X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home made electronic locator, metal,abs

Lazer Guy 10/01/07 Another site,Thanks' wire coil attached to a length of semi ridgid wire,and connected to a low V. A.C. transformer.Insert in drain,It sends an E.M. field right through the pipe[ no matter iron or abs] Signal picked up with another coil tied to a sensitive digital volt meter, finding the place on top of the slab where the signal was strongest,marking it ,then moving a foot down the pipe mark ,and repeat. Decent precision!
    Thanks again, Lazer Guy ! I love clever. This isn't a threat to RIDGID , but it sure is fun to
    look over someones clever shoulder! Yesterday , a Croatian taught Me how He made lime mortar . Burning limestone in a wood fire to 700 degrees. dump water on it,turns to a Yogurt. Let it set 24 days. Add sand. start setting Your stone home. Love to learn.
    Off to work day # 7. Tool
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Home made electronic locator, metal,abs

Crush limestone first... big chunks of rock when heated tend to explode when quenched

FYI:

(Per Wiki)
    Non-hydraulic lime is primarily composed of calcium hydroxide (generally greater than 95%). Non-hydraulic lime is produced by the heating of sufficiently pure limestone (calcium carbonate) to between 954° and 1066°C, driving off carbon dioxide, to produce quicklime (calcium oxide). As well as calcium based limestone, dolomitic limes can be produced which are based on calcium magnesium carbonate. This is done in a lime kiln. The quicklime is then slaked – thoroughly mixed with water to produce lime putty (calcium hydroxide), or with less water to produce dry hydrated lime. The slaking process involved in creating a lime putty is an exothermic vigorous reaction which initially creates a liquid of a cream consistency. This then has to be matured for between 2 to 3 months - depending upon environmental conditions - to allow time for it to condense and mature into a lime putty. A matured lime putty displays a physical property known as "thixotropic" which means that when a lime putty is physically agitated it changes from a putty into a more liquid state. This aids its use for mortars as it makes a mortar easier to work with and apply. If left to stand following agitation a lime putty will slowly revert from a thick liquid back to a putty state. It is always advised that a lime mortar should be "knocked up" prior to its use.
    Non-hydraulic lime is produced in two forms: hydrated lime and lime putty. A frequent source of confusion regarding lime mortar stems from the similarity of the terms hydraulic and hydrated, however the two terms, in this context, have different meanings. Hydrated lime is any lime other than quicklime, so can refer to either hydraulic (hardens underwater) or non-hydraulic (doesn't harden underwater) lime. Stored lime putty is always non-hydraulic (since hydraulic putty sets quickly after mixing) and, as the name suggests, lime putty is in the form of a putty made from just lime and water.
    If the quicklime is slaked with an excess of water then putty or slurry is produced. If less water is used, then the result is a dry material (any excess water escaping as steam during heating). This is ground to make hydrated lime.
    Hydrated non-hydraulic lime can be mixed with water to form lime putty. Before use it is usually left in the absence of carbon dioxide (usually under water) to mature. Putty can be matured for anything from 24 hours to many years, an increased maturation time improving the quality of the putty. There is however an argument that a lime putty which has been matured for an extended period eg over 12 months, becomes so stiff that it is less workable. There is some dispute as to the comparative quality of putty formed from hydrated lime compared to that produced as putty at the time of slaking. It is generally agreed that the latter is preferable. A hydrated lime will produce a material which is not as "fatty" and often due to lengthy and poor storage, the resulting lime produced by hydrated lime will exhibit longer carbonation periods as well as lower compressive strengths.

Comment

Thanks Bill, I have no plans to make My own Lime Motar. Evon flew back home ,to do Just that! It's pretty amazing what folks can do with little to no resources. My friend was a Bechtel Struct. Eng. for 28 Years. I do all His repairs and remodels. He can do Nada with His hands. Smart Man ,of course
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

yeah, but can you get depth and location?

i'm usually within an inch or 2

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          yeah, but can you get depth and location?

i'm usually within an inch or 2

rick.
          I doubt it. Guy's clever though'

Comment

Working...
          X