X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crt/vcr vs. Lcd/dvd

I was think about another See Snake. The LCD DVD look sexy, but the posts leave a bad taste. Love my VCR no issue. The dealer said he had never heard of these issue. Would anybody buy their dvd lcd again?

Re: Crt/vcr vs. Lcd/dvd

just did

look at the new dvd base/ dvd pack

it's a sony base dvd recorder and is as simple as it gets. will run on a 18 volt lithium battery or 120.

ultra small and compact. built to withstand the elements.

this new unit is the ultimate in portable lcd/ oled, dvd recorder, monitor.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Lately I've been recording to vhs that came with my camera, transferring to dvd at home, and mailing the dvd in a bubble mailer with 5 stamps.

I have a dvddirect in a pelican case (not the DVDPAK) but I started getting "failure" messages 5 to 10 minutes into recording. It just started when summer hit. I dont know if its a overheating problem or whats up. DVD's are in a case, in good shape and handled with clean hands.

Anybody else experience problems with dvddirect or recording to dvd in general?

The crt/vcr is heavy but is proving to be more reliable for me.

Problem I have is Katrina flooded all the vcr's so everbody replaced their vcr's with dvd players. People look at me funny with my vhs tape, until I tell them I'll send them a dvd copy.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

If you don't need to record, the lcd pak rocks. So small and light, and the big screen is nice for doing fiddly work like snagging an object. There are record options in the works for this I am sure, or add the third party recording solution of your choice via the vid out.

I've had so many vcr probs I've flat given up. The last tape the thing ate is still in there.
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Rick what did that cost? Where did you get it. If you dont mind me asking.

Comment

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
            Lately I've been recording to vhs that came with my camera, transferring to dvd at home, and mailing the dvd in a bubble mailer with 5 stamps.

I have a dvddirect in a pelican case (not the DVDPAK) but I started getting "failure" messages 5 to 10 minutes into recording. It just started when summer hit. I dont know if its a overheating problem or whats up. DVD's are in a case, in good shape and handled with clean hands.

Anybody else experience problems with dvddirect or recording to dvd in general?

The crt/vcr is heavy but is proving to be more reliable for me.

Problem I have is Katrina flooded all the vcr's so everbody replaced their vcr's with dvd players. People look at me funny with my vhs tape, until I tell them I'll send them a dvd copy.
            Lenny:

Before you give up, go buy a different brand of DVD-R's. I have had at least one instance of a whole factory batch of them flaky.

Changing brands cleared it right up.

Have you tried one of those CD/DVD lens cleaner discs that you load up into the drive? I personaly prefer to tear the drive apart and clean optics and mechanical parts manually, but if that's something you don't want to tackle, I have heard from others that these actually work.

No harm, no foul as the saying goes...

Comment

Originally posted by DANE View Post
              Rick what did that cost? Where did you get it. If you dont mind me asking.

i purchased it at our phcc trade show a months back. i believe it was a show special of 20% off. don't quote me as i can be wrong

it's probably a week or 2 away from my hands

but i did get to play with it and the inner recorder i'm very familiar with

i'll be retiring my color too case monitor vcr when this shows up

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

absolutely dane.
                I look after my equipment and up until a month ago it was still in its original box ( cardboard) whenever i transported it.
                I carry a small poly tarp/sheet to lay over the top of it when the weather is not good.
                look after it and it should? look after you

Comment

Ridgid couldn't cut you a better deal Rick? After all you are one of stars in their promotional video.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I'm kicking myself for not going to the show. It would be nice to see all this stuff before you make choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Vance G View Post
                      Lenny:

Before you give up, go buy a different brand of DVD-R's. I have had at least one instance of a whole factory batch of them flaky.

Changing brands cleared it right up.

Have you tried one of those CD/DVD lens cleaner discs that you load up into the drive? I personaly prefer to tear the drive apart and clean optics and mechanical parts manually, but if that's something you don't want to tackle, I have heard from others that these actually work.

No harm, no foul as the saying goes...
                      Switching brands could definitely help, discs and burners are theoretically built to standard specs, though keep in mind there's DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-R DL, DVD+R DL , DVD+/-RW, DVD RAM, and a whole other bunch of more obscure formats that really aren't worth knowing. Supposedly all burners can handle the major formats, though sometimes it just doesn't work like it should.

Breaking it down and cleaning the optics, or using a cleaner kit is also a great idea. If you have a choice, look for products that are methanol based. An optics guy I used to work with said that it's the safest for coated lenses, and evaporates the quickest. Use camera lens paper as that will be the least likely to scratch optical grade glass.

Another problem with optical recording systems I've seen and can't really do much about happens when carriage that the lens travels on gets stuck, or hangs on can't move past a certain part of the rail for some reason. This can possibly happen after a drop or hard impact, though it sounds like you care for your equipment well so I don't think it's likely.

Comment

Considering buying a new cam. Honestly it seems to me Ridgid is lagging a bit in their technology. Why is the latest and greatest a DVD pack...shouldn't we be into digital recording on a hard drive by now. I really like the durability of the SeeSnakes but am considering going in another direction because I'd rather not deal with the DVD (too many issues as posted in this forum).

Is there plans for a hard drive in the works with a card reader and USB port?

Why is all the hype around the new DVD pack when its practically an outdated and definetly unstable platform?

I don't mind paying for quality but I don't want to buy something that's unstable and on its way out either.

Comment

Originally posted by wathman View Post
                          Switching brands could definitely help, discs and burners are theoretically built to standard specs, though keep in mind there's DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-R DL, DVD+R DL , DVD+/-RW, DVD RAM, and a whole other bunch of more obscure formats that really aren't worth knowing. Supposedly all burners can handle the major formats, though sometimes it just doesn't work like it should.

Breaking it down and cleaning the optics, or using a cleaner kit is also a great idea. If you have a choice, look for products that are methanol based. An optics guy I used to work with said that it's the safest for coated lenses, and evaporates the quickest. Use camera lens paper as that will be the least likely to scratch optical grade glass.

Another problem with optical recording systems I've seen and can't really do much about happens when carriage that the lens travels on gets stuck, or hangs on can't move past a certain part of the rail for some reason. This can possibly happen after a drop or hard impact, though it sounds like you care for your equipment well so I don't think it's likely.
                          Its cushioned snug in a pelican case but of course the case gets bumped and dragged, nature of the work.

The blank dvd discs i use are the same I use for other media storage and they work fine. I'm going to try the lens cleaner and try a different brand and type of dvd just in case.

Originally posted by youngsplumbing View Post
                          Considering buying a new cam. Honestly it seems to me Ridgid is lagging a bit in their technology. Why is the latest and greatest a DVD pack...shouldn't we be into digital recording on a hard drive by now. I really like the durability of the SeeSnakes but am considering going in another direction because I'd rather not deal with the DVD (too many issues as posted in this forum).

Is there plans for a hard drive in the works with a card reader and USB port?

Why is all the hype around the new DVD pack when its practically an outdated and definetly unstable platform?

I don't mind paying for quality but I don't want to buy something that's unstable and on its way out either.
                          I think my next monitor will be a LCD PAK for the reasons Ace Sewer mentioned. I'll probably change my mind before I'm ready to buy. I've been looking recently at Archos for recording.

Its good that we have a few different models to choose from. We have a local ridgid repair center here. The two biggest video inspection only companies here use ridgid seesnakes. One told me he's used most other kinds of cameras but had the most success with ridgid. Its nice to know I can get it fixed locally instead of sending it off if it breaks.

Plus if it breaks I have a place to come whine.
                          Last edited by HebertDrainCare; 07-24-2009, 10:25 AM. Reason: only

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Working...
                          X