No announcement yet.

In-Pipe Root Blockage Pics - Have any?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: In-Pipe Root Blockage Pics - Have any?

VG-I noticed that the majority of your pics are B&W. Any thoughts of switching to color?

J.C.

Comment

Hi J.C.-

ALL of my inspections are in B/W. I bought my systems in 1998, before color even existed.

But to answer your question I am not going to scrap out $5K+ of camera heads just to get color.

To me, color is just a distraction. I am familiar enough with pipe types to be able to tell what kind I am in and also familiar with all other underground utility systems to be able to tell what I am looking at and what color it should be (as in plastic gas service bored through lateral).

If my Std. head ever goes south, I might consider a color rebuilt. But never for the Mini. Last time I checked, the Color Mini head was a full .2" larger in dia. than the B/W. That makes all the difference when your point of entry is a 1-1/4 galvanized roof stack for a kitchen drain. Probably makes 1-1/2 easier too.

Many years ago, I inspected 1-1/4" poly communications innerduct that was tearing up the jacketing on some fiber optic cable when Fishel pulled it through. I.D. was about 1-1/8" allowing for small variations in roundness. Inspected to a distance of 400' by temporarily connecting two Mini cables together (don't ask - wasn't pretty but it worked) and hauling the camera through with 1/4" Muletape (you would have never pushed the camera 400' with a splice half-way). Problem turned out to be very slight bends in the poly causing the F/O jacketing to rub excessively against the sides. Heat built up, and things melted just a little. Solution: pull cable in slower. Image of "skid marks" attached - not much to look at. Very hard to turn down the lights to a point where everything didn't wash out in a line that small. Muletape is at the top of the darker image. There's something you don't see every day - a Mini counter registering 231 ft.

I tried to get DeepSea and Ridgid to build and sell me a 400' cable so I could do more stuff like this. They wouldn't do it back then (2002). I have since learned from the boyz at Salt River Project (local power utility who uses a camera to inspect problematic conduit) that they did get a long custom cable built more recently so I might revisit it someday.

Point of all this is I wouldn't have even tried it if I had a (bigger) color head.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Vance G; 01-25-2009, 02:35 PM.

Comment

I wonder if a hard drive has a longer life??

I just saw a terabite drive @ walmart for $125

I also plan on keeping copies of all my inspections so I have been trying to work out all of the processes

Glad you know how to make um last Vance

Okie

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
          I wonder if a hard drive has a longer life??

I just saw a terabite drive @ walmart for $125

I also plan on keeping copies of all my inspections so I have been trying to work out all of the processes

Glad you know how to make um last Vance

Okie
          Some words of wisdom:

"Nothing is forever."

to which I would add:

especially when they are full of high-precision moving/rotating parts which get hot during operation (hard drive).

In my experience, some HD brands seem to last longer than others and have fewer problems.

Due to personal experience, I stay away from Maxtor and Western Digital.

I have had good luck with Fujitsu, IBM (now made by somebody else) and Seagate.

YMMV.

Comment

Working...
          X