X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini does another gas leak

200' of 2" PE from main house to guest house with branch to firepit next to pool. Homeowner smelled gas - called gas. co. who isolated line at meter and house.

Looks like something driven in from top of pipe. Grainy, like a stick (one damn tough stick). Leak is near the 2" fusion tee to the firepit which is why you can see the welds. Looked at it from the north end and the south end. No evidence of anything at the surface - I am wondering if this happened during construction.

Also took an image from the surface - you gas fitters already know why the lawn looks kinda ratty there...more evidence that this has been leaking for some time.
    Attached Files

Re: Mini does another gas leak

Probably at back fill! The stick had to have some force behind it.

Comment

vance, i can tell you sdr11 hdpe pipe is as tuff as it comes. you can hit it with a sledge hammer all day long and not damage it.

this is not a stick from backfilling.

see the curly shred, that doesn't happen from a piercing. it happens from an auger/ drill.

what did you pull out in the repair?

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        vance, i can tell you sdr11 hdpe pipe is as tuff as it comes. you can hit it with a sledge hammer all day long and not damage it.

this is not a stick from backfilling.

see the curly shred, that doesn't happen from a piercing. it happens from an auger/ drill.

rick.
        Good catch. I figured somebody would see the shaving eventually....

It's loose. I pushed it around. It was actually in the tee about 6" before the leak area.

It's probably left over from the facing/planing process of the fusion machine. Somebody didn't blow the line out after install - there was all manner of small loose crud in it.

I just did this this afternoon - the homeowner is going to arrange for repair. I asked him to let me know what it was. Danged if I can figure it out...the line's 24" deep so I don't think it was a tiki torch or something like that.

It almost looks melted if you look at it right.

Comment

Driveway setup.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

rick.
            So somebody drilled the line and plugged it with stick?

Inconceivable!

Comment

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
              So somebody drilled the line and plugged it with stick?

Inconceivable!
              vance only did the locate. he'll try to find out what it was when the plumber does the repair.

a stick didn't penetrate the 2'' pipe.

having worked with sdr11 and sdr17 hdpe in both gas and sewer installs.

both digging and trenchless including the gas pipe, there is no other pipe i can think of that's as durable and strong as hdpe.
              the city trash cans that are picked up with the automated claw are made from hdpe

go take your sledge hammer to a section of 2'' sdr11 and take photos and wear your goggles. also pack a lunch. you might flatten it, but you won't pierce it.

i demo 4'' sdr17 with a sledge hammer and ball pien all the time. i'm still on my original piece and it's still fine. customers are impressed.

i also hammer my pipe home on trenchless and barely dent the end with a sledge hammer knocking in over 80' at times.

no stick penetrated the pipe accidentally. if it is a stick, someone pushed it into a hole to cover up a screwup.

would like to know how old the install was?

try the sledge hammer thing and post photos. just be careful

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

UPDATE: 06/26/2009.

I called the homeonwer today to see if he's dug it up yet. He had to leave town on business and hasn't got around to it. He said he will let me know when he exposes it.

He did say that during construction, the contractor had used pieces of re-bar in that area to stake the line in position.

That looks to be about the right size.

Now I wonder how it got past the city inspector...no way it could have passed a pressure test.

Comment

often times we'll have our gas lines tested and inspected long before the house is finished so we can get gas hooked up to the furnaces/water heaters. so if re bar were hammered in while doing the concrete and yard work I can definitely see it happening. That's still some serious force to punch that gas line.
                  No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I've got a similar situation on an ongoing install. In this instance we are doing the yard piping to 5 buildings in sections because they won't let us lay it all at once. Anyway, after every section we install, my guys test everything. Today, after running about 20' of 3" and installing a meter riser, my plumber calls and says the line won't take a test, says the dial drops like a stone. Sounds like a hole in the pipe to me. First thing I'll do is have the laborers expose the line adjacent to where the electrician set his concrete vault. If that's a negative, it's mini time.

Comment

The homeowner sent me an image. Good old rebar. Based on the image, I still say that's been there from day one. There isn't any reason for that piece of bar to be there other than to stake out the gas line.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I bet you're right that it's been there all along.

But I think it did not pierce the line fully and cause a leak until some time later. Maybe ground pressure finally pushed it through the last little bit to complete the puncture and start the leak.

When did the lawn start to turn, that is probably when it happened.
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                        X