Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best way to locate this?

Originally posted by RDT View Post
    You can also try to direct connecting the Brick directly to the cast iron line and doing a line locate. If the soil is wet around the pipe then the current may bleed off, but on a dry day you should be able to locate it.

Also, if you ground to the water line, keep in mind that the water line is now part of your circuit, Your current is probably stronger on a copper water line than on a camera push rod or cast iron line.
    I just now saw this post

How far can I expect to trace a cast iron pipe using this direct connection?

That makes sense about the current on the copper water line. That may be why I got some signals where I know there was no sewer I'm such a noob at this

Thanks for the tips guys

Comment

The distance that you can trace cast iron pipe will vary depending on the conditions. The signal will follow the path of least resistance, so if the pipe is in sandy soil, the pipe is the path of least resistance and I would expect you could follow it several hundred yards and probably much further. If the soil is wet it may limit how far you can trace line.

If you can not trace as far as you would like, move the transmitter to the point where the signal drops off and turn it to induction mode. You should be able to pick up the signal at that point and continue the trace. Repeat this leapfrog process until you trace the entire pipe. Be cautious of bleedoff when using induction mode if there are other lines in the area.

Comment

I would imagine the air void actually produces less shielding for the transmitter RF signal than soil. So that should actually improve the signal strength available for the receiver. If it's 15 feet deep in the alley, I'm thinking the line may simply be too deep for your locate receiver/transmitter combo. Most units seem to say they are good to 10'. There's an RD 7000 DL locator that claims to be good to 16-20'.

I recently used a MyTana locate receiver recently that couldn't pickup a signal at 10'-6" of depth from a 5" cast Iron line in sand. However, MyTana designed and created (for that job) a special transmitter that fit just ahead of the camera head with a stronger signal. Can you believe that?! What customer service!!!! The same locator then functioned much better and was able to receive the signal.
        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
          I would imagine the air void actually produces less shielding for the transmitter RF signal than soil. So that should actually improve the signal strength available for the receiver. If it's 15 feet deep in the alley, I'm thinking the line may simply be too deep for your locate receiver/transmitter combo. Most units seem to say they are good to 10'. There's an RD 7000 DL locator that claims to be good to 16-20'.

I recently used a MyTana locate receiver recently that couldn't pickup a signal at 10'-6" of depth from a 5" cast Iron line in sand. However, MyTana designed and created (for that job) a special transmitter that fit just ahead of the camera head with a stronger signal. Can you believe that?! What customer service!!!! The same locator then functioned much better and was able to receive the signal.
          I would have tried a Ridgid locator. I don't garuntee locates at 10' with the ridgid locator but I am usually close. I had a Mytana locator and still had to call in a guy with a ridgid locator quite often. It took some skill I did not have to operate. Mytana gave me a full credit to for it because I was buying there M81 sewer machine. I was very happy they did that. They are a good company to be sure. Just a lame locator

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
            They have been treating me great since the early 90s!

Comment

Working...
            X