X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love this Archos 705!

Thanks Vance G! I read your post about not using a laptop and even though I already had the LCD/DVD monitor recorder system I had been having a rash of customers losing the dvd I gave them, so I needed a way to back up my job footage so I bought the archos 705. Kinda of big but the screen size is great!
    Now While I am inspecting a line I turn on the archos and it sits there and records the whole inspection and can even make a dvd at the same time to hand over if needed and I get the whole thing on my pc at home for my records. I can edit stills to be emailed to customers. Still learning the recording voice part but to have digital footage is great!
    Seattle Drain Service

Re: I love this Archos 705!

how much extra junk and wires and stuff is it? I want a dvr of some sort... deliberating between this and the vosonic

vosonic i kind of liked as the hard drive swaps out... easy upgrade later... though I doubt I'll ever need a terabyte in the field.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

how does the archos plug into the camera or do you plug it into the monitor?
      the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
        Thanks Vance G! I read your post about not using a laptop and even though I already had the LCD/DVD monitor recorder system I had been having a rash of customers losing the dvd I gave them, so I needed a way to back up my job footage so I bought the archos 705. Kinda of big but the screen size is great!
        Now While I am inspecting a line I turn on the archos and it sits there and records the whole inspection and can even make a dvd at the same time to hand over if needed and I get the whole thing on my pc at home for my records. I can edit stills to be emailed to customers. Still learning the recording voice part but to have digital footage is great!
        Glad it's working for you. I like mine too.

Be VERY careful to watch for it to switch into "protected" mode - where it thinks you are trying to pirate a DVD or something. You will see this in the upper right corner of the screen:

(P)

and you will notice that the VIDXXXX filenumber has increased by 1.

It will keep recording at this point, BUT you won't be able to play back the video on anything but the 705.

When mine do this, I just STOP then ESC - ESC back to the main screen and start recording again.

Then I use VirtualDub to append all the video clips together into one clip for archiving.

It may sound like this is a lot of work, but it really isn't. I can live with it because the system is so great otherwise. And I do my editing on a dual Xeon system that rips through video chores.

If it isn't happening to you, I gotta wonder if it isn't a problem with B/W video vs. color. All my cams are B/W.
        Last edited by Vance G; 09-20-2009, 09:37 PM.

Comment

i just started using the ridgid dvdpack.

had to take it on a plane along with my camera gear and all those in attendance were very impressed with the picture, screen viewing angle and ease of making dvd chapters for the 28 lines i needed to film.

easy to travel with/ carry on. can swap between a/c and battery pack without worry. can connect to the any seesnake camera made, has picture invert, transmitter button, line trace, microphone switch.

simple to use and easy to learn. plug and play.

i used it for the first time 1600 miles from home and impressed everyone present. joey i'm ready for next month

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, does the DVDpac have an option for onscreen text and or sound comments yet?

I have been shopping over the last few days and really like the idea of onscreen text and sound commentary ( I know you like sound).

If I'm reading system capabilities correctly the LCD Pac is the only system that is being designed with Text entry in mind.

I'm guessing that the Archos in this thread is being used as a digital recorder only (no sound or text options either)

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
              how much extra junk and wires and stuff is it? I want a dvr of some sort... deliberating between this and the vosonic

vosonic i kind of liked as the hard drive swaps out... easy upgrade later... though I doubt I'll ever need a terabyte in the field.
              Only 1 wire from the dvr that splits into rca jack that plugs into the monitor.
              It makes it so easy to show footage when done to the customer. Big bright screen and it's in my hand. Or it has a little stand on back to place on a table to view.
              Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                Rick, does the DVDpac have an option for onscreen text and or sound comments yet?

I have been shopping over the last few days and really like the idea of onscreen text and sound commentary ( I know you like sound).

If I'm reading system capabilities correctly the LCD Pac is the only system that is being designed with Text entry in mind.

I'm guessing that the Archos in this thread is being used as a digital recorder only (no sound or text options either)

Bill
                Oh it has sound! Text you have to buy a little title keyboard but easy to do if that what you want.
                Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Working...
                X