X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another locate question

So I've had a scout for about a year now. Used it a bunch of times locating sewers and had great luck.

I've got one coming up, however, that I think will be more of a challenge. I'll try to get all the info out, but I'm sure I'll forget something so ask for more info if needed.

The house i will be going to sits way up on a bluff. The hill is steep enough that walking it is doable as long as you have a tree to grab and pull yourself along and the road switches back and forth numerous times to get to the top.

The sewer runs down the hill somewhere. Supposedly it's bad somewhere, and I'm to inspect and locate it.

I think I can handle the locate ok as I've ran into tilted sondes before.

Will I get the same type of readings?

Depth has me somewhat concerned. I've been under the impression that the scout should be perpendicular to the sonde to get an accurate depth?

Will I get an accurate depth reading or will I have to force a depth reading? I simply can't tilt the scout to make it perpendicular to the sonde right?

EDIT: I typed this out, and as I reread it, I think I'm over thinking it a little. I almost deleted it, but I'll leave it up for your thoughts. Go easy on me.

Re: Another locate question

I'm not the one to answer but...

For anyone that hasn't checked it out lately Ridgid has recently updated the training videos on locating

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Utility-...g/EN/index.htm

Helped me understand locating a lot better

Comment

i've done locates on slopes of around 45 degrees. the trick is to get as perpendicular to the sonde as possible. but the pitch may not be in line with the slope. i also tell everyone that the locate is as close as i can interpret but the conditions may not give an exact locate. at least they don't have to dig up the world to get to a small spot.

good luck

steve
      In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lmpg View Post
        ...Will I get the same type of readings? I've been under the impression that the scout should be perpendicular to the sonde to get an accurate depth?
        The rule of thumb for Ridgid's NaviTrack and SeekTech receiver's is this:
        When dealing with a tilted sonde, pinpoint the sonde’s position using the signal strength reading -- it will be strongest when you're directly over the sonde.

To measure depth (distance to the sonde, technically speaking) with the Scout:
        Position the receiver directly over the sonde, orient it vertically, and rotate it until the depth reading appears (If you see a slight variation in depth readings as you rotate the receiver, the lowest reading is likely the most accurate).

Explanation below...

The Scout's lower antenna ball is omni-directional, meaning that it picks up the signal equally from all directions. This antenna provides Scout with two different types of signal measurements: Angle and Strength.

The mapping portion of display uses the Angle information to calculate and display the position of the poles and equator. The mapping calculations are based on the assumption that both the sonde and receiver are horizontal (approximately, not absolutely) and will only be accurate when this is the case.

The signal strength readout, however, doesn't care about the angle, it only cares about the signal’s absolute Strength, and because the antenna is omni-directional it doesn't matter whether or not the sonde and receiver are perpendicular.

The upper antenna provides the signal information needed to calculate depth. Unlike other Ridgid receivers, however, Scout’s top antenna is not omni-directional, which is why you need to rotate the receiver to get a reading.

When locating a sonde using just the Signal Strength reading, keep this principle in mind: To determine where the sonde IS, you need to first determine where it ISN'T. What this means is that when you think you've found the point where the signal is strongest, you need to move away from it in all four directions to make sure that the signal actually drops. Here's a quick tutorial:
        - Sweep to find the sonde's general direction
        (hold the receiver in front of you, arm fully extended, with the mast aimed towards the ground at about a 45 degree angle)
        - When you've determined the sonde's general direction, lower the receiver to its vertical orientation and walk towards it
        - When the signal drops, STOP, you've just walked past the sonde

OK, let's pause here for a moment. Let's say that you just walked west to east. You know that the sonde is somewhere between where you are now and where you started -- that's two directions where the sonde isn't. Back to the tutorial...

- Move back to where the signal seemed highest, and using this as your starting point use large movements -- say 3 feet each direction -- to check in your final two directions (north-south, in our example)
        - If the signal is higher in one of the two remaining directions, use that as your starting point and check again in the remaining directions
        - Once you've zeroed in on the sonde's approximate location, you can use slower, smaller movements to pinpoint its exact position

When taking a depth reading,
        always remember that the depth reading is really a measurement of the distance from the bottom of the lower antenna ball to the sonde.

NOTE: Pics show NaviTrack2, but the same principal applies to Scout
        Attached Files
        Last edited by irguy; 10-09-2009, 10:18 AM. Reason: Addeed tutorial and supporting graphics

Comment

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation, irguy.

Having a better understanding of how the scout works and gathers it's info helps greatly.

Comment

You will see that one pole is closer than the other thats a sign of the head laying down hill. I have never had any problems as lond as its not vertical.

Comment

Working...
              X