X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New LCDPak Monitor

I received an email from Ridgid this morning announcing their new LCD-Pak monitor. I was very pleased to see this thing is powered by Li-Ion batteries. As far as I am concerned the fewer cords you have to run the better off you are. I also found it interesting it has an "integrated line trace feature". As it does not say "sonde" locator I assume you can now trace the entire line or the sonde in the head instead of just the camera head assuming you have a transmitter to energize the line.

http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/F1488EB...onitor_Cat.pdf

Good job Josh and crew and I hope to see one in action soon.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Re: New LCDPak Monitor

Kind of disappointed this doesn't have any recording options? Such as an optional DVD that might attach. I guess you can always rig something up with the video out...
    Jay
    Ohio Power Tool - Ridgid
    Coptool - Power Tool Blog

Comment

Stay tuned...

Originally posted by Jay6 View Post
      Kind of disappointed this doesn't have any recording options? Such as an optional DVD that might attach. I guess you can always rig something up with the video out...

Comment

Looks nice. Anyone wanna trade for my video toolcases? I don't see my familiar dimmer/sonde switch... assume some provision to run the sonde and dim the diodes has been made.
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Always good to see an effort for improvement. Should just put some sort of connectable/removable hard drive or CD burner to the bottom.

Constructive question I hope: Have there been durability tests of LCD vs. old CRT type monitors? Temps, humidity, moisture, longetivity, drop test?

My old CRT TV's just keep going with nothing done to them but some I've heard with LCD's claim their fragile and have had to get some sort of "service".

J.C.
          Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 02-04-2009, 05:25 PM.

Comment

My guesses on function buttons, etc. See attached image.

Some thoughts:

Membrane (click style behind panel) switches. Ugh. The overlay on them will crack after a while and they will become intermittent. Buy some clear Contact Paper or similar and put a couple layers over them to help.

You probably "step through" the LED brightness settings with the LED switch - brightness 1 through 10 then back to 1 again.

When you signal up ANY utility line that dead ends (like the camera cable), your trace signal will jump to whatever it can (like the copper running in the ditch with the sewer). Be careful.

Doesn't record. Better be under $1000. WAAAYY under.

Guess on "What's under here?" panel - optional SD digital recorder module (like Explorer) - additional $$$.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Vance G; 02-04-2009, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              Always good to see an effort for improvement. Should just put some sort of connectable/removable hard drive or CD burner to the bottom.

Constructive question I hope: Have there been durability tests of LCD vs. old CRT type monitors? Temps, humidity, moisture, longetivity, drop test?

My old CRT TV's just keep going with nothing done to them but some I've heard with LCD's claim their fragile and have had to get some sort of "service".

J.C.

I have beat the cr@p out of many LCD's in portable equipment (not laptops) for many years, all that happens is that they get scratched if you don't use screen protectors.

Every now and then you will get a bad run of them from China or Japan - that is probably what you've yeard about.

CRT's have much more potential to get knocked out of whack - what with all those focusing grids and all.
              Last edited by Vance G; 02-04-2009, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vance G View Post
                I have beat the cr@p out of many LCD's in potable equipment (not laptops) for many years, all that happens is that they get scratched if you don't use screen protectors.

Every now and then you will get a bad run of them from China or Japan - that is probably what you've yeard about.

CRT's have much more potential to get knocked out of whack - what with all those focusing grids and all.
                Thanks Vance. I trust your experienced opinion. I noticed the pics you posted are in B/W. Have you switched to color?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                  Thanks Vance. I trust your experienced opinion. I noticed the pics you posted are in B/W. Have you switched to color?

J.C.
                  Hey J.C.:

I rambled on some about this in Josh's "In Pipe Root Blockage" thread - maybe you never saw it:

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...4&postcount=17

-v.

Comment

Originally posted by Vance G View Post

Doesn't record. Better be under $1000. WAAAYY under.
                    I don't know, this one is battery operated and the similar corded model which includes the DVD recorder is $3,779. I can't imagine losing the DVD recorder would save you $2,800. I assume since they have a video out, the monitor includes everything it takes to record except for the actual device. Those of us who have the $200 Sony DVDirect burner could just plug it in as is.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

the 'no smoking' button will be a footage zero.

and no way is it under $1000.... bet it's over 2
                      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

just in time for joeys birthday today

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

You think it charges those batteries while it's plugged in?

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                            I assume since they have a video out, the monitor includes everything it takes to record except for the actual device. Those of us who have the $200 Sony DVDirect burner could just plug it in as is.
                            There's no microphone, so you would need to rig up your own using a mic-to-line converter. Radio Shack sells an "Amplified Listener" that may work, though you'd need to be careful not to overload the DVD recorder's line input: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2104057

Comment

Vance you have most of it right. The peg on the far right is a new feature that will allow you to hook a transmitter up to that peg and light up the whole push cable. So now you can trace PVC if you push the camera down the line. Also helps in quickly locating the sonde. You can now trace the line out directly to the sonde.

The bottom button is a zero key for the cable counter so you can now zero out the counter from the monitor (with all count plus enabled reels)

The secret panel does have to do with future upgrades and add ons.

Batteries do not charge in place. They are hot swappable though so if one is getting low you can swap only that one out while running.

I am working on getting a video up describing all the capabilities.

Comment

Working...
                              X