X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explorer Use

I had to replace a gas valve recently on a water heater. I thought why I had it out I would use the Ridgid MicroExplorer to take a peek at the anode & dip-tube while I was at it.

Just another use I found for it I thought might interest some.

There is some "hazing" around the pics I assume due to the residual heat. That's why I was asking in another thread the max temps of the Explorer to maybe pre-heat the lens.

Some of my friends out West thought I wanted to make Pop Tarts with it.

J.C.
    Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 01-18-2010, 11:41 PM.

Re: Explorer Use

I thought you were asking about the MicroRay which is their laser thermometer. Now I understand why you asked if I was screwing with you.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

No problem with the lost in translation. I found the info I was looking for.

It was still humorous if you were messing with me.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
        No problem with the lost in translation. I found the info I was looking for.

It was still humorous if you were messing with me.

J.C.
        LOL-No I actually gave you the specs for the MicroRay right off of the product page.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I melted and killed plastic imaging head on the 1st generation Micro. Shoved it up the flue chamber to inspect the baffle. I'm way more careful now with the Explorer.

JC, the dip tube looks fine. What are your thoughts on the anode rod?

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
            I melted and killed plastic imaging head on the 1st generation Micro. Shoved it up the flue chamber to inspect the baffle. I'm way more careful now with the Explorer.

JC, the dip tube looks fine. What are your thoughts on the anode rod?
            This is a Whirlpool heater that was installed in January of 2009 on municipal water.

While the anode looks "crusty" my understanding is that it is in normal condition and when failing the wire the sacrificial metal surrounds becomes exposed over time. Start to see the wire, better think of replacement. As you know 99% will never bother with this.

Looks pretty rough for only 3 months on muni water though, huh?

J.C.

Comment

LOL Whirlpool can't produce a gas valve to last longer than 3 months?

Oh, how the mighty have fallen

Comment

LOL Whirlpool can't produce a gas valve to last longer than 3 months?

Oh, how the mighty have fallen
                Yep. http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...ight=Whirlpool

J.C.

Comment

Now that we are officially off topic, may I ask who is paying for the gas valve and your labor to install?

This should have been covered under warranty

If we were the orginal installer, I likey would have eaten the service call to go back and replace the gas valve rather than call in a Whirlpool rep.

Comment

Now that we are officially off topic, may I ask who is paying for the gas valve and your labor to install?

This should have been covered under warranty

If we were the orginal installer, I likey would have eaten the service call to go back and replace the gas valve rather than call in a Whirlpool rep.
                    If I were the original installer:

1) I would have handled anything. No problem
                    2) There would not have been a Whirlpool/Lowes heater installed.

They did not want the original plumber back apparently. I called Whirlpool and got them to send a new gas valve directly to me for no charge to the customer. They did not argue and were very willing to send the valve for no charge.

The homeowner paid me for the installation of the gas valve.

J.C.

Comment

We have a 32 year old heater (non leaker) we just pulled out yesterday at the shop.

Wonder what the anode rod looks like on that? I'll try to remember to take a pic with the Explorer on Monday

Comment

One more thing....

Checked on the customer today.... all good & very happy.

J.C.

Comment

remember that whirlpool doesn't make the heater or the gas valve.

i tink the wirlpool is a rheem and the valve is a robertshaw?

right? wrong

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

I'm 99% sure the Whirlpool is made by American Water Heater. AWH was bought by AO Smith. AO Smith ships some heaters that are AWH's painted with AOS's colors and stickers. I was told any AOS heater with an "A" in the model # has the crummy GV used by american/whirlpool.

I may not have that 100% correct- do your own research.

They are all junk. That I am 100% sure about.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              remember that whirlpool doesn't make the heater or the gas valve.

i tink the wirlpool is a rheem and the valve is a robertshaw?

right? wrong

rick.

Whirlpool is made by US Craftmaster (thats what the stickers say). I don't know the manufacturer of the gas valve but there are issues with the Gas valves for sure.

In the largest acquisition in company history, A. O. Smith purchases GSW Inc. GSW manufactures residential and commercial water heaters for the Canadian market, and the American Water Heater Company supplies residential and commercial products in the U. S. AWHC also is the exclusive supplier of water heaters to Lowe's carrying the Whirlpool ® brand.

JC Is the water heater Jaques Cousteau.
                              Last edited by EasyEman; 04-04-2009, 09:09 AM. Reason: new info

Comment

Working...
                              X