X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renting Cameras

Found out last week that Sunbelt Rental will rent the SeaSnake for $70/4hours and $100 for a day, 200' of line.

The Navitracker/locator though has to be called in and brought to the store by request, then eventually returned to the original store.

So IF I want this equipment, it would have to be staged 1 or 2 days in worst case scenario to get my hands on the equipment to perform the task.

I'm really going to take up on this because I'm tired of turning away scope jobs when my experience earlier this year with using one was great, loved the opportunity I offered to my customers.

I can't afford a camera, I'm years from that expenditure but I'm thinking this is a good move as I will always purchase the damage/liability waiver if the camera breaks. There's just some things I'd hate to see break knowing the down time and costs are staggering.

So, good idea? I'm looking at maybe $125 a rental total, 2 trips to the store. I won't make much on the use of the camera, just the ability to provide my customers one more possibility to serve them.

I don't trust any other cameras at this point, heard too much good about Ridgid, just concerned about repairs to the equipment and being without when that day comes.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Re: Renting Cameras

dunbar, that's a good price, but a pain to sch. 2 rental yard trips.

if you purchase the locater and a transmitter/ sonde, you'll already be able to trace and locate lines and sewers.

think about that

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

As long as you've been in business, and you can't afford a camera?
      I've been in business less than 2 years and I have one already, and its paid off. And people in other threads are telling me *I* don't charge enough. Actually I obviously I do, but Dunbar, I don't how you can't afford the right tools as long as you've been in the game?

Anyway, Rick's right. Buy the Scout locator (around $1100 I think) and then rent the camera until you finally buy one.
      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I think itsa good idea but I think you'll find it's out for repair more often then not. I trust the camera but with every tom, Dick, and harry home owner using it, I just don't see it lasting.
        My biggest competition calls me for their camera work because they don't even trust their own guys with a camera.
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
          As long as you've been in business, and you can't afford a camera?
          I've been in business less than 2 years and I have one already, and its paid off. And people in other threads are telling me *I* don't charge enough. Actually I obviously I do, but Dunbar, I don't how you can't afford the right tools as long as you've been in the game?

Anyway, Rick's right. Buy the Scout locator (around $1100 I think) and then rent the camera until you finally buy one.

I went in debt $155,000.00 this year on 2 other businesses and all my cash flow is diverting elsewhere now. I'm not complaining but there won't be no big expenses in my plumbing company for years at this point.

Paying down debt is top priority right now and I can't go deeper, not in the plumbing company.

My plumbing company does quite good, so does the credit cards I pay monthly.

Comment

Debt sucks. I hope you dig yourself out soon.
            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

the camera is very reliable. it's the operators that are not.

of the 5 seesnakes i own. it has only been out of service 2 times. once my fault for getting the jetter too close to the camera lens. and the other time a bad transmitter.

not bad for 12-13 years of cameras.

now on the 3 other cameras/ non seesnakes, want to buy 1 cheap

i doubt the rental co is going to have great success with renting them as i do believe the unit will be damaged more than working. operator error.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                Debt sucks. I hope you dig yourself out soon.

This is a very disturbing statement, but I don't expect the fan biz to make money for at least 2-3 more years. It's just going to take that long because I don't want to put a whole lot of money at it.

Another cool summer could cause that, along with a downer economy but I always think positive realizing that's just another year I can build the name, the reputation and the product line.

Rome was not built in a day and I shouldn't expect overnight success with this one. The 3rd company (park bench idea) was a success from day one and I'm making money with that one, even in the winter months.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  the camera is very reliable. it's the operators that are not.

of the 5 seesnakes i own. it has only been out of service 2 times. once my fault for getting the jetter too close to the camera lens. and the other time a bad transmitter.

not bad for 12-13 years of cameras.

now on the 3 other cameras/ non seesnakes, want to buy 1 cheap

i doubt the rental co is going to have great success with renting them as i do believe the unit will be damaged more than working. operator error.

rick.

5?

Where, why, how did you end up with 5?

Comment

I haven't heard of the third business, park bench. Whats this all about if you don't mind sharing.
                    Also, I noticed a sign in my neck of the woods, 'DUNBAR Custom Log Homes'.

So tell me MR. Dunbar, is it your plan to take over the world?
                    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                      5?

Where, why, how did you end up with 5?
                      technology changes, just ask josh

remember that cameras and locating is what i do for others and not just myself.

i've owned a seesnake longer than ridgid has owned the company

now if you think cameras have changed, then think about the locator's from the old days. pre 512hz. pre auto depth. the days of triangulation. the good old days when you had to know how to use the equipment.

today, anyone can learn it in a matter of an hour.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Dunbar...

you can sink 155K into stuff that wont pay off for 2-3 year, yet less than 10 k into something you have a built in market for that will pay for itself in time billed alone in 1-2 year, let alone expanded business is something you can't do?

buy the frigging camera
                        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Just go the American route and ask the government for a bailout. It's the new in thing to do.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Having been in the tool rental business I caution you on the damage waiver they sell you for extra. If you really read what it covers on tools it is not much. Words like miss use are present which means pushing to hard and bending the cable (push rod) SO THAT WOULD NOT BE COVERED. It is at their discretion what they cover and it is usually nothing!
                            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

[QUOTE=Service Guy;195489]As long as you've been in business, and you can't afford a camera?
                              I've been in business less than 2 years and I have one already, and its paid off. And people in other threads are telling me *I* don't charge enough. Actually I obviously I do, but Dunbar, I don't how you can't afford the right tools as long as you've been in the camera until you finally buy one.

Do You also ask Ranchers ,How many head of cattle they own? NOT COOL
                              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                              X