X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• locating non metallic lines

I have recently purchased Rigid product, ST-305 and Scout. The old equipment I had from Ditch Witch is not serviceable so an investment was made. My first time out using a fish tape was not successful. Tech support says the method will not work because the fishtape is encased in the poly line and a circuit cannot be completed making tracing difficult. Did I buy the wrong equipment? My task usually involved a 1" poly line attached to a copper stub out at the house. Locating the line underground and under concrete or where the line exits a structure.

Re: locating non metallic lines

You need to use an impulse generator and a leak locator.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I have no desire for a leak detector as replacement is the goal. Determining existing line path to a connection point at the structure is critical. What is a pulse generator and who makes one?
      Last edited by curtismc56; 05-02-2009, 02:33 PM.

Comment

We used to trace 3/4" poly water lines by cutting the line inside the house and inserting a electricians fish tape. The locater would then pick up on the metal, would this work out for you?
        Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by curtismc56 View Post
          I have no desire for a leak detector as replacement is the goal. Determining existing line path to a connection point at the structure is critical. What is a pulse generator and who makes one?

http://www.metrotech.com/Uploads/products/RSP%203.pdf
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
            We used to trace 3/4" poly water lines by cutting the line inside the house and inserting a electricians fish tape. The locater would then pick up on the metal, would this work out for you?
            Yes Aaron that is the method we employed with the Ditch Witch equipment. I was hoping the rigid equipment would serve the same purpose however I am apparently missing something. That is why I post here to appeal to find out is the ST-305 the correct purchase.

Comment

The 305 is capable of doing this type of locate. You will get the best results by using max power at 262kHz.

Comment

AaronI have the same question - did it work for you?

Comment

Working...
                X