Camera with a laptop....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camera with a laptop....

I'm getting into more work where a camera would come in handy. So I did a search in this forum and the info I found was about a year old.

What is the feasability of using a laptop for the monitor and recorder?

Laptops are pretty cheap now and you could eliminate a step from the process if you needed to e-mail the video. Plus you would have the option of dropping it on a disk or jump drive.

This would sure take the financial sting out of getting into a camera system.
    www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Re: Camera with a laptop....

Originally posted by Trent2 View Post
    I'm getting into more work where a camera would come in handy. So I did a search in this forum and the info I found was about a year old.

What is the feasability of using a laptop for the monitor and recorder?

Laptops are pretty cheap now and you could eliminate a step from the process if you needed to e-mail the video. Plus you would have the option of dropping it on a disk or jump drive.

This would sure take the financial sting out of getting into a camera system.
    The nice thing about a SeeSnake camera system is it is a three wire system. Positive, ground, and video out. All you need to do is send the power to the camera, and use the video wire along with the ground wire to a composite video connector and connect it to the video capture device of your choice.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
      The nice thing about a SeeSnake camera system is it is a three wire system. Positive, ground, and video out. All you need to do is send the power to the camera, and use the video wire along with the ground wire to a composite video connector and connect it to the video capture device of your choice.
      Hmmmmmmm You got my old grears in my head rolling.
      So the See Snake can be hooked up to a lap top
      would on screen Distance counter still work
      I bet there not standard 1/4 inch RCA jacks that would be to easy.
      Notice Sewer camera ads never show how there hooked up.
      Wow If I could buy a See Snake with my own lap top as a monitor it makes buying one possible
      Rod
      MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
      Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
      http://unclognh.com
      http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

guys, this has been discussed in many older threads.

the key ingredient is the power supply.

1 wrong move and your camera is toast. plus you need to be able to control the transmitter.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I've been using this device for about a year now with my laptop.

http://www.altoedge.com/usbcapture/index.html

USB interface to my laptop. Has RCA and S-Video to connect to the video out on the SeeSnake.

A few drawbacks:
          more wires
          a slight delay (about 2 sec.) when moving the camera head and the image on the screen. Not a big deal really but kinda wierd
          slight reduction in image quality
          needs a multimedia laptop that can handle the graphics without crashing

lots of pluses:
          hand the jumpdrive or SD card right to the customer when done
          burn a DVD right on site
          email or YouTube to others offsite
          No oversized monitor and recording device floating around on the truck
          Last edited by plumberscrack; 09-06-2009, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

1 wrong move and your camera is toast. plus you need to be able to control the transmitter.

rick.
            You are correct there has been other threads on this subject http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...e+power+supply

About controlling the transmitter, I have two of the older pre-Ridgid SeeSnakes, one with the old ProtoTek always on transmitter, and the other with the new on/off flexmitter. Both with the old school B/W SeeSnake security monitors. To turn on and off the Flexmitter , I just need to turn the monitor off for a second and back on to turn on the flexmitter and to turn it off I just turn off the power for 3 seconds and turn it back on.

I have been working on a proprietary computer/sewer monitor system. Basically it will be a suitcase style monitor with a keyboard, LCD screen, and a computer built by me with th software flashed onto a EEPROM,solid state hard drive, and a spot to plug in the interface for the type of camera you are using. This way no matter what camera system you own you just buy the unit with the interface you need for your camera and you are ready to record.

And what I mean by proprietary is that there is no programing needed by the end user. Also there is no way to program the unit by the end user.
            Last edited by SewerRatz; 09-06-2009, 11:54 AM.
            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

rick.
              This is why I brought it up again. Maybe there is new technology. Maybe Ridgid will take notice that this may be a desired product option.

As a guy who would use a camera once every couple of months a cheaper entry with a full size camera reel would be a nice option. I know I can go rent a camera but I'm an hour from a city with a rental.
              www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Originally posted by Trent2 View Post
                This is why I brought it up again. Maybe there is new technology. Maybe Ridgid will take notice that this may be a desired product option.

As a guy who would use a camera once every couple of months a cheaper entry with a full size camera reel would be a nice option. I know I can go rent a camera but I'm an hour from a city with a rental.

Heck I can't even rent one in these parts. Plus it's not a big money making market here. Banks won't give loans. Better off saving and paying cash. To keep monthly expenses low. "Only way to survive here"

Saving is the problem I charge plenty for this area it's just lack of call volume that's killing me. Another 5-6 calls a month would be great .
                Really don't want used maybe buying someone's headache.
                I know once I buy one new technology will be out with pan and tilt push cameras with digital recording
                Last edited by UnClogNH; 09-06-2009, 02:10 PM.
                Rod
                MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                http://unclognh.com
                http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Working...
                X