Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Leak Detector

Does Ridgid have one? If not, why not?

Where can I get equipment, but more importantly, training in doing the deed?

I've got a 15 year old Goldac that never did work right.
    (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Re: Water Leak Detector

Ridgid does not make a leak detector. I asked them why not one time, and they said to much relies on the operator to want to get into the leak locating business. It makes sense to me, the SeeSnakes and Navitracks, etc are so easy to use, even an idiot could be accurate on the first try. You just can't guarantee that level of success with a leak detection tool and a bad operator.

As far as equipment, I use my Ridgid brick to energize the copper line and my Scout to trace it. Then I follow the line with my leak detector. I used to use a General GenEar until last week when I found it broken two days before I needed it. I quickly purchased a Goldak 777 to replace it with. I haven't used it enough yet to say if I like it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Drip Trip View Post
      Does Ridgid have one? If not, why not?

Where can I get equipment, but more importantly, training in doing the deed?

I've got a 15 year old Goldac that never did work right.
      Ebay usally has some for sale. I have been trying to find a class or school for a year and still cant find one. Metrotech used to have a class but not anymore Im in S Florida but willing to travel to learn. If I ever find one ill post please do the same if you find one.
      You can lose with me, but you can't win without me!.... PPI

Comment

We were using a Fisher XLT30 but have had a lot of issues locating/listening due to background/outside noise. We have since switched to a Helium detector with great results. By pumping Helium and air into the water line the helium will seek air. Then using the helium detector you look for the leak. It does help if you know the location of the water line by locating it. If it is plastic then it takes more time.

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandS&D View Post
          We were using a Fisher XLT30 but have had a lot of issues locating/listening due to background/outside noise. We have since switched to a Helium detector with great results. By pumping Helium and air into the water line the helium will seek air. Then using the helium detector you look for the leak. It does help if you know the location of the water line by locating it. If it is plastic then it takes more time.
          Yet another service I can use you guys for!

Comment

I'm also looking to buy a listening device for locating water pipe leaks under the slab. Has anybody had any expiereinece with LEAK PRO (i'm not smart enough to attach a link to there web site).
            From researching the forum it sounds like the best tool is the Metrotech HL5000. They also have a much cheaper HL90 that looks good to me but maybe someone with experience could advise me. I want to spend as little as possible but definetly dont want to end up with something Im not satisfied with.

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandS&D View Post
              By pumping Helium and air into the water line the helium will seek air. Then using the helium detector you look for the leak. It does help if you know the location of the water line by locating it. If it is plastic then it takes more time.
              I would suggest everyone who wants to start up with leak detection to investigate the Hydrogen Method. This is a tracer gas method similar to using Helium, but using FORMIER-5 which is a mixture of 5% Hydrogen and 95% Nitrogen. The advantages over Helium is that Hydrogen is lighter and makes its way to the surface quicker, and I believe also that high sensitivity Hydrogen detectors are cheaper than Helium detectors of similar ppm sensitivity.

Under no circumstance use any other tracer gas than FORMIER-5 for this method. Hydrogen is flameable and explosive if used in higher concentrations than 5%. FORMIER-5 is non-flamable, but training and certification for working with pressurized gasses is strongly recommended.
              Regards,
              Severin A Eskeland, Eskeland Electronics AS, N-1400 Ski, NORWAY
              www.Detektor.no > Metal Detectors, Line Locators, Leak Detectors, Inspection Cameras, Data Loggers and Fault Locators

Comment

Originally posted by santander View Post
                I would suggest everyone who wants to start up with leak detection to investigate the Hydrogen Method. This is a tracer gas method similar to using Helium, but using FORMIER-5 which is a mixture of 5% Hydrogen and 95% Nitrogen. The advantages over Helium is that Hydrogen is lighter and makes its way to the surface quicker, and I believe also that high sensitivity Hydrogen detectors are cheaper than Helium detectors of similar ppm sensitivity.

Under no circumstance use any other tracer gas than FORMIER-5 for this method. Hydrogen is flameable and explosive if used in higher concentrations than 5%. FORMIER-5 is non-flamable, but training and certification for working with pressurized gasses is strongly recommended.

The welding shield gas??? I'm guessing that this method is used in Europe.

I just use 134A Refigerant and a refigerant leak detector This is what I do. ( Please send all royalty checks to Okiebill)

Bill

Comment

I have heard of people using an infrared water leak detector, and said it is the best way to locate. I had a customer call in the other day to see if we carried them but we don't and was trying to refer him to a company that does. Anyone know anything.

Comment

i would think they're referring to an infared camera. it would pick up on heat loss and should direct you towards the leak, hot or cold.

mark would have much more input. but remember that the good stuff cost big money, like 30k

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Hey if you know of a name brand I would appreciate it I have been trying to track the guys down that use it and no luck.

Comment

fluke is 1 of the major suppliers and they offer a large variety of ir cameras.

http://us.fluke.com/usen/products/Ca...k=thermography

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

I'll look into it thanks Rick.

Comment

Thermal imaging works great for leaks in slabs.

The lowest cost one i've seen was made by "Flir"

It wasn't as nice as the ones we used to use at the Fire Department, but it worked pretty well.

Comment

Hey thanks again guys. The only one we currently sell is the gen eye ear and I hear it is hit or miss. I have done a lot of drain cleaning and cameras but no leak detection. I have heard from customers that the infrared or thermal imaging is the way to go but its pricey. One more question how does it work in the yard, and does concrete cause any issues.

Comment

Working...
                              X