Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you polish your lens?

do you use lubricant on the shaft?

just kidding.

i wonder if "pledge" would help? or some kind clear water repellent.

is this even a practice?

is it even needed for that matter?

Vince

Re: Do you polish your lens?

We use Rain-x it works great. We keep to bottles on the truck at all times.
    www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

That is a fantastic idea jrsaltz. I love this forum.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

There's another product called "Cat Crap" (no joke) that we used to use years ago on our home made tractor cameras. I think we heard about it from a scuba diver that was using it to prevent his face mask from fogging up. Don't remember if it smelled like its namesake.

Haven't really needed anything like this on my SS's. You just need to remember to dip the camera into hot water for a few minutes during cold weather before putting it into a warm, humid sewer. Otherwise they fog up pretty fierce.

Comment

What is the best thing for getting grease off the end of a lens, I just use soap and water but some times it takes a while to get off and just smears it.

Comment

Originally posted by pioneer1 View Post
            What is the best thing for getting grease off the end of a lens, I just use soap and water but some times it takes a while to get off and just smears it.
            Good CLEAN rag (not that one lying in the back of your truck) and liquid dishwashing detergent.

Don't use the same spot on the rag over and over. Move around.

My blue jeans work pretty well too when the truck is far away...

Comment

rain x is mine choice also for cleaning lens... it works quite good. hey i liked this emotion.....
              T mobile wallpapers PC

Comment

the majority of all camera lenses are sapphire. pretty much indestructible.

it's the light diffuser that's most critical.

this is pretty much a plastic. fortunately it only supplies light and even if it's scratched or foggy, the light will get out.

in the old days the infrared lights had poor penetration. today the leds are much brighter and can compensate for dirty diffusers.

as far as the lens goes, i never apply anything on it and typically it's only the kitchen lies with grease that tend to smear a lens. the little water i have running is what i use to clean the lens as it's pushed.

i use simple green to help with cleaning the push cables and drums.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

After running the camera through a lot of cast iron, my diffuser always looks real bad. Once in a while, I'll use a cloth dremel buffing wheel and rouge and lightly go around it to polish back up. Makes a huge noticeable difference in the light output. Don't press hard or leave the wheel in any one place at a time.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    the majority of all camera lenses are sapphire. pretty much indestructible.

it's the light diffuser that's most critical.

this is pretty much a plastic. fortunately it only supplies light and even if it's scratched or foggy, the light will get out.

in the old days the infrared lights had poor penetration. today the leds are much brighter and can compensate for dirty diffusers.

as far as the lens goes, i never apply anything on it and typically it's only the kitchen lies with grease that tend to smear a lens. the little water i have running is what i use to clean the lens as it's pushed.

i use simple green to help with cleaning the push cables and drums.

rick.

Hi Rick

What is" simple green" is it your wife's best dishwashing liquid.
                    How often do you clean your camera cables.

Thank you

Simon

Comment

I use Q-tips to swab the lens and LED's

Comment

Originally posted by Some Day Plumbing View Post
                        Hi Rick

What is" simple green" is it your wife's best dishwashing liquid.
                        How often do you clean your camera cables.

Thank you

Simon
                        simon, send me a ticket and i'll bring a liftimes supply of simple green

or you can go to the store and buy something similar. it's a household grease cutter. color is green.

works good as an ant killer too

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                        X