Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Renting Cameras

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
    As long as you've been in business, and you can't afford a camera?
    I've been in business less than 2 years and I have one already, and its paid off. And people in other threads are telling me *I* don't charge enough. Actually I obviously I do, but Dunbar, I don't how you can't afford the right tools as long as you've been in the game?

Anyway, Rick's right. Buy the Scout locator (around $1100 I think) and then rent the camera until you finally buy one.
    WOW I'm going to nominate this for the most insulting post this month.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
      Dunbar...

you can sink 155K into stuff that wont pay off for 2-3 year, yet less than 10 k into something you have a built in market for that will pay for itself in time billed alone in 1-2 year, let alone expanded business is something you can't do?

buy the frigging camera
      While the point is taken, I don't think anyone should be critical of anyone's decisions for their business. I don't know the ins & outs of Dunbars businesses nor his longterm overall vision.

While in alot of areas a 10k camera may pay for itself in a year or less-maybe not his area.

And what's the potential return on his 155k investment? I don't think any of us know.

I for one am inspired by his entrepreneuring.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
        And what's the potential return on his 155k investment? I don't think any of us know.
        Also, it doesn't really matter if he has the credit cards in his name. The cost is sunk, you just need to make the best of your situation. Given $10,000; he can buy a camera and still have $155k of debt, at least part of it which will grow at 35% a year. By paying off that credit card, he is basically guaranteeing himself a 35% return. The camera could have a return, but it is certainly not guaranteed.

Comment

CPW-We're thinking too much alike man. I almost posted what you said.

Maybe we are the Wonder Twins.

Thinking alike.

Looking alike.

You're addicted to Coke-I'm addicted to Dr. Pepper!

J.C.

Comment

Damn,

everybody spending my money while I was out working.

12 requests for a camera this year, that's it.

Everybody who says I should get one instead of me carefully protecting my credit score and my ability to pay without collapsing the dream,

create a poor plumber's fund for me and get me a camera, locator and we'll call it a kind gesture for helping me out, a smart move on my end for not overextending myself anymore than I already am.

The idea right now is to reduce debt, not expand it and the sewer camera doesn't magically create a huge influx of service calls. People have to know you have it first.

In time, I'll own a camera, it's a large ticket item that I just cannot afford right now and $100 a day expenditure provides the customer with the notion that I'm completing the task for them.

I came real close to tanking earlier this year and fit right in that 90% column of FAIL. You can have a really good idea and if mother nature and a economy that's zapping consumer/elective spending, MOST would of ignored and kept spending. I got smart, stopped the flow of money and realized my dream is just on delay. It's coming and my personal sacrifice now will be the honorable reward if I just carefully get there.

WTF am I on the Montel Williams show? Sheesh!
            Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 12-23-2008, 12:14 AM.
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

The Navitracker/locator though has to be called in and brought to the store by request, then eventually returned to the original store.
              The cost of the Navitrack is considerably less than the camera, plus you state that renting it has the disadvantage of a long lead time, making it near impossible to have when a job comes up today. You'd need a DeLorean with a Flux Capacitor to be able to get on on those terms.

Maybe buy the Navitrack and then you save the cost of the locater rental and you lose the 2 day lead time. If the Sea-snake camera has the sonde built in I wonder how often you would you need the transmitter?

An SR-20 is roughly $2200. How much is the locater rental you didn't say, but if its another $75 or 100/day, it will pay off faster than the camera would.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

WTF am I on the Montel Williams show? Sheesh!

You are NOT THE FATHER! Oh Lord! Oh Yes! I TOLD YOU B!TCH! NOW WHAT's UP?!!

J.C.

Comment

Hell, for what it probably cost to clean the walls and carpet and fumigate your home after your last illness, you could have bought the whole shootin' match.
                  "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

I gotta agree with Dunbar on this one. Some business' and the market share they have will not support the expenditure of a camera. I have had maybe 10 instances in the past year where one may have been beneficial. However, selling the customer a $300 camera charge would have been difficult. The way I look at tools is if I cannot make 10 percent of the purchase price each and every time I use a tool, and if it will not pay for itself within the first year, then I really don't need it and can outsource the work with lower percentages to someone else. I hate to see people start out a business with a brand new truck and brand new tools only to see them listed on Ebay a few years later.
                    Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
                      WOW I'm going to nominate this for the most insulting post this month.
                      Why? I seriously wanted to know why he couldn't afford a tool he needed after so many years in business. Dunbar is a professional and he answered my question, explaining in detail why he can't afford a camera right now. Big deal. I doubt he was insulted, he is a big boy and we have talked on the phone more than once. This is business talk, if you can't handle it then take up knitting.
                      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Not all of us are in a position to own a camera. A while back I was looking into it...and I still am. I have a need for one in the next week or so. About 6 times this year so far I could have tried to sell the service.

I have enough trouble using my k1500...see that post. BTW, I used it yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I had one, with a locator, I would advertise it bigtime! I do have a big ad campaign coming out in the spring locally advertising camera services, so i definately need one by then.

Comment

Found pinned to the wall at a local Ferguson Plumbing Wholesaler

Email reads:

Ron, Attached is a photo of my wedding ring which I was able to recover with the SeeSnake I rented from Fergusons. The platinum ring was accidentally flushed down a toilet and was sitting in the sewer pipe 15 feet down. I was able to get it out of the pipe by putting some silver-back duct tape around the camera end and getting the ring to stick to the snake. It was the best $250 I ever spent on a rental!.

Thanks, John Young

Attachment
                          Attached Files

Comment

i rented out my propress 400 with a 3'' xlc jaw set to another plumber today

that's the one you missed crack

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

I didn't realize Ferguson's rents out sewer cams.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                                I didn't realize Ferguson's rents out sewer cams.
                                Most don't to my knowledge.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                                X