Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explorer lands me lots of work

Heres a good one------
    this past weekend was an ice age, we had wind chill below -25, which meant i was out all weekend!! I started saturday at 6 am with a call of a restaurant with 2 inches of water in it and could not get water off, so after calming owner down, i guided him to backflow to turn off main. When i arrived , there was serious water damage and the whole ceiling was sagging. I got out my lifesaver explorer and got to work. I looked in a few easily accessed spots and saw nothing. I found the office had the most damage, so i got on the ladder and touched the drop ceiling tile and it crumbled. I fished the explorer head up in the joists and saw copper, so i looked around and found a split 3/4 elbow. The 90 turned down into a stud wall, so i drilled a small hole and fished the explorer again, to find the copper ran down into the wall 6 inches and was capped!!! Next i had to find where it went, so i cut some damaged ceiling to find the path it ran. Within 30 minutes i found it's path, break, and where it tapped the main without a valve.during renovation, a carpenter/diyer ran copper to the office for future expansion with no valve on main and no insulation, not to mention no insulation or heat tape in the unconditioned attic!!!! By this time i had pictures and a solution, which amazed the insurance adjuster!! He was so impressed that i didnt rip apart the place and had pics and a solution, that he hired me to do inspections for the insurance co!!! He was so eager to get me out that i already have a few scheduled!!! He said he always hated guys cutting holes to "look" for breaks , and if i did drill holes to look in, they can be patched with mud, and he would even do that for me!!!!!! Never thought anyone was more amazed at ridgids tools that i was!!!!!! This weekend was draining for me, but thinking of the reaction on his face and his comments on my explorer definitely made my day!!!!!!! The explorer has made my job much easier ,faster,and my clients bills smaller, which means i can do more calls in a day, which means more clients are taken care of. Thats what my service dept is all about!!!!! I cant thank josh and brian enough for their help and support when i had issues arise, and when they answer on the weekends at night and take time to help me, that is total dedication to your job, which is why i only buy ridgid brand tools. These two stand behind their product 110% , and that to me is priceless. Thank you josh and brian---your support is very much appreciated-

jason-----

Re: Explorer lands me lots of work

I had a guy call me last week and try to get me to go to Las Vegas to inspect some fire stopping issues. A 5-hour drive each way on a moments notice did not sound like much fun so I gave him Toolup.com's address in Las Vegas and he went and bought his own Explorer. These things are so amazing they sell themselves.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Watch out working for insurance providers. They don't pay worth a lick unless you're the insured. Once the problem is solved, you are off their radar.

As a lowly tradesperson, you are last on their list to get paid.

Make the INSURED pay you and get reimbursed from the carrier.

If you get a pipe locator, you can cut way down on the hole cutting.

Comment

I think it's such an advantage to have the photos available when you are explaining what needs to be done. I've got to imagine it takes a lot of questions out of the customer's mind right away.
        Jay
        Ohio Power Tool - Ridgid
        Coptool - Power Tool Blog

Comment

i get paid by insurance co--upon inspection----they use me to assess damage and cause---yesterday i found a cause to be 2nd floor toilet had no wax ring left, not frozen pipes, so howner was not happy that they werent getting check, but my client saved a lot, and likes me more--

i will continue to do inspections, and i wont get stiffed on bill---i have guidelines so i dont get stiffed--and if it is plumbing related, i get the repair if i want it. i also have found issues with explorer quicker than you can setup locater

Comment

I'm using my locating camera *micro-seasnake* weekly now.

That was indirectly a sale from my visit to the pumper show, meeting josh and crew.

I wanted the "bigger" one I had my hands on but reality was the smaller one, baby steps lead to bigger ones.
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by plumberjr View Post
              i get paid by insurance co--upon inspection----they use me to assess damage and cause---yesterday i found a cause to be 2nd floor toilet had no wax ring left, not frozen pipes, so howner was not happy that they werent getting check, but my client saved a lot, and likes me more--

i will continue to do inspections, and i wont get stiffed on bill---i have guidelines so i dont get stiffed--and if it is plumbing related, i get the repair if i want it. i also have found issues with explorer quicker than you can setup locater
              Cool. If you can collect from them on the job, you're set. They won't do that down here any more. Allstate used to send a guy with checks out to the job and pay everyone - me, plumber, carpet extraction guys, etc. They don't do that now.

Finding lines before drilling holes isn't about speed, it's about accuracy and minimizing holes that don't do you any good.

If the place is thoroughly thrashed before you even get there (sounds like your situation), more holes won't matter much.

Comment

Working...
              X