X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED problem with Micro Explorer

Hi everyone, just got a Micro Explorer a few weeks ago even though I've used it a couple of times, it's already saved me tons of time. (No, I'm not a plumber, I use it more for installing data cabling in ceilings and walls.)

I did experience a problem that I wanted to see if anyone else has seen...

While using the unit (for the first time) to look inside a ceiling cavity, the display would randomly lock up and the hour glass would appear for maybe 5 or 10 seconds. Once the unit "unlocked" itself, the LED would be off and I could turn it back on again and continue my viewing. This kept happening from time to time with no warning but I continued to work through the inconvenience so I could finish the job.

It happened a few more times during the second job so obviously I knew I had to deal with a warranty replacement/repair.

Yesterday, I decided to play around with the unit (outside of any walls/ceilings) to see if I could make it lock up again but wasn't able to duplicate the issue. What I did notice, however, is that one of the four LEDs at the camera head is not illuminating at all.

Has anyone else had an LED burn out yet or am I one of the lucky ones? Also, could the failing LED cause the unit to lock up as I described above? My guess is that the bad LED, while it was in the process of dying, made the unit lock up and now that it's burned out, the unit doesn't lock anymore but obviously needs to be fixed.

As much as I love the tool, I'm a little surprised that it failed pretty much the first time I used it. Hopefully this isn't a sign of what to expect for the future!

Re: LED problem with Micro Explorer

Sorry to hear about your problems

My first Explorer did the same thing for a few weeks. I didn't have the LED light go out though. Finally it locked up and when I went to restart it gave me an error message. It wasn't the imaging head because I swapped that out with a good one and still same problem.

I would first try to update the firmware. If that doesn't work you will have to take it to a service center.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
      Sorry to hear about your problems

My first Explorer did the same thing for a few weeks. I didn't have the LED light go out though. Finally it locked up and when I went to restart it gave me an error message. It wasn't the imaging head because I swapped that out with a good one and still same problem.

I would first try to update the firmware. If that doesn't work you will have to take it to a service center.
      My Micro Explorer has a similar problem, when I power it up the LEDs are off, when I press the pad to turn them up they flash on then an hour glass shows then the LEDs turn off. I would not mind updating the firmware, but I need a link to it please.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Never mind the link for the firmware upgrade, I found it. So I am running 2.30 now, and I am still having issues with the LED lighting working.
        OK I turned the unit on and off a dozen times thinking magically it would start to work. Well it did I got the hour glass again then ended up with an error code 4 and it put me in playback mode. When I switched back to the camera mode, I was able to adjust the LED brightness once again.
        Last edited by SewerRatz; 10-04-2009, 12:12 PM.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Working...
        X