Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How the MicroDrain Saved My Life

Ok, not really but....

Customer says his rear areaway drain backed up last week during a heavy storm. I ran water using a hose full force for 10 minutes and no backup. Feeling lazy on a hot day, I decide to grab the Microdrain instead of the snake just to peek down the drain. Found two bullets in the bottom of the trap.

What if...

the snake hit that bullet just right, would it, could it, shoot back up out of the trap and plunk me in the head?

Click image for larger version

Name:	1281dba37cfa2f16011de98ea2156544.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	7483Click image for larger version

Name:	d3e54438cb15eac652638b324a17174e.jpg
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	7484Click image for larger version

Name:	218517e25bc273c5b3ff1a5983c30039.jpg
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	7485Click image for larger version

Name:	19bc0ff72c43bd8ea7f63bd88cbea2ce.jpg
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	7486

I remember having this conversation standing around a bonfire once when someone tossed a box of .22 caliber shells on the coals just to see what happened. The shells went off while we all danced, hooted and hollered. Going on the theory that without a barrel to travel through, the bullet is harmless. Only the gunpowder in the shell burns and there is no projectile.

Was this foolish behavior?

Re: How the MicroDrain Saved My Life

Wet gun powder, naaaaa.......
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Those are DC bullets. They were probably filled with crack instead of gun powder.
      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
        Ok, not really but....

Customer says his rear areaway drain backed up last week during a heavy storm. I ran water using a hose full force for 10 minutes and no backup. Feeling lazy on a hot day, I decide to grab the Microdrain instead of the snake just to peek down the drain. Found two bullets in the bottom of the trap.

What if...

the snake hit that bullet just right, would it, could it, shoot back up out of the trap and plunk me in the head?

Click image for larger version

Name:	1281dba37cfa2f16011de98ea2156544.jpg
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	7483Click image for larger version

Name:	d3e54438cb15eac652638b324a17174e.jpg
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	7484Click image for larger version

Name:	218517e25bc273c5b3ff1a5983c30039.jpg
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	7485Click image for larger version

Name:	19bc0ff72c43bd8ea7f63bd88cbea2ce.jpg
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	7486

I remember having this conversation standing around a bonfire once when someone tossed a box of .22 caliber shells on the coals just to see what happened. The shells went off while we all danced, hooted and hollered. Going on the theory that without a barrel to travel through, the bullet is harmless. Only the gunpowder in the shell burns and there is no projectile.

Was this foolish behavior?
        bill, i'm no gun expert, but i have some first hand knowledge of what you asked

the bullet/ slug will not be as strong as coming out of a chamber. but i wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of it since the shell is not contained in the barrel, the shell will go 1 direction and the slug the other. still with plenty of force to easily kill you. scary part is the slug will tumble and tear you up as it is not necessarily going to be a through and through wound.

like i said, i'm no expert, but physics are physics. for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction
        or something like that

rick
        phoebe it is

Comment

As expensive and rare as ammunition is these days I hope you recovered them. You could put them on E-Bay and make a fortune!

If they are 9mm, send them to me, I'm just about out.
          www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Originally posted by Trent2 View Post
            As expensive and rare as ammunition is these days I hope you recovered them. You could put them on E-Bay and make a fortune!

If they are 9mm, send them to me, I'm just about out.
            Trent supplier here in Salem. $50.00 a box for 50 shells

Comment

50 dollars a box I havent been paying attention to ammo prices.

Josh
              Last edited by Josh; 07-09-2009, 02:39 PM.

Comment

in a fire the shell casing is more likely to hit some one than the bullet,

do to the factors that there is no barrel so it can utilize the contained burn to build velocity and that there are two parts moving, bullet and casing the lethal possibilities are greatly lessened

you would really have had a tough time hitting correctly to make them go off with a snake.
                even a rim fire 22 would not be that easily hit in such a way as to make it fire,
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Yea, I didn't think the bullet in the trap was a threat but my helper refused to stand over the drain while I punched the camera through

So how far would a shell casing fly in a fire? 5 feet?, 10'?, 100'?

I wonder if Myth Busters has tried this?

Comment

I really do not have any practical experience in this area,
                    I know a few years before I was in High school and the shop still had the forge I guess it was the thing to do in shop class to throw a hand full of 22's in the forge, and I never heard of any one getting hurt, they said it sounded like fire crackers going off,
                    (I know more were hurt by the man hole cover being left off the sewer after noon hr, I heard of a few walking into it, (part of being a freshman was to be stuff down the sewer man hole in the front lawn of the building),
                    one of the the other items was to be tied to a tree by the garden hoses used for watering the lawn, there were usually volunteers for this tho, as the class after lunch was history, the history room had a view of the front lawn of school and he would ask where XXXXX was and no one seem to know or they would say I saw him or her at lunch, and he would usually in the first few Min's, walk over to the windows and look out and say there is XXXX you two guys go down and untie him, and so they would run out and unwind the hose off the tree and the person and all come back as Innocent as can be, and 5 to 10 mins of class wasted,
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by DanLawrence View Post
                      Trent supplier here in Salem. $50.00 a box for 50 shells
                      Is that for 9mm? Holy cow that's highway robery. You could get a box of 9mm for about 11 or 12 bucks, 9 if you got the aluminum casings.

I was paying 50 bucks for a box of .41 mags but that's an oddball size.
                      www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Working...
                      X