SR-20 at 60HZ-Good Locate?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SR-20 at 60HZ-Good Locate?

Seeking advice on whether this would be a typical expectation for the SR-20 Locator.

Background: This a "known" locate. Meaning I know what's in the ground and am using it for practice.

This is a residential power line ran underground. This utility is required to have a 3' burial and we typically find them in that range when excavating.

The house has no traditional phone lines, cable lines, internet access at all. None.

There is a satellite in mounted to the back of the house. No line underground.

There are no utilities above. No power lines above this underground line.

The pics of the locator screen are at about the middle of the 80' run doing a passive locate without transmitter or inductive clamp. Nothing above. I laid the locator down at the locate point for a picture reference. The power pole is from the original power line that was in the air. Typically ran to the soffit and down to the meter here. It was removed and ran through the ground.

The screen indicates my strongest readings at 60HZ. I DO pay attention to all numbers and not just the intuitive "line". This is also as true-bold-non fuzzy as the "line" would get. It would never center either no matter where I moved the locator and the arrows would not get still irregardless of where I placed the locator. Move left 2 inches, they indicate to move right. Move right 2 inches, they indicate to move left.

My question. Is this a good locate? Is this what one should expect on a passive 60HZ locate for underground electrical power with no interference?

Honestly trying to learn.

Thanks for any input.

J.C.
    Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 01-18-2010, 09:41 PM.

Re: SR-20 at 60HZ-Good Locate?

Have you tried a lower frequency, try 4kHz, maybe there is a correlation since your electric is coming in at 60Hz?

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
      Have you tried a lower frequency, try 4kHz, maybe there is a correlation since your electric is coming in at 60Hz?
      Thanks WS. An email to Ridgid Support yielded this answer:

J.C,
      You are better using the 15KHz when tracing in passive mode. If you use 60Hz, it pick up harmonics from the buried line and distorted the signal.

I'm just trying to understand the logic & uses of the frequencies. Seems like a 60HZ system would be located by a 60HZ frequency locator setting.

On another note, gas line tracer wire-dead on so far.

Still learning.

J.C.

Comment

i used my scout today for sewers 512hz but also used 60hz to locate the buried sevice from the street vault. i hope it's riight on as i have to figure some digging/ pipe pulling and i can't move the electrical to set my puller.

great steady even signal. have to trust it

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
          4kHz would be higher would it not?

4 kilo hertz = 4,000 Hertz

That is higher in frequency than 60 Cycle (Hertz) AC.
          "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

From what I can see, and based on your description of how the Tracing Line and Guidance Arrows behave, I would say that this is not a trustworthy locate.

Difficult to say without actually being there, but it would appear that the receiver is not picking up a very strong signal.

The receiver -- any receiver -- is locating a signal, not the actual utility, and a signal is created by current flowing through a conductor. No current = no signal = no locate.

During the day many homes have very little current flowing, which can make passive 60Hz locates impossible.

Two options for passive locating:
            1. Turn on lights and appliances to get some current flowing.

2. Use a higher frequency, as suggested by Ridgid. Common high frequency signal sources include radio and TV signals. A conductor will often pick these signals up and re-radiate them, producing a locatable signal.

Your best option BY FAR is to use a Ridgid line transmitter to induce a signal on the target conductor. You may want to consider using your transmitter first and then double-checking your results with a passive locate.

Ridgid has some good training materials posted here: http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Utility-...g/EN/index.htm

Comment

Jc I have yet to have our SR-20 center the line when locating. The two arrows point at each other and the line has always been off center.

Comment

Working...
              X