X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locating Contest #2: LOCATE PRODUCTIVITY – Your Chance to Win RIDGID Tools

This is your opportunity to be rewarded for your pipe, cable, or sonde locating skills. Tell the RIDGID Forum howRIDGID locators have increased your productivity by saving time or money for your chance to win a RIDGID Hand Tool Kit valued at over $200. How is your job easier using a RIDGID locator? How has your productivity and efficiency improved? Tell your story for your chance to win. Reply to this thread by Aug 7th to enter. RIDGID will select three finalists and the RIDGID Forum members will vote on the winner.

Winner will receive a RIDGID Hand Tool Kit (cat: 20243)
    Two Runner Ups will receive a RIDGID Fleece

Enter by Aug 7th and Check back after Aug 11th to place your vote for the winner. The winners will be announced on the RIDGID Forum on Aug 19th, 2009.

Good Luck!!!

-RIDGID Marketing

Details: You must be registered on the RIDGID forum to enter. If you are not already registered you can do so here. To enter, reply to this thread on or before August 7, 2009. Any new threads in this or another RIDGID forum will not be considered. Three finalists will be selected by RIDGID based on creativity, technical accuracy, and productivity improvement. The forum will select one winner from the three finalists via an online poll. Winner will be notified via private message on the RIDGID Forum and will receive one RIDGID Hand Tool Kit (20243). The other two finalists will receive a RIDGID Fleece. If the winner or finalists do not respond within 30 days, prizes are forfeited and RIDGID may select a new winner. See the Locate Impossible contest thread for another chance to win.
    Attached Files

Re: Locating Contest #2: LOCATE PRODUCTIVITY – Your Chance to Win RIDGID Tools

I can tell you that the 512 Hz transmitter inside the SeeSnake has saved me lots of head aches. I get a lot of commercial properties where they buried the clean outs under carpeting, tile or even equipment. So I run the camera through the line to pinpoint the clean outs. But if the line is holding water (which in many cases they are) I still use it for the transmitter to locate precisely where the line is running. This way I can only hope that the contractor that laid the building drain followed the Illinois plumbing code of putting a clean out every 50' and at each major change of direction. In that case even if I do not find any clean outs I know where the 4" cast iron line runs and can disturb that area to install a proper clean out.

So with how I use these locaters, you can see how it makes me more productive by eliminating unnecessary digging as well as mapping out the proper run of the building drains and sewers.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

The RIDGID Navitrack has helped me on the job to not only save time and money but also provide higher quality service to the customer.

I had a client with a basement remodel that was looking to put in a full bathroom. The first step with any job is to understand the layout, explain my plans to the customer and be able to provide a quote quickly to stay on top of other business.

The client expressed great concern over the tear up of their existing partially finished basement. Interestingly enough, I was told that my competition didn’t even use a locator to find the existing lines to be able to give an accurate assessment of the amount of ground work.

Based off of the customers’ layout for their new bath, I used the RIDGID Navitrack to locate the existing lines, drew a schematic of the expected work and then quoted the job. The customer was so impressed with the tools that I used to assess the job and my timeliness that I got the job on the spot.

Locating tools are necessary for me to be able to accurately provide quotes, ultimately saving me time and being more efficient. RIDGID locators have been the product of choice for my team!
      Help me make Wishes Come True!
      Support the Make-A-Wish Foundation

Comment

How have Ridgid Locators helped us in our small business?

1) Safety.
        2) Accuracy.
        3) Speed.

Safety: We're a small Septic & Plumbing Contracting company that has to excavate in some way every week. I've been in the ditches myself when unmarked or incorrectly marked utilities by others were struck and damaged with a backhoe, excavator, etc. It's no fun seeing the breaker fly off of a power pole or the sound & familiar smell of a Natural Gas line in your close proximity.

With the Ridgid Seektech SR-20, ST-305 transmitter, and Inductive Clamp I now find utilities, confirm markings, and reconfirm them as excavation is occurring. This greatly decreases the likelihood of a "utility strike" making it safer for everyone involved. The increase in safety transfers directly into an increase in productivity & efficiency by keeping the job moving and everyone safer.

Accuracy: The accuracy of the Ridgid Seektech SR-20 line is great also. There are 4 visual confirmation guides along with audio to help center you over the signal you're working with. That's multiple confirmations in agreement to give you the utmost accuracy. There's little time to fiddle around with false readings on the job. Time equals money. And the accuracy of the Ridgid Seektech line saves time.

Speed: On many jobs the price to the end customer is set in contract. So, in short, we're "Under the Gun to Get it Done" to keep profit up. The Ridgid Seektech equipment allows us or anyone else to get the job you've quoted completed faster which transfers into an increase in the bottom line. We also gain a competitive advantage in layout & bidding having knowledge of the underground layout.

In short, the Ridgid Seektech equipment helps us to be safer, more accurate, and faster.
        This transfers directly into more profit for our small company or anyone elses.

J.C.

Pic. 1 Typical excavation equipment we use.
        Pic. 2 Shows the signal strength with the transmitter attached to a private LP gas line that no local utility company will locate. In my area for things such as this, you're on your own to guess and dig or locate.
        Pic. 3 Shows the actual LP line located quickly, accurately, and safely.
        Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 01-18-2010, 11:41 PM.

Comment

going back to the old days when ridgid was not in the camera or locator business.

started with goldak equipment in the early 80's. back then we didn't have 512 hz. for cast iron and we didn't have cameras.
          but i was determined to locate sewers and find pipes.

as long as it was plastic or clay i was fine. but when it was cast iron i was lost. show up and can't locate was a waste of my time and my money.

then cameras came out but not with sondes. still had to use a tape on sonde that was not capable of locating cast iron. even though i couldn't locate cast, i was able to see the pipe and determine what i was in and when i could locate.

then came ridgid

ridgid and deepsee paired up to expand the seesnake line of cameras and transmitters. although the early receivers were not as sophisticated as they are today they still gave me the advantage that allowed me to find the pipe and compute the depth.

other companies would hire me since they didn't own this equipment.
          over the years i've managed to build up an arsenal of locating equipment. as the technology has improved so has my productivity

today i can do jobs that just 25 years ago was unheard of.

what do i see down the road

i see the ability to be able to camera pvc pool piping and be able to accurately locate the spot i'm looking at.

believe it or not, this is actually avaliable now. with the microdrain and new built in camera sonde, we now can see and locate what use to be impossible. the new monitors that allow us to energize the camera push rod. this allows us to trace the entire line and still be able to locate the camera head independently.

so as you can see, camera and locaters have come a long way over the last 15 years. by keeping up with the advancements in this technology, i've been able to stay at the top of the pack and continue to offer my customers the best tools to get it done

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Does anyone make a unit that works with a laptop computer and GPS?

This might sound out there but what if you could set up your laptop at a fixed location (determined by your GPS equipped laptop), then as you run your camera with sonde through the line it calculates distance (thats already done now) AND direction? As you push the camera further into the line and when you put these two components with a little software it can be mapped out on the computer screen. It could even be overlaid on Google Maps or similar overhead satellite view of the property.

You'd need some smart software to calculate the sonde position based on distance and direction changes, more or less dead reckoning from a known position, but I don't think it is impossible. After all, we got to the Moon (and back) with nothing more than a Commodore 64.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

since i got our sr-20 and transmitter, we have been able to knockout sewers with ease. it really used to be a guessing game in all honesty!!! every sewer replacement or cleanout or backwater valve i sell is done with ease. i show up before the excavator and camera and locate the line to determine where it runs, any bellies or tie ins. now when i sell a backwater valve, i can camera and locate the area with ease. i have gotten so good with the equipment that its almost 2nd nature to me. my ridgid seesnake and sr20 and trans. have made us more efficient which means the company makes more money!!!!!!! being able to pinpoint depth also makes it much easier on us

Comment

OK, here's one story that comes to mind with direct relevance to productivity.

Developer has laid out lots and put in utilities, including sewer services to each lot. Lot in question has sold about 2 yrs later by which time the sewer service got buried and lost. Builder calls me in. He's spent two days on a trackhoe and operator scratching around trying to find the service line and failed. He's got 2 days of equipment and operator time lost, as well as the whole project delayed as the elevation of the service line determines how the house has to sit.

I show up, push my see snake mini up the main from a manhole, make the bend into the saddle for the service (with the aid of the soon to be patented ~$27 Ace Sewer Lateral Launch System for Cheap People) and push 'til I see duct tape. Locate, expose line, and builder can put his people back to productive work in under 1 hr.
                Last edited by Ace Sewer; 08-25-2009, 11:41 PM.
                This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                  OK, here's one story that comes to mind with direct relevance to productivity.

Developer has laid out lots and put in utilities, including sewer services to each lot. Lot in question has sold about 2 yrs later by which time the sewer service got buried and lost. Builder calls me in. He's spent two days on a trackhoe and operator scratching around trying to find the service line and failed. He's got 2 days of equipment and operator time lost, as well as the whole project delayed as the elevation of the service line determines how the house has to sit.

I show up, push my see snake mini up the main from a manhole, make the bend into the saddle for the service (with the aid of the soon to be patented ~$27 Ace Sewer Lateral Launch System for Cheap People) and push 'til I see duct tape. Locate, expose line, and builder can put his people back to productive work in under 1 hr.
                  Tell me more about this ASLLSCP device

Comment

asllscp;

a bunch of short sections of 1 1/2" pvc with a 45 or a 90 stuck on the end and a bunch of ferncos. Camera up until you see the service to get your distance, mark your pushrod (I use electrical tape), pull out, lay out the pushrod on the ground, string the 1 1/2" pieces (cut just short enough that they will fit up the main from the manhole) on the pushrod loose with a fernco between each section, put a camera ball on the end so they are trapped and you cant lose any, push the works up the main section by section and fernco them together as you go. get to the service and the bend on the end will point you right into it.

not often I have to do it, just in rare situations where there is no other way into the line. works real nice for snake cable and jetter hose too. I've done it from manholes up to about 25' away fron the service.
                    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Working...
                    X