X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sea snake DVD won't play

Had a local plumber check a line for me and record a DVD.He played it back on his Sea snake before he left and it worked fine.I tried it on my DVD player and it won't play.Tried it on my computers and it won't play.Called him and he came over and popped it in his machine and it worked.What gives?Is there something he did wrong when he recorded it on the DVD so that it won't read on any other DVD player.He recently got the machine and was not completely familiar with it.I gave him the DVD back in hopes he can figure it out, but I'm not holding my breath. thanks

Re: Sea snake DVD won't play

Get it back from him, take it to Best Buy and try it in all the players there.

You might have tried to play it in a couple things that just won't (yep, they exist...).

Comment

Originally posted by newyota View Post
      Had a local plumber check a line for me and record a DVD.He played it back on his Sea snake before he left and it worked fine.I tried it on my DVD player and it won't play.Tried it on my computers and it won't play.Called him and he came over and popped it in his machine and it worked.What gives?Is there something he did wrong when he recorded it on the DVD so that it won't read on any other DVD player.He recently got the machine and was not completely familiar with it.I gave him the DVD back in hopes he can figure it out, but I'm not holding my breath. thanks
      Did he finalize the DVD he just recorded to on his seesnake recorder he gave you as it will only play on his seesnake and nowhere else.

Tony

Comment

That would be my guess too. Until he closes the disc, it won't read on any other machine except the one that started the burning session. He needs to make sure they are closed when he hands them out, or switch to DVD-RW media.

Comment

The disc has to be finalized or it will only play on the machine that recorded it. Have him check the disc menu for a finalize option.when I first started with DVD I handed out a few of those too.

Comment

thanks for the responses.I did give hime the disk back to him last week.I do not think he knows about the finalize option.Can he still do this if he puts the DVD back in the machine?

Comment

thanks for the responses.I did give hime the disk back to him last week.I do not think he knows about the finalize option.Can he still do this if he puts the DVD back in the machine?
              Not sure ask the forum masters RICK or JOSH

Tony

Comment

Holy moly! You mean that the option to NOT finalize a disc is available on the RIDGID recorders?

No wonder you are having problems.

I would have thought that in a "one trick pony" situation such as the one where you include a DVD recordable drive in a sewer video inspection package this function would be disabled to avoid gotchas such as this...

Or are we talking about the Sony device?

To answer the question about closing it in the drive that created it, that should be possible.

Comment

I can go back and finalize a dvd after removing it from the recorder. Mine isn't ridgid but I don't see why u couldn't do it on any other device the info is on the disc it just won't play on another player till finalized.

Comment

Hi! Since I work with Josh and have become quite knowledgeable on these products, I figured I could try to help answer this question. Depending on the machine they have, if you're talking DVDBase, the burner is a Sony DVD Recorder. In the menu, there should be a choice to finalize the disk.

Yes, there are older DVD players out there that won't play even closed discs (my daughter has one like that).

Please PM me if you have any additional questions.

Cathy
                    Assistant to Josh

Learnat least one NEWtopic daily!

Comment

thanks again.I called the plumber back and told him about the info I got here on the site.he said someone was comeing to his place to help hime figure it out, but from what I relayed to him he should have been able to figure it out.His teenage son could probably figure it out easily for him if he is that baffled by it.Have not heard back from him.Maybe never will?

Comment

What gives?Is there something he did wrong when he recorded it on the DVD so that it won't read on any other DVD player.He recently got the machine and was not completely familiar with it.I gave him the DVD back in hopes he can figure it out, but I'm not holding my breath. thanks
                        In all likelihood the machine prompted him to finalize the disk when he hit the Eject button, so I suspect that it's finalized. If it's not, he can certainly finalize at a later time. Occasionally, a disk may record just fine, but when trying to finalize the recorder may display a disk error message. In those cases the disk would still play in the recorder that made the disk, but not in anything else.

It's pretty random, it just seems that some recorders and DVD players are sensitive to the brand of disk being used. Sometimes you have a brand that works well, but then doesn't the next time you buy it. But as long as it plays on his unit you'll be able to recover the video that was recorded. If lack of finalizing is not the issue, you have two options that have worked for me:

1. Get the video files off the disk using a data recovery program on your PC. I can't remember which program I used, so you'll have to do a Google search.

2. Play the DVD on the recorder that made the disk and record it onto another unit.

Comment

thanks again.I called the plumber back and told him about the info I got here on the site.he said someone was comeing to his place to help hime figure it out, but from what I relayed to him he should have been able to figure it out.His teenage son could probably figure it out easily for him if he is that baffled by it.Have not heard back from him.Maybe never will?
                          Any verdict yet..

Are those Crickets?

Comment

Finally!!I got the DVD back today in the mail and tried it in my DVD player and it worked.Guess he figured it out.Tonight might be movie night?Get the popcorn ready.Made my 14 year old daughter watch it.Amazing what a pi$$ poor plumbing job was done when this house was built when they installed the toilet in the basement to a "T" from the upstairs heading out the foundation ....!!Of course this all under concrete.Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
                            X