X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Navitrack transmitter question

I have a Scout already, and am looking to add a transmitter to energize copper and galvanized water lines to trace them out. I know this was talked about on the DVD that came with my Scout, but I can't find where I put it. Should I be looking at the Navitrack line transmitter, the Navitrack brick, or something else?

Re: Navitrack transmitter question

Originally posted by Nevada plumber View Post
    I have a Scout already, and am looking to add a transmitter to energize copper and galvanized water lines to trace them out. I know this was talked about on the DVD that came with my Scout, but I can't find where I put it. Should I be looking at the Navitrack line transmitter, the Navitrack brick, or something else?
    Boy are you in luck. If you are available next Wednesday Ridgid will be at Toolup in Las Veagas doing hands on demos. I have the Navitack transmitter and I am very happy with it.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I see the transmitter can send out more frequencies at higher power then the brick can. What is the conductive ground rod on the transmitter for?

I purchased my Scout over the Navitrack II because I didn't need all the bells and whistles. I am wondering if I need the bells and whistles of the transmitter over the brick, if that makes sense.

Yeah, I was planning on going to Toolup next week. Are you still planning on showing up?

Comment

I see the transmitter can send out more frequencies at higher power then the brick can. What is the conductive ground rod on the transmitter for?

I purchased my Scout over the Navitrack II because I didn't need all the bells and whistles. I am wondering if I need the bells and whistles of the transmitter over the brick, if that makes sense.

Yeah, I was planning on going to Toolup next week. Are you still planning on showing up?
        When you are tracing a line you need to put one wire on the line and the other to a ground.

My plans at this time are to be there at Toolup.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Should I be looking at the Navitrack line transmitter, the Navitrack brick, or something else?
          The main ingredient to a successful locate is knowledge, so before buying a transmitter take a look at the free training materials provided by RIDGID right on this website: http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Utility-...g/EN/index.htm

Some core principles to remember with respect to utility locating (aka: line tracing) are:

1. You are tracing a signal, NOT the actual utility; the signal may or may not reflect the target utility's actual position.

2. A signal is generated by current flowing on a continuous metallic conductor; no current = no signal.

3. In order to get current flowing you need to create a complete circuit. No circuit = no current = no signal.

4. Just like water, electrical current always follows the path of least resistance. If an adjacent conductor offers an easier path to ground, the signal will choose that path. (Remember the first principle!)

Utility locating is all about creating good circuits, where current flows on the utility you want to trace (the target utility) and stays off lines that you do not want to trace. Quite often, this is easier said than done, and that's where a more advanced transmitter and/or receiver can help.

With respect to specific transmitter choices, the Brick ought to work well for your intended use.

If you need to locate in conditions that increase the resistance of your circuit (longer distances or dry/sandy soil), or eat up the signal over a short distance (non-insulated conductor in very wet soil), a more powerful transmitter like the NaviTrack would give you more "punch".

If you frequently need to energize the line inductively using the transmitter's built-in antenna (in situations where connecting directly to the target utility is either not possible or not desirable), the SeekTech ST-33Q would be a good choice because of its extremely high inductive signal output (~10X greater than comparable transmitters).

If you find yourself doing a lot of line tracing, you may at some point want to consider upgrading to a more sophisticated receiver. With proper care the Scout can produce accurate results, but a more advanced unit will get you there faster.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
          X