, 12:37 AM.
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                              X