Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New LCD Monitor & mini verses full size test drive today!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New LCD Monitor & mini verses full size test drive today!!!

Hi All
    After doing research on the Mini sea snake verses Full size, I was set on going full size, so today I met with the ridgid rep to so show the new LCD and both the mini and full size reels in action( the wholesaler has some full size reels the same price as the mini, I guess bought them last year while our dollar was higher than the US) another reason I liked going full size.

The new LCD ...awsome very small and worked well on battery power.

So I had snaked this job about two weeks ago with the K 60 and pulled out a white mice blockage. I got another call as it was backing up again, so I wanted to test the pushing difference of the mini verse full size, its a 3 inch cast iron pipe, we started off with the mini and got stuck at around 70 feet, no blockage found, just a bend, so we didnt try that hard to get around it and opted to put the full size down, so we switched reels and with the full size got stuck around 70 feet, I was kadda gob smacked, I thought the full size would power through this bend, so all three of us that where there tryed as hard as we could to no avail, so we switched back to the min and after giving the same amount of force we got through this bend and went out to 100 feet, even the rep was surprised!!! The pipe showed just lots of flaking , rusting, wear etc .
    So I'm really confused now as I was set on buying full size, and now after todays test leaning more towards the Mini.
    Has this happened to any one else?

Re: New LCD Monitor & mini verses full size test drive today!!!

The mini is more flexible and easier to make it around bends. The full size is much stiffer and while it will not negotiate as well as the mini you can push it further. I have always felt the way to go is start with a mini and add a full size after the mini pays for itself. However, if the deal is better on a full size today that might change my way of thinking.

Mark

BTW: I use the mini more often than my full but everyone needs are different.
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Mini is the shizzle for my purposes.
      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

mini is good for up to 4''. after that it's too flexible and lighting is a little weaker.

the mini will get through tite turns, but the full size will push farther in open pipe.

mini is easier to transport to the location and on a roof.

rick.

i too like the new lcd units
        phoebe it is

Comment

Price being the same get the full size! When you where doing the demo did you have water running? Where you using the stars to lift the camera up off the pipe? Sometimes on cast iron I don't use the stars and put wd40 on the camera before I start the run.
          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Hi
            The rep did not have any stars to show me, he said the stars for the full size would not fit in a 3 inch cast iron pipe? He mentioned some guys attach a fishing line to the camera and use it by pulling back to help go around stuff? I have never heard of that one before.
            Thanks for your comments Mark

Comment

P.S. had lots of water running.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
                Price being the same get the full size! When you where doing the demo did you have water running? Where you using the stars to lift the camera up off the pipe? Sometimes on cast iron I don't use the stars and put wd40 on the camera before I start the run.
                Yowch!

WD-40 has solvents that will eat O-rings and pigtail cable over time.

Better choice might be PAM (the cooking stuff).

Comment

Originally posted by British Plumber View Post
                  Hi
                  The rep did not have any stars to show me, he said the stars for the full size would not fit in a 3 inch cast iron pipe? He mentioned some guys attach a fishing line to the camera and use it by pulling back to help go around stuff? I have never heard of that one before.
                  Thanks for your comments Mark
                  Wow that rep was wrong they sell 3 inch centering stars you bend them to make them work best for you.
                  Seattle Drain Service

Comment

The stars that came with my unit started breaking the first time I used them. By the third or fourth time I used them they were useless. Snapped a little too easy.

Comment

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
                      The stars that came with my unit started breaking the first time I used them. By the third or fourth time I used them they were useless. Snapped a little too easy.
                      Ouch they cost $80 bucks a box!!
                      I only use them to make DVD's when it's a paid inspection, if it's for me or no dvd is being made I usually don't use them because Of the cost.
                      Last edited by Cuda; 04-07-2009, 09:52 PM.
                      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Drilled whiffle balls taped on maybe?

Just thinking.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
                          Ouch they cost $80 bucks a box!!
                          I only use them to make DVD's when it's a paid inspection, if it's for me or no dvd is being made I usually don't use them because Of the cost.
                          Ouch is right, I haven't even priced them yet, didnt realize $80. Not surprising though considering how much I paid for the unit.

I've done 13 inspections (keeping track of investment) since buying my camera in Jan and find I dont need the stars. If the line is too dirty I try to run water or just clean the line.

I have some thicker stars (not sure what they're called) that came with the unit if it becomes necessary to lift head out of belly. I dont see myself buying new stars any time soon.

Comment

[quote=British Plumber;222078]Hi
                            ...the stars for the full size would not fit in a 3 inch cast iron pipe? /quote]

The star-type guides can be trimmed down to fit your pipe size using shears. You may find that the ball-type centering guides work better for you.

I once observed a Mini SeeSnake camera stopped by build-up that had reduced the diameter of a 2" CI pipe. The pipe was a kitchen line, and the camera was in a straight portion of pipe with no obvious blockage. Looking at the monitor it was not immediately obvious to me that the pipe's diameter had been reduced to the point that it impeded the camera. Fortunately I was with an experienced tech who had seen this before.

Comment

[quote=irguy;222314]
                              Originally posted by British Plumber View Post
                              Hi
                              ...the stars for the full size would not fit in a 3 inch cast iron pipe? /quote]

The star-type guides can be trimmed down to fit your pipe size using shears. You may find that the ball-type centering guides work better for you.

I once observed a Mini SeeSnake camera stopped by build-up that had reduced the diameter of a 2" CI pipe. The pipe was a kitchen line, and the camera was in a straight portion of pipe with no obvious blockage. Looking at the monitor it was not immediately obvious to me that the pipe's diameter had been reduced to the point that it impeded the camera. Fortunately I was with an experienced tech who had seen this before.
                              Ya know, I always hear about guys using the stars but never the ball guides

When is the proper time to use one over the other or does it even matter?

I have only used the stars in the past and find them to be a PITA most of the time.

It's time for me to go get some balls

Comment

Working...
                              X