Locate Copper Line in sand

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locate Copper Line in sand

Does anyone have any tips on how to get my transmitter to send a signal on a copper pipe buried in sand. I'm assuming it is because I'm not getting a good enough ground. I drove a form pin down about 30" and drenched the area but still cant pick up a signal. Maybe you cant locate in sand? I'm using a navitrack locator and transmitter.

Scott

Re: Locate Copper Line in sand

Try wetting a large area where you guess the line to be.

J.C.

Comment

Thanks JC, I will try that tommorow.

Scott

Comment

My jackhammer finds Em EZ, Also My Back Hoe
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Place a bottle of bottled water upright on the ground(not spilling it out) and put your pin in the bottle of water.

My buddy swears by this method, say's he gets a better signal and does it this way even when he can get a good ground.
          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Thanks Guys, I've tried all of your suggestions and still cant pick up a signal. I know approx where the copper is because I installed it. There isnt even a problem with the line I am just trying to teach myself how to use the active trace with out a customer looking over my shoulder. I turn down alot of slab leaks. I have located and fixed quite a few "caveman" style but I want to offer a more professional service so I bought the transmitter to trace the line and was planning on trying the Metrotech 5000 to pinpoint the leak. We have located the sonde on the camera many times with unbelievable accuracy and used the transmitter to trace the water main at my shop, so I know the equipment works but the house I'm using for practice is built on very sandy soil and I guess thats the problem. Anyway I put in a call to Ridgid and they are going to have there Rep come over and help me out. Thanks again.

Scott

Comment

i'm only a few hour flight away.

i know a fews days of working on this and i'll have it wired

friday through monday should work

ben, you're from hawaii, want to show me the way

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

I was so frustrated this morning I might have taken you up on the offer! I'm all settled down now and think I will wait for the Rep.

Rik, I have no doubt you could get it "wired" and still have plenty beach time.

Scott

Comment

Sandy soil can be difficult because it does not carry a current very well. Try using a high frequency, like 200kHz. Higher frequencies travel better through poor conductors (like sand). The trade off is that it is more likely to bleed onto another line. You might want to also try inducing a signal onto the line to see if you get better results.

In order to get a good signal when doing an active trace you need the current to flow down the line and then return to the transmitter. The sandy soil is not allowing the signal to return to the transmitter. One trick that I have seen is instead of using a ground rod, connect a copper wire to the far end of the line you are trying to locate, at a valve or meter for example, and connect the other end to your transmitter lead. Clip the other transmitter lead to the target line. The copper wire will serve as the return path to the transmitter and take the soil out of the circuit. Of course you will have to have access to the far end to do this, but it does work if you can do it.

Comment

Working...
                  X