X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New transmitter

We just put our SeeSnake Plus in the shop (again). Ridgid service rep. technician says it needs a new transmitter.

We have an old style transmitter.

To convert to new style: nearly $900

Is there really an 'old' and 'new' style?

If so, what's the diff?

Re: New transmitter

Not sure about the xmtr used on the Plus, but the "old" xmtr for the Mini didn't have the longer antenna rod that the newer one does. Longer rod = increased range. See image.

That $900 includes labor?

The xmtr itself costs $608 at Northstate. $300 labor is WAYYY too much to install it. There is no "converting" necessary - just plug it in. You will have to tear apart the camera connecting ring (snap rings - disassemble with small flat-blade screwdriver - nos. 1 through 6 on the attached exploded diagram) so you can reuse it. Not hard. Don't poke yourself in the finger prying them out. Takes about a half hour.

Last time I trashed a xmtr, I got a "factory reconditioned" one for less $$$ than a new one from Central Ok. Winnelson when I sent in the dead one for exchange.
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Vance

Yea, I figured as much

He made it sound like there was a big conversion process involved using different connections from old to new.

Then he said it can be ready by 3:00 pm

If I had larger gonades I might try and do it myself. I do own a flat blade screwdriver

Comment

bill i have a couple old school "pill style" transmitters. i believe they are for the mini. do you still need one?

if i'm not mistaking the older ones were on all the time and you didn't have to cycle them to turn them on

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Rick:

If by "pill style" you mean the ones where the transmitter circuitry was just a "blob" with the pigtails on both ends vs. the newer one with the antenna rod extending into the pigtails, I originally had one of those.

As I recall, it had to be powered on and off as it tore up the picture when it was on same as the FlexMitter does.

We are probably doing a great just of confusing the hell out of Bill on this one...

Comment

Originally posted by Vance G View Post
            Rick:

If by "pill style" you mean the ones where the transmitter circuitry was just a "blob" with the pigtails on both ends vs. the newer one with the antenna rod extending into the pigtails, I originally had one of those.

As I recall, it had to be powered on and off as it tore up the picture when it was on same as the FlexMitter does.

We are probably doing a great just of confusing the hell out of Bill on this one...
            yes, these were the original models that were always hot when energized. when they switched over to the current model, then you had to de-energize the camera to turn it on and off.

i originally used a power supply that pre dated all the current stuff. all it had was a on, off and light dimmer switch. from memory itwas always hot and no switching was necessary.

when i switched to the current transmitter, i had to de-energize the camera for approx 5 seconds to activate the transmitter.

i've finally retired both my power supplies. both working good, but my current color video tool case has all the current electronics.

when it gets time to retire my set up, i'll be moving up to the new dvd base/ pack unit. love the small size, battery power for portability and sony dvd built into it

don't worry about bill. he's confused when he wakes up in the morning

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Vance G View Post
              Rick:

make that "great JOB"...

Comment

I gave the go ahead to fix it but now you got me thinking

I have the really old SeeSnake with the transmitter that was ON all the time. Never had any interference on my old monitor. Monitor didn't even have a on-off switch for sonde. Like the one Rick spoke of.

Will I get interference from new transmitter?

If I do, I have no way to shut it off

OH NO! I might have to buy a new monitor?

am I still confused?

Bill

Comment

Foo.

Well, I can speak to SeeSnakes 1998 and on, but not before.

On every monitor I have used since '98, the transmitter interferes with the video when it is ON. This is with Power Pack type 67272.

There is a post I made a while back with screenshots. I wil find it and get back here with the URL.

Comment

OK, frame grabs of video with xmtr OFF and ON.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20730

#10.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                      I gave the go ahead to fix it but now you got me thinking

I have the really old SeeSnake with the transmitter that was ON all the time. Never had any interference on my old monitor. Monitor didn't even have a on-off switch for sonde. Like the one Rick spoke of.

Will I get interference from new transmitter?

If I do, I have no way to shut it off

OH NO! I might have to buy a new monitor?

am I still confused?

Bill
                      or you can ask nicely and i can sell you a brand spanking new one

is this for the mini or full size?

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                      X