push cable lube?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• push cable lube?

I used my seesnake on clay pipe today and when i pulled it back, I noticed some abrasion between @150' - 230' (when I had to use more effort to push the cable). I ran water with the snake. Plastic doesnt do that. Is there a lube that can be used or is this "normal" for this kind of pipe. guess I gotta charge more for clay.

Also I gotta locate a lateral. I sent the camera down a manhole through 6" clay and located a combo. On monday I was thinking of going to the next manhole down stream and sending the camera 12' down a manhole, 190' up 6" clay, and tying a string to the head to try to get the camera into the branch, and hopefully another 100'or so to locate a possible tie in for a project. Am I shooting for the stars or does anyone think its do'able

Re: push cable lube?

I use dish soap in a bottle, soap suds don't seem to happen like a person does doing dishes.
    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

You have to locate the 4" service and the only access if from the main, correct?

how close to the saddle is the closest manhole?

You'll need to get in the manhole to do what I'm thinking of, so do you have confined space equipment?

I've had success with a mini (yours sounds like the full size) stringing sections of 1 1/2" pvc electrical conduit short enough to lay down in the invert with a cut down sweep on the end onto the camera pushrod, then pushing it section by section into the main, ferncoing the sections together as I go, until the sweep points me at the saddle. then push into saddle and up the service. needs to be pretty close to a manhole to do it. I've not done more than 30' or so away from manhole.

if I could have done it with a string, I would have.
      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Thanks guys, got tied up this weekend with grandma
        The saddle is 211 feet from the upper manhole and the next manhole is 400 feed downstream, so it sounds like it would be iffy pushing 190' of conduit up the line. The bummer is the sewer line runs right down the middle of a 2 lane road - back to sport digging
        Bryan

Comment

Poly-Gel cable pulling lubricant available from the local electrical wholesale supply house might work. It's what electricians use on cables being pulled through conduit when it's a tight run. You could also use some gasket lube from the plumbing supply but the Poly-Gel is a bit more "clean" to work with and seems to have more slip and slide to it.

Comment

Don't know if this will be of any help, but as an old retired Lineman working in manholes, I'ved used either a fiberglass snake or ten foot sections to rod over four hundred feet by hand. 4" tile/clay, concrete and iron pipe, not much difference but if I had to use a lube, it took an awful lot of it to go that distance without drying or rubbing off. I know you guys run into cracks and obstructions from roots, so that would make the use of lube even more difficult. One last trick we would use when rodding by hand was a small rubber ball at the tip of the snake to help ease the snake over any bumps along the way. Guess if you were gonna try that with your seesnake, you would have to somehow attach with black ties or tape a foot or two back from the tip? Interesting reading how your inspection tool works, wish we had such things.

Comment

Thanks, the issue is on hold while we try to get some info on the lateral. Maybe having the "old timers" out there and knowing where the saddle is will jog someones memory.

Comment

Had a demo with the Ridgid rep today. Camera & locater. He mentioned that there are several different types of guides available for the mini seesnake. Ball guides, centering star guides, guide hoops. Even more for the seesnake. Would probably help with wear, wont with direction.

Comment

Originally posted by RealLivePlumber View Post
                  Had a demo with the Ridgid rep today. Camera & locater. He mentioned that there are several different types of guides available for the mini seesnake. Ball guides, centering star guides, guide hoops. Even more for the seesnake. Would probably help with wear, wont with direction.
                  I have found the star guides to be the best as you can bend them to make it around bends and seperations.
                  Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Working...
                  X