X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to locate this?

Found a broken and backgraded sewer line inder a slab this week with the camera. Attempted to locate using the sonde transmitter and Ridgid Scout for repairs but got some really strange readings.

Looks like the slab was poured over loose soil some 100 years ago. Over time, the ground settled and left a void under the slab. In some places over 2 feet. (We know this because we punched a hole in the concrete and were able to see the entire slab from underneath) This has also caused the sewer to belly and separate at a few joints.

Trying to quote for a repair is difficult because this house sits on a corner lot. Sewer could run out the front, side or rear ally. I have no idea without a good locate. The readings were all over the place and I suspect it's because of the void under the slab. I can locate with confidence up to the 4" sweeps but after that, who knows where it goes.

Any suggestions on what method might work best to locate with certainty?

Attachment
    Attached Files

Re: Best way to locate this?

I got into a clay lateral one time that I could not locate for the life of me.

This was also on a corner lot. Could run to street 1 or street 2. I ended up pushing camera into the clay main and locating at the tie in.

For some reason that lateral was pushing my signal all over the place. The second I entered the main I got a positive signal. Pull back 2' into the lateral and signal went bonkers again.

The HO is saving up for a dig up. When it's done they are going to call me so I can get a few sections of the lateral.
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

By the way, Love the perplexed look on the stick figures face
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

do you have a brick? you could line trace it? or you could this would take 2 people... have one on the snake, pushing and pulling back every few feet to get a reading with the 2nd person on the scout marking the path.
        the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

Yea I did the same thing. Got a good hit in the ally out back but the camera footage doesn't match up. It's also over 15 feet deep back there and not confident enough to make that call for sure.

Comment

Yea I did use the Brick. Once I got to the sweeps the signal went blank and scattered

Comment

once you pushed past the sweeps did you get the signal again? going vertical will scatter the signal.

Comment

Nope, once I got the the sonde horizontal again it goes haywire. Same thing with the Brick attached to the cable. I tried all frequencies and power settings.

Could the void under the concrete be causing the signal to scatter?

Comment

i wouldn't think so. do you get signal past that point?

Comment

i've found that electrical signals near a locate can throw things off as well as salt content of the soil. ferrous metals in the ground can give screwy readings.

i can't see where clay or an air void would throw things off.

steve
                    In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Now you all have me thinking I'm doing something wrong

Pipe full of water wouldn't affect it, right?

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                        Yea I did the same thing. Got a good hit in the ally out back but the camera footage doesn't match up.
                        Is this anything like an alley?
                        I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                          Found a broken and backgraded sewer line inder a slab this week with the camera.
                          Is this anything like under?
                          I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

What is it with you? Are you a grammarian also?

Or do you have some sort of CSD? (Compulsive Spelling Disorder)

Comment

you might what to have the dig it people come out and locate the power, cable etc. that way you can eliminate the posibilty of any other power source.

Comment

Working...
                              X