X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Street-light detection

Im having trouble detecting the electrical lines that power street-lights when they are turned off. Ive tried using the inductive clamp with no luck. Any suggestions?

Re: Street-light detection

Originally posted by calikid View Post
    Im having trouble detecting the electrical lines that power street-lights when they are turned off. Ive tried using the inductive clamp with no luck. Any suggestions?
    What type of locator are you using? Depending on the locator, some are able to trace 60Hz so you may find it with the circuit on. Make sure your transmitter is working properly. Try it on a line you know.

Comment

Are these lights in a parking lot or similar as opposed to street lighting?
      If yes do they have individual controls (photocells) or are they controlled from one location? I have seen lights that are controlled from a single photocell that operates a contactor which turns on a string of mast lights. We were trying to locate for a dig and had to come back in the evening when the lights were on as the feeders were then powered up. This may or may not be the case you are running into.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Ya im actually trying to detect actual street lights on city streets so I guess the only way to do it would be to detect them during the night when they are powered on. I would think inducing a signal into the ground near the base of the light would put a signal through the wire but I had no luck with that either.

Comment

Would using a high powered magnet work? Since the street lights are run by inductive loops buried in the ground at traffic lights, I would think a magnet, used at night when traffic is slow, would work to trip them.......???
          Measure TWICE - Cut ONCE! 'Cause the Lumber Stretcher is broken!
          I'd throw more things away, but I'm afraid someone might want them...
          My DIY and HOW To Articles and Videos

Comment

Locating is all about creating a circuit. No circuit = no current flow = no signal. To create a circuit, the target utility must be grounded.

When the lights are OFF, the circuit is open, so you won't be able to do a passive 60Hz locate.

If you're using an inductive clamp you should be able to induce a current as long as you're clamped around the the light's ground wire.

I've been able to induce the feed for lights in a parking lot using the transmitter's built-in antenna, but the air coupling is pretty severe out to about 75 feet from the transmitter.

If you're having trouble energizing a line, try using a higher frequency if you're not already. Higher frequencies tend to bleed onto other lines more readily, but they work well when the path to ground has a high resistance.

Which transmitter and receiver are you using?

Comment

Working...
            X