Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking out all the toys to get it done.

yesterday i had an interesting job that required an assortment of my ridgid toys to get r done

a large complex with a water fall had a leaf strainer sucked into the 8'' pvc suction line. problem was they were not sure if it had been sucked in or was missing as there are 12 of theses strainer baskets used to catch debris.

the water fall was drained to help access the submerged 8'' line that ran approx. 70' to the underground pump vault.

started with my full size seesnake and pushed in 62' but stopped approx 4' short of the vault in a 90 turned up. couldn't tell if the 90 turned up was keeping me from going or if the large size of the pipe caused a slinky affect and i couldn't push any farther.

so then i decided to pull the 10hp pump off the volute. this being a 8' underground and in a tight area required a come along and some 4x4 to span the opening.

then i used my micro explorer to look inside through the pump body. only had 3' and no extensions so i broke out the microdrain and was super impressed with the lighting and image quality.

i managed to push it in past the 8'' butterfly valve and into the line where i found the basket lodged in the 8'' 90. took plenty of photos and will add them once i get them transferred to my computer

used my 1.25'' cable with retriever to try and hook the basket while using the micro to monitor my attempts. couldn't grab it and just push it back 10' into the line.

so now i go back to my original skimmer location 62' away.

break out the k-60 impressionator. push that in with my custom reverse auger and use my seesnake to monitor my progress. at this point the line is murky with water and leafs. i'm trying to watch on my monitor while snaking in reverse to hook the wire basket.

success and now i have to pull it back out the 62' without loosing it.

no problem as the reverse auger managed to wind it 12' onto the cable and stop at my next coupling.

here are the photos from my land camera. i'll post the microdrain and seesnake images when i get them loaded

not my typical job, but a fun and challenging job.

rick.

my catch. 1 of 12 baskets used to strain the debris in the waterfall skimmer. the 7/8'' sectional cable with my reverse auger grabbed the basket and threaded itself into the 1/4'' mesh 12' to the coupler.

closeup of the reverse auger. the next section of ridgid innercore is at the bottom of the basket.

micro explorer and microdrain used to access the pump and 8''piping. the microdrain lit up the pipe and took great photos i'll post later.

working the k-60 with my reverse auger and assisted by the seesnake to lock onto the basket. standing on the 2-8'' pvc lines.

catch of the day while my seesnake looks on

rigging up the 10hp. pump to allow for access to the pvc line.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 07-21-2009, 10:21 AM.
    phoebe it is

Re: Breaking out all the toys to get it done.

Great post! Love the pics. I have started to ask myself though... how many people has Rick asked to take picture of him on the job. Takes a friendly personality like you to get so many people to help you document a job in the detail you do.

Great work and a great story. Looking forward to the in pipe pics.

Josh

Comment

funny part was the cameraman is actuly the property engineer and was hands on with the project.

he is getting a new pump gasket today to reinstall the pump and fill up the system.

lots of different media to upload.

micro explorer and seesnake photos to sort through.

this would have been a good one to use my helmet cam on

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Great Pictures Rick!!

I used to rebuild pumps like that

I always love seeing all the COOL RIDGID TOOLS in use !!

Thanks for ANOTHER great post !!
        Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
        New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Good catch there,
          I enjoy seeing the work you do and accomplish, thanks for the pictures and the posts.
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Fantastic Photos Rick.
            Using the K60 AGAIN.
            Cheers
            greg

Comment

got to play with my new microexplorer too and teamed up with the microdrain, it's a win, win duo.

the great part was total portability and self powered. remember i was in a vault underground and the last thing i wanted to do was drag more equipment into the underground vault.

the microexplorer was best with the color microdrain camera attached. it gave me a much better view in the line than the microexplorer 3' standard camera head.

here are some follow up shots of the basket viewed from accessing through the inside of the pump.

the more toys, the more options

rick.

strainer lodged in the 8'' pvc pipe approx. 8' prior to the pump. photo taken by with the microexplorer(me) and microdrain (md)

attempt at retrieval with 1.25'' sectional and auger. pushed it out towards the skimmer. photos by md and me.

2'' pvc pipe with gunk. photo by microexplorer (me)

2'' pvc after hitting with probe to break it up. photo by me.

2'' after jetting. lots of glue and primer at 90. photo by me.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 07-22-2009, 12:24 AM.
              phoebe it is

Comment

This is a neat picture!!!

Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV

Comment

did i forget to tell you that ridgid tools are your key to success

rick.

Attached Files
                  phoebe it is

Comment

OK = You officially have everything Ridgid

But - You're right Ridgid Rocks.

I know for all the years I used there tools and the ones I still use today they never let me down like the cheapo's or other brands.

Comment

Sweet.

Dont you love it when a plan comes together?

To me, resolving problems like that is the most satisfying part of what we do.
                      Last edited by HebertDrainCare; 07-22-2009, 10:59 AM.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Hey Rick:

Didja see much pocket change in the piping? Last one of these I did was at a shopping complex where lots of people pitched coins into the pool while they made their wish...there were HUNDREDS of coins in the large diameter pipes that ran flat back to the pump stuff.

The maint. staff collected the ones that made it through to the strainer baskets and donated them to some charity.

Comment

If Rick was serious about Ridgid tools the way he says he is, he should get a tatoo with a Ridgid theme.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Mini Cutter Tramp Stamp.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Vance G View Post
                              Hey Rick:

Didja see much pocket change in the piping? Last one of these I did was at a shopping complex where lots of people pitched coins into the pool while they made their wish...there were HUNDREDS of coins in the large diameter pipes that ran flat back to the pump stuff.

The maint. staff collected the ones that made it through to the strainer baskets and donated them to some charity.
                              not even a dime

this is a private community with a guard gate. not too many kids making wishes.

the pond was drained 90% by the time i got there. maybe the maintenance men made 50 cents

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X